Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calvin Pace needs to go.

Calvin Pace needs to go.

If he is on this team next year with that salary we have issues. Example one, on the reverse play by the Colts on the opening drive, Pace got pushed backwards by the lineman. He had no push. I watched him for at least 15 plays today. Every time he went to "rush" Luck, he couldn't get passed the lineman who was assigned to him. He got eaten up. One of Tannys worst signings imo.

Jets Insider VIP
    There's no way he's on the team next year.

All Pro
    He's gone next year.

Pace had so much promise at one time.

He's turned out to be a COLOSSAL Bust(maybe not of the Gholston variety but certainly not living up to what he should be).

He BETTER *NOT* BE BACK next year. WE NEED SPEED at the LB position.

Veteran
    No way he's back next year. He had a nice play stringing out that reverse on the 1st series. After that, he disappeared, as usual.

All Pro
    Wayne Hunter was Mikes worst signing.

The Jets won! Jets are in first place in the AFCE!

A good day to be a Jet fan.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Pace had so much promise at one time.

He's turned out to be a COLOSSAL Bust(maybe not of the Gholston variety but certainly not living up to what he should be).

He BETTER *NOT* BE BACK next year. WE NEED SPEED at the LB position.
    He's not a bust, he's actually made some plays and is usually very stout against the run. However, he was grossly overpaid and overhyped, and I for one can't wait for his bloated contract and lack of speed to be off the team.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    He's not a bust, he's actually made some plays and is usually very stout against the run. However, he was grossly overpaid and overhyped, and I for one can't wait for his bloated contract and lack of speed to be off the team.
    he's had some good years, I thought he was okay last year but he's looked slower this year. are they using him as a 4-3 DE more this year than before? he's always been a better fit for the 3-4

Late in the game today Simms made a commentary on how our defense has some nice pieces in place going forward. He mentioned Coples & Wilkerson being good-looking first rounders, Revis/Cromartie, and our veteran safeties -- made NO mention of our linebackers. We really need to overhaul that unit after this year. Pace was a nice signing at the time but he looks about done now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    he's had some good years, I thought he was okay last year but he's looked slower this year. are they using him as a 4-3 DE more this year than before? he's always been a better fit for the 3-4
    I don't think it's scheme; age has just caught up to him and he wasn't a speed demon to begin with. But yeah, he's played a bunch at DE this season. Guess Rex is trying to maximize his use, knowing he's gone in 2013.

Pace has really slowed down the last 2 years and really has never been the player the Jets thought he was going to be.

He got the big contract then got caught with performance enhancing drugs so he really was not the player we expected.

This should be his last year with the team.

I also believe that Thomas and Scott will be gone next year as well so we will need 3 new LB's ,
    Last edited by JetFuel; 10-14-2012 at 08:47 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    Pace has really slowed down the last 2 years and really has never been the player the Jets thought he was going to be.

He got the big contract then got caught with performance enhancing drugs so he really was not the player we expected.

I also believe that Thomas and Scott will be gone next year as well so we will need 3 new LB's ,
    I wouldn't mind seeing Thomas come back. He's relatively cheap at this stage of his career and is good against the run. He's probably not a starter anymore after this season, but he'd be a very good backup. Pace, unfortunately, is done. No more Pace or Scott for me after 2012.

I said it like 100 times this off season we should have cut him this year and saved 3 mil more in cap next year. I just do not get how he is still on the team. Because we didn't want to take anther 1.8 mil hit this year we kept him I guess. Seems stupid to me I'd rather be watching a young guy that may shock me. We all know what we get with Pace which is to say not a whole hell of a lot.

Jets Insider VIP

Waitaminute....

it's sad how pathetic some people are they can't enjoy a win always looking to know the team. Enjoy the wins they are hard to earn in the NFL.

He's glacially slow and not that stout at the PoA. At this point I'd rather see them take their chances with Maybin getting washed out at the PoA, at least he brings backside pursuit to the table.
    Last edited by Jetworks; 10-15-2012 at 08:41 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I said it like 100 times this off season we should have cut him this year and saved 3 mil more in cap next year. I just do not get how he is still on the team. Because we didn't want to take anther 1.8 mil hit this year we kept him I guess. Seems stupid to me I'd rather be watching a young guy that may shock me. We all know what we get with Pace which is to say not a whole hell of a lot.
    There was NO way he could have been cut this year.....his count against dead money was way to high.

After further review, he probably won't be completely cut next year. His salary is about $11.5 next year, but the Jets can save $8.5 by cutting him. What they will probably do, rather than eat $3 million in dead money, is rework his deal to around $2-$2.5 million and he will become a situational pass rusher while they draft a younger guy to take his spot. That way, if the young guy struggles, Pace can step in.

He's not going to be here next year...

Pace was a good all around LB, not really great at any aspect. Now he's just old.

His contract will prolly be reworked, so he is back but only making a couple mil. He can prolly still be somewhat effective in a limited pass rushing role, rather than just eat the money we would still have to pay him if he was cut.

Hall Of Fame
    Decent (not great) talent + HGH + Contract year effort = Big contract from the Jets.

Several years later he is a shell of his former self which if truth be told was more hype than reality to begin with. We overpaid even during his best years with us but now that he has slipped noticeably, the degree of that overpayment is magnified.

This team really really really needs Demario Davis to be a solid contributor because even if he is we will still need to find 1 or 2 other LBs in order to restock the LB cupboard. I would hate to be looking at needing 2 or 3 linebackers this offseason if Davis does not pan out.

As a practical matter and with all of our other needs I think that fixing the LB corps is going to be a multi-offseason effort, at best. Especially with the media screaming about Rex taking all of the draft picks for the defensive side of the ball it will be difficult to take a LB in round one or two this year.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    This team really really really needs Demario Davis to be a solid contributor because even if he is we will still need to find 1 or 2 other LBs in order to restock the LB cupboard. I would hate to be looking at needing 2 or 3 linebackers this offseason if Davis does not pan out.

As a practical matter and with all of our other needs I think that fixing the LB corps is going to be a multi-offseason effort, at best. Especially with the media screaming about Rex taking all of the draft picks for the defensive side of the ball it will be difficult to take a LB in round one or two this year.
    I think that depends on the primary scheme the Jets will be running next year. If they plan to show more 4-man fronts in '13 and Davis shows himself to be a player in the middle, then you move Harris to the strong side and you're only looking for a weak-side backer in the offseason.

I love the thought of a Wilk, Coples, Ellis and Pouha/Devito front. That's a lot of meat to get through in the run game.