Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Did you see the two shots Wes Welker took today

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you see the two shots Wes Welker took today

Did you see the two shots Wes Welker took today? Well as usual he got smashed plenty but there were two in particular that were off the charts. This guy is not long for this game. Get out now Wes, especially with # 30 coming next week.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I feared for him on one of those. He looked so tiny out there too.

Not sure why I am *****ing about it on here but the Pats FO is beginning to piss me off with how much they are putting on Wes Welker. They need to pony up and pay for a real freaking WR already that can help him out.

We have been the only freaking top offense in the NFL without a true vertical threat at wide receiver since Randy Moss and while Lloyd is looking good, he's really just slightly above average talent at best. Wes is the biggest overachieving slot receiver in the history of the NFL.

Pathetic. We have as much of a deep vertical threat as Miami, Jacksonville and currently the Jets. Brady has to run 58 freaking pass plays, 5-7 yards at a time, because we don't have one guy on the entire team who can get down field.

Went from one extreme to the other. With Moss it was nothing but big bombs down field. Now it's everything but. I hate to admit it, but I think the Giants are still the most potent and balanced offense in the NFL.

Stay strong Wes but I wouldn't be surprised if he wants out of NE this year especially if they refuse to pay him. In a way, it might be what's best for both the team and him. Because only if he leaves, will they have no choice, but to pick up a true wide-out.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Landry gonna lay the wood on Wes...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    Yeah, I feared for him on one of those. He looked so tiny out there too.

Not sure why I am *****ing about it on here but the Pats FO is beginning to piss me off with how much they are putting on Wes Welker. They need to pony up and pay for a real freaking WR already that can help him out.

We have been the only freaking top offense in the NFL without a true vertical threat at wide receiver since Randy Moss and while Lloyd is looking good, he's really just slightly above average talent at best. Wes is the biggest overachieving slot receiver in the history of the NFL.

Pathetic. We have as much of a deep vertical threat as Miami, Jacksonville and currently the Jets. Brady has to run 58 freaking pass plays, 5-7 yards at a time, because we don't have one guy on the entire team who can get down field.

Went from one extreme to the other. With Moss it was nothing but big bombs down field. Now it's everything but. I hate to admit it, but I think the Giants are still the most potent and balanced offense in the NFL.

Stay strong Wes but I wouldn't be surprised if he wants out of NE this year especially if they refuse to pay him. In a way, it might be what's best for both the team and him. Because only if he leaves, will they have no choice, but to pick up a true wide-out.
    Pats are paying Welker over $9MM this year.

Do you really think Welker can continue to sustain hits like he did yesterday for another 3-4 years and continue to be as productive as he has been?

Pats made the right choice in not signing him to a long-term contract.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

Do you really think Welker can continue to sustain hits like he did yesterday for another 3-4 years and continue to be as productive as he has been?

So True, but I still admire his fearlessness. Whether its catching the ball over the middle running at top speed, or calling out BB for not playing him more. OK... it could be stupidity instead of fearlessness, but either way it's admirable.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets80 View Post
    Landry gonna lay the wood on Wes...
    And to think that some Jets fans said that Danny could not be used as a weapon!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Where you getting that from what I wrote?

No I don't think he can sustain it, that's why I want a true wide out and said it would probably be best if we part ways. Parting with Wes means we can finally move on to a more balanced passing offense. As long as he's around, he's too good not to find his way as Brady's primary receiver, but that's just going to continue our problems. We are sorely missing the deep threat and have been for years. As long as Wes is out there, Brady's going to be moving the chains through him, 5-7 yards at a time....and I feel it's actually weakening Brady's game too. He seems to have completely forgotten how to throw a deep ball when we have to.

Does Wes deserve to get paid though? Hell yes!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    tough to make a career out of catching passes over the middle, especially when you're 5'9

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    Where you getting that from what I wrote?

No I don't think he can sustain it, that's why I want a true wide out and said it would probably be best if we part ways. Parting with Wes means we can finally move on to a more balanced passing offense. As long as he's around, he's too good not to find his way as Brady's primary receiver, but that's just going to continue our problems. We are sorely missing the deep threat and have been for years. As long as Wes is out there, Brady's going to be moving the chains through him, 5-7 yards at a time....and I feel it's actually weakening Brady's game too. He seems to have completely forgotten how to throw a deep ball when we have to.

