Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Jets can beat the Pats

The Jets can beat the Pats

Despite everything that has gone wrong the Jets are tied for 1st place and about to play a very important game with their division rivals who are very beatable.

According to the Globe "The Patriots defense, as it turns out, is just what Russell Wilson and his supporting cast needed. Wilson nearly doubled his touchdown total -- five coming in -- in one game against the Patriots. The formula for being moderately successful defensively is fairly simple: don't give up big plays. It's the mantra of coach Bill Belichick. ... Yet the Patriots keep allowing them. And opponents know they are going to give them up if the Patriots don't develop a consistent pass rush that can't do more than spark up here or there. "Definitely," Seahawks receiver Sidney Rice said. "We studied film and the first thing we said was, 'We'll have opportunities to take passes down the field and all we had to do was take advantage of it.'"

The Jets can win if they don't make any stupid mistakes and if they can get to Brady. If Brady has time to throw it's going to be a long day

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree. The game is winnable but the Jets need to play closer to a "perfect" game than the Patriots do in order to win. I still think the Pats will win because, all other things being equal (which they're not) the Jets are still undermanned without Revis and Holmes, and the Pats have Tom Brady.

All League
    Just throw the ball downfield and enjoy. To say the secondary is horrid is an insult to the adjective horrid.

With Revis and Holmes - maybe.
    Now - NET.

On offense it will come down to pass protection and allowing big plays to develop, as well as getting Greene going to force them to cover the box.

On the other side tho we need to get to Brady. We cannot allow him to sit back and pick apart the secondary. That's how Seattle won, by throwing off the timing of the Pats receivers and getting pressure on Brady and making him throw early

Veteran
    Simple, hit Brady and they can win. If Brady is back there on a rocking chair it could be a blow out. Also, can the Jets deal with the no-huddle?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    Simple, hit Brady and they can win. If Brady is back there on a rocking chair it could be a blow out. Also, can the Jets deal with the no-huddle?
    Tanny and REX drafted particularly and especially for games like this.

We will see...

I say VLAD has a BIG GAME!

Jets Insider VIP
    We havent figured out how to stop Welker, gronk or hernandez. I dont see us winning. I dont even thinnk it is going to be close.

But I thought the colts wre going to blow us out so ill happily be wrong again.

Jets Insider VIP
    I hate to admit it but I just don't see it. Our defense is just to slow to keep up with their weapons considering that we struggle so bad at getting pressure.

I'd be shocked if we didn't lose by at least two TD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I hate to admit it but I just don't see it. Our defense is just to slow to keep up with their weapons considering that we struggle so bad at getting pressure.

+1

Anytime Scott and Pace are on the field I fully expect Brady to run no-huddle, they will get Woodhead/Ridley on a LB and pick our D apart.

Jets need to score 30 points to win, they will not and Sanchez will probably have a decent statline but it won't be good enough.

This has all the makings of a 38-17 win

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    We havent figured out how to stop Welker, gronk or hernandez. I dont see us winning. I dont even thinnk it is going to be close.

But I thought the colts wre going to blow us out so ill happily be wrong again.
    At least one of those guys ends up with 150 yards receiving. Book it.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post

Well last year our starting Safeties were Smith and Leonhard. I think Bell and Landry are an upgrade at both spots both in terms of both speed and hitting ability. Maybe a bit of a downgrade in stupid penalties but that's a trade I'll take, especially in terms of covering those TEs.

We might see even more of D. Davis and even A. Allen this week to bring up the speed factor. The big question of course is who is going to stop Welker.

The biggest difference vs. last year though (other than losing Revis) is that our front four (not front three) may actually get some pressure on Brady. Maybin and Coples made some noise last week, so it will be interesting to see if they can do that again, perhaps with the occasional Safety blitz.

Bottom line, it's a tough matchup, but I actually don't think lack of speed should be the problem for us unless we keep Pace and Thomas on the field for most of the snaps.

CANT WAIT for Landry to meet Woodhead.

There is NO WAY IN HELL we are beating the Pats. To beat them would require Sanchez to play above his normal sh!tass self. We all know what happens when Sanchez plays a team that can pressure the QB.

Pats = 38
    Jets = 17
    Last edited by GreenSpleen; 10-15-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Sanchez needs to have like a 300 yards 3 TD game for us to have a chance. His history playing in Foxboro says that is pretty unlikely. But Pats have made some mediocre QBs look pretty good this year...

On D, I don't think we match up very well. The advantage of Cromartie is negated in this matchup because he won't be on Welker, Gronk, or Hernandez for the most part. Pats have shown a physical running game this season and we haven't been able to stop that type of attack. I would be surprised if we hold them under 30 points.

Quote Originally Posted by LIDeadHead View Post
    CANT WAIT for Landry to meet Woodhead.
    I actually wonder if Landry, of all people, could physically knock Welker out of a game. Dude's brain has to be jelly, but that's the toughest mofo I've ever seen on a football field.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Well last year our starting Safeties were Smith and Leonhard. I think Bell and Landry are an upgrade at both spots both in terms of both speed and hitting ability. Maybe a bit of a downgrade in stupid penalties but that's a trade I'll take, especially in terms of covering those TEs.

We might see even more of D. Davis and even A. Allen this week to bring up the speed factor. The big question of course is who is going to stop Welker.

The biggest difference vs. last year though (other than losing Revis) is that our front four (not front three) may actually get some pressure on Brady. Maybin and Coples made some noise last week, so it will be interesting to see if they can do that again, perhaps with the occasional Safety blitz.

Bottom line, it's a tough matchup, but I actually don't think lack of speed should be the problem for us unless we keep Pace and Thomas on the field for most of the snaps.
    +1, especially on the bold.

I see no reason for Scott to be on the field next week except for short yardage situations (Pace too, except for passrushing). The starters at LB for this team are an easy target for Brady and the offense.

More Allen, more Davis, more Maybin and (dare I say it) more Erik Smith. Put 4 up front, trust the DL to hold down the running game and hope the extra DBs can stay with the receiving threats.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    The Jets can win if they don't make any stupid mistakes and if they can get to Brady. If Brady has time to throw it's going to be a long day
    It's going to be a long day. The Jets have nobody who can consistently rush the passer.

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    Despite everything that has gone wrong the Jets are tied for 1st place and about to play a very important game with their division rivals who are very beatable.

According to the Globe "The Patriots defense, as it turns out, is just what Russell Wilson and his supporting cast needed. Wilson nearly doubled his touchdown total -- five coming in -- in one game against the Patriots. The formula for being moderately successful defensively is fairly simple: don't give up big plays. It's the mantra of coach Bill Belichick. ... Yet the Patriots keep allowing them. And opponents know they are going to give them up if the Patriots don't develop a consistent pass rush that can't do more than spark up here or there. "Definitely," Seahawks receiver Sidney Rice said. "We studied film and the first thing we said was, 'We'll have opportunities to take passes down the field and all we had to do was take advantage of it.'"

But wait, I thought the Pats have the mighty Chandler Jones? I'm confused.

All League
    They hate us, and now after a loss, we will get steamrolled.