Thread: Its not how you start, it is whether you can survive....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Its not how you start, it is whether you can survive....

It is really starting to look like things will really come down to whether or not you can survive the war of attrition that is the NFL season. Look at the way things are going and the amount of injuries occurring weekly, I cannot recall so many key players getting hurt as frequently and as seriously as they are this year. These games are absolutely crazy, everything is a fight to the death with a lot of games being decided in the last minute with more overtime games than I can remember in recent history as well. The Colts beat GB then GB lays 42 on Houston, the supposed best defense in the NFL the following week; who by the way, the "terrible" Jets almost (should have) beat(en) last week. Then those same "terrible" Jets lay a whooping on those Colts allowing only 3 measly FG's, making Andrew Luck look every bit like the rookie he is, while vaulting those same "terrible" Jets into first place in the AFCE, this by the way after all of the NFL pundits gave us little chance to win yesterday. Arizona wins in the fatherland of football, but loses at home to a crappy Buffalo team who those same "terrible" Jets laid 48 points on in week 1. If we can get healthy and stop losing player after player to injury, who knows? In the AFC, anyone can beat anyone; there is no dominant team. Is Houston dominant? They did not look it last week or yesterday, in fact, the Jets should have won that game last week. NE? Baltimore? Pittsburgh? Denver with Peyton Manning does not scare me nor does SD because I think Phillip Rivers stinks. So if we can win our share and somehow get into the tournament, let alone heaven forbid play a playoff game at home, well, you just never know.

Now, we are 11 point underdogs as we prepared to go visit the greatest team in the history of professional sports in the fatherland of football, who by the way in case nobody noticed (Phil Simms and Jim Nancy the 2 biggest NE shills I know), are a very average 3-3 this season tied at the top with our "terrible" Jets after they came back to lose in Seattle yesterday. That was a delicious ending to a delicious game! I despise the Pats and wish nothing but losses on them. What would happen if our "terrible" Jets went up there and actually won that game next Sunday? That would be, well just "terrible" wouldn't it?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    In a weird way, if the Jets were to lose both Revis and Holmes in 2012, it might actually be better that it happened in September rather than at the end of the year. At least this gives the Jets a chance to get other guys into the mix early. Had the Jets been heading into December with say an 8-5 record and then lost two of their best players I think the ship would sink quickly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    It is really starting to look like things will really come down to whether or not you can survive the war of attrition that is the NFL season. Look at the way things are going and the amount of injuries occurring weekly, I cannot recall so many key players getting hurt as frequently and as seriously as they are this year. These games are absolutely crazy, everything is a fight to the death with a lot of games being decided in the last minute with more overtime games than I can remember in recent history as well. The Colts beat GB then GB lays 42 on Houston, the supposed best defense in the NFL the following week; who by the way, the "terrible" Jets almost (should have) beat(en) last week. Then those same "terrible" Jets lay a whooping on those Colts allowing only 3 measly FG's, making Andrew Luck look every bit like the rookie he is, while vaulting those same "terrible" Jets into first place in the AFCE, this by the way after all of the NFL pundits gave us little chance to win yesterday. Arizona wins in the fatherland of football, but loses at home to a crappy Buffalo team who those same "terrible" Jets laid 48 points on in week 1. If we can get healthy and stop losing player after player to injury, who knows? In the AFC, anyone can beat anyone; there is no dominant team. Is Houston dominant? They did not look it last week or yesterday, in fact, the Jets should have won that game last week. NE? Baltimore? Pittsburgh? Denver with Peyton Manning does not scare me nor does SD because I think Phillip Rivers stinks. So if we can win our share and somehow get into the tournament, let alone heaven forbid play a playoff game at home, well, you just never know.

Now, we are 11 point underdogs as we prepared to go visit the greatest team in the history of professional sports in the fatherland of football, who by the way in case nobody noticed (Phil Simms and Jim Nancy the 2 biggest NE shills I know), are a very average 3-3 this season tied at the top with our "terrible" Jets after they came back to lose in Seattle yesterday. That was a delicious ending to a delicious game! I despise the Pats and wish nothing but losses on them. What would happen if our "terrible" Jets went up there and actually won that game next Sunday? That would be, well just "terrible" wouldn't it?
    That's a really sobering thought.

Considering also that Craig Carton had a "Public Service Announcement" basically telling everyone to bet on the Pats with the spread(will it remain 11.5?), I wonder if he'll bother showing up to work next monday if the Jets shock the Patriots.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought DWC liked