Does Wes deserve to get paid though? Hell yes!
    Why didn't the Patriots take a shot at Braylon Edwards in the off-season?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post
    Why didn't the Patriots take a shot at Braylon Edwards in the off-season?
    Wish I knew. We saw what he can do for Seattle and it's exactly what we needed. Maybe it was Wes's tag and contract situation...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

I know you've been consistent on this and I'm not saying you're wrong, but the guy continues to be an unbelievable producer and I'm not convinced that this year is his final one, as far as productivity goes.

As the other Patsie said, I'm not sure the Pats know what to do without him. Sure they'll still be a very good offense, but he seems to be the one cog that is irreplaceable over the long term. The Pats would certainly smart to lock up Hernandez and Gronk long term, but I'll be happy to see Welker off that team, for sure.

Going back to the OP - that was the hardest 100% clean hit that I've seen in a long time. Welker was shaken up for a sec but I think he was pointing to his sternum. He's GOTTA be sore today.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I know you've been consistent on this and I'm not saying you're wrong, but the guy continues to be an unbelievable producer and I'm not convinced that this year is his final one, as far as productivity goes.

As the other Patsie said, I'm not sure the Pats know what to do without him. Sure they'll still be a very good offense, but he seems to be the one cog that is irreplaceable over the long term. The Pats would certainly smart to lock up Hernandez and Gronk long term, but I'll be happy to see Welker off that team, for sure.

Going back to the OP - that was the hardest 100% clean hit that I've seen in a long time. Welker was shaken up for a sec but I think he was pointing to his sternum. He's GOTTA be sore today.
    Brady will be fine with Hernandez and Gronk to build around. Brady has gained a lot of confidence in those 2, and Edelman is up and coming as well.

Issue is right now I have no doubt Brady has become over reliant on Wes...and how can you blame him, for the most part Wes is Mr. Reliable. But I think it's one of those things where they complement each other because I also don't see anyone else being able to bring out of Wes what Brady and this offense can.

You're right though, this offense would simply be a different offense without Wes, and after what happened last SB, and again yesterday, I hate to say it, but that might not be such a bad thing.

Yesterday's game ended exactly as the SB did. Defenses have figured out how to bunker down on our 2 minute O, and know very well we're not going to be throwing outside the 10-12 yard range. Wes is nowhere to be found cause they make sure to wrap him up. His leaving could be a blessing in disguise, imo. Sometimes there comes a time where you have to split 2 guys up for the betterment of the team, and I'm afraid this could be one of those situations.

Our passing offense with Wes is similar to a one dimensional run team. If he would take less money and play a lesser role, as a slot receiver(his natural position), I'd love to have Wes until he retires, but I feel as long as he's on the Patriots and as long as Brady is the QB, he will continue to be the primary target.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    5 years from now you are going to see Wes on the cover of SI with Jim McMahon, neither one knowing who they are, what magazine they are on the cover of, or why some one is taking their picture.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Welker's last 4 games have been unbelievable.

I don't know how he even got up after those two hits yesterday.

Somewhere down the line (and I agree with you, probably not this year or next), Welker's production will not slowly decline, but it will fall off the face of the earth.

That's why I believe a long-term contract is not in the Pats best interest.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welker's last 4 games have been unbelievable.

I don't know how he even got up after those two hits yesterday.

Somewhere down the line (and I agree with you, probably not this year or next), Welker's production will not slowly decline, but it will fall off the face of the earth.

That's why I believe a long-term contract is not in the Pats best interest.
    He is reaching Chrebet-like status. Root for the white guy, but hope he doesn't take that inevitable "never going to look at ceiling fans again" concussion

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    5 years from now you are going to see Wes on the cover of SI with Jim McMahon, neither one knowing who they are, what magazine they are on the cover of, or why some one is taking their picture.
    Yeah - if there is one guy that comes to mind for taking way too many scary hits over the past few years it is Welker. I don't care what doctors may say - concussion or not - there is no way those hits aren't going to add up to something, sad to say.