Thread: The Evolution of The Gang Green

The Evolution of The Gang Green

The days of Rex's surplus of 7 man rushes are over. Gone are the days of ferocious blitz's bringing a plethora of rushers to the passer. Our aging linebackers are lacking in athleticism, speed, and agility, and we're starting to see a new trend in this one time dynamic defense.

Watching Coples dominate this entire game has lead me to believe we really need to start running a 4-3 front a majority of the time. Coples, especially in the interior, is a sensational pass rusher. We need to see more of this type of play. A 4-3 front of Coples, Wilkerson, Pouha/Ellis, and Maybin would be a much more efficient pass rush, as well as a greater run D. Coples can work on the interior as well, as he has a little Justin Tuck to his game. A 4-3 shift would also open up an opportunity for emerging rookie Demario Davis, as his style of play would best suit a 4-3. Harris - Davis - McIntyre LB corps would provide sure tacklers, speed, youth, and athleticism.

This defense still has loads of potential, it's time to evolve gang green!

I think they were in that look a lot this game with Coples, Devito, Wilk, and Maybin. Unfortunately I haven't seen pressure from any of the OLBs.

I did see Davis in for a lot of snaps today but didn't notice whether he was in for Scott or one of the OLBs. Hopefully Davis develops nicely into a pass rusher.

Veteran
    yea, a 4-3 would be good for us... but LOL at the notion of being a 4-3 backer. no shot in hell. too slow n is a coverage liability.

Quote Originally Posted by ListerFiend View Post
    yea, a 4-3 would be good for us... but LOL at the notion of being a 4-3 backer. no shot in hell. too slow n is a coverage liability.
    Agreed with the part about the 4-3 being a more appropriate base formation for the Jets given the personnel. But who's too slow - Davis? I thought he's actually considered and above average lb in terms of speed?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Agreed with the part about the 4-3 being a more appropriate base formation for the Jets given the personnel. But who's too slow - Davis? I thought he's actually considered and above average lb in terms of speed?
    My bad, forgot to type the player's name in there

I was talking about Harris.

Davis has the speed to potentially be a great MLB in a 4-3.

Harris, however, really wouldn't have a role in a 4-3.

Veteran
    I've been saying this for weeks - the 4-3. I re-watched the game film, focusing on Coples and he played really well on the inside.

On some plays where is lined up outside, he gets run past the pocket. I saw on one rush where he tried to come round the corner, under the LT, but it's not his best move.

Conversely - when he was inside - he had numerous times where he just powered through the line. When I watched Calvin Pace, he oftentimes gets stood up right upon contact with the O-line. Coples kept a nice lean and was compact, kept going forward. No two ways about it - he had a big game yesterday - and he looks significantly more comfortable on the inside.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    I've been saying this for weeks - the 4-3. I re-watched the game film, focusing on Coples and he played really well on the inside.

On some plays where is lined up outside, he gets run past the pocket. I saw on one rush where he tried to come round the corner, under the LT, but it's not his best move.

Conversely - when he was inside - he had numerous times where he just powered through the line. When I watched Calvin Pace, he oftentimes gets stood up right upon contact with the O-line. Coples kept a nice lean and was compact, kept going forward. No two ways about it - he had a big game yesterday - and he looks significantly more comfortable on the inside.

I think he looks better on the outside in the 4-3 where his main objective is to rush the passer. He has the versatility to shift inside, but he should be an edge rusher with his hand in the dirt.

Pace is a joke.