Thread: Wildcard perspective

Wildcard perspective

Look around the league, outside of the Texans and Ravens, there isn't an AFC team with a record better than 3-3.

Yes it's early, yes there's a long way to go. But the sky isn't falling. All this frustration and perceived mediocrity, every team goes through that in some sort of way.

We could be in first place this time next week, we might not be. But all isn't over, and the possibilities are endless.

Stop complaining and let's have fun.

Agreed. I love the parity. This is what makes football (NFL) a great sport. I would hate to live in a city that never has any hope to make the playoffs.

AFC is pretty horrible this season. Jets can stay in the wildcard race all year as long as they hover around .500

Bah. Jets are in 1st place. Percentage Points are crap, IMO.

DIVISION WINS are what matter and the Jets have more than New England(at the moment).....

All League
    If the playoffs started today, the Jets would win the division and host the pats in the first round.

i suspect this may be the high point of the season...

All Pro
    Although many posters here felt that the Miami win was a low point (due to the nature of the win / overall performance), I think it could be huge come season's end. Away wins are tough to get at the best of times, away wins against a division foe are even harder.

And how come after so many years of suckitude, the NFC West suddenly gets hot the year we play them?

While I agree that right now it looks good, I said it after the game and I will say it again.

I just feel like this win was one of the worst thing that could have happened to the Jets this season as far as playoff chances go. The amount of false confidence after this win over the Colts has saved Sanchez's job and built over confidence in the fan base that will mask this team's very obvious problems for at least another 3 weeks.

By then it will be past the trade line and too late to do anything about it. Green's running yesterday was a total aberration and I'm willing to stick by that until the Jets can do it against a decent defense.

Not too late to trade for a good running back, but the fan base has been placated by this win enough, that I feel no pressure will be placed on the front office to do anything about this season before the trade line.

FWIW, Ravens D may be in trouble coming up. Schefter reporting Ray Lewis may be out for the year, Ngata with a knee injury (MCL), Ladarius Webb out as well. That D hasn't been it's normal self as is, so this injury bug might slow that team down a bit. Maybe other teams try to exploit similar deficiencies found by the Packers. This was a big week of fail for the AFC leaders, maybe even more parity coming.

Jets Insider VIP
    I read this morning that if the playoffs started today the Jets would be the 5th seed.

Veteran
    Whichfan sucks as a fan, an Im sure that sucka s mentaility extends to other areas of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Fanatic View Post
    Whichfan sucks as a fan, an Im sure that sucka s mentaility extends to other areas of his life.
    Well if you think I suck as a Jets fan, then that makes me feel good about myself. I was afraid being around here rooting for Tebow might make the Jets rub off on me too much.

Glad to know it's not happening

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    I read this morning that if the playoffs started today the Jets would be the 5th seed.
    Correct. Buffalo would be the 6th. [Pats 4th]

So - the only 'expected' AFC teams on the outs at the moment would be the Bengals, Steelers and Denver - Miami if you really want to count them. So, basically 10 teams with a realistic view to 6 spots. The Jets could easily have the tie-breaker over both the Bills and Dolphins.

Its premature to think about playoffs, but the Jets currently rank no worse than 8th in the AFC playoff picture. That SD home game is shaping up as an important one.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Correct. Buffalo would be the 6th. [Pats 4th]

So - the only 'expected' AFC teams on the outs at the moment would be the Bengals, Steelers and Denver - Miami if you really want to count them. So, basically 10 teams with a realistic view to 6 spots. The Jets could easily have the tie-breaker over both the Bills and Dolphins.

Its premature to think about playoffs, but the Jets currently rank no worse than 8th in the AFC playoff picture. That SD home game is shaping up as an important one.
    How are the Pats above the Jets? They Jets currently hold the tie breaker with division wins so Jets should be the div winner @ #4 slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Fanatic View Post
    He is a Patriot-fan Troll! lol

Did you think he was a Jets fan?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    How are the Pats above the Jets? They Jets currently hold the tie breaker with division wins so Jets should be the div winner @ #4 slot.
    Too bad the regular season does not end on October 14th.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Too bad the regular season does not end on October 14th.
    We'll know a lot more next weekend

Pats lose next weekend - hmm, things will definitely get sideways up in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    Look around the league, outside of the Texans and Ravens, there isn't an AFC team with a record better than 3-3.

Yes it's early, yes there's a long way to go. But the sky isn't falling. All this frustration and perceived mediocrity, every team goes through that in some sort of way.

We could be in first place this time next week, we might not be. But all isn't over, and the possibilities are endless.

Stop complaining and let's have fun.
    I agree 100% We all knew this was going to be a crazy year at the start with the replacement refs and it is continuing. The season will be half over in 2 weeks which I cannot believe but it feels good to be in first place after 6. I mean you can't complain but everyone will be again if we lose to the Pats. The Pats should win that game but that shouldn't mean the Jets need to make some changes. The big thing is if the Jets can keep improving their play like they have been doing. They always play better as dogs too but I cannot see NE losing 2 straight especially coming back home. It should be a roller coaster ride till the end so just jump on and try to enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Although many posters here felt that the Miami win was a low point (due to the nature of the win / overall performance), I think it could be huge come season's end. Away wins are tough to get at the best of times, away wins against a division foe are even harder.

And how come after so many years of suckitude, the NFC West suddenly gets hot the year we play them?
    Jets should wipe the floor with Cards & Rams!
    Away vs Seattle? Wilson won't have 7 plays over 20yards vs our Jets.
    Never know- you can win an ugly 13-10 vs Hawks as long as Sanchez PROTECTS the ball.
    Can't have TOs on the road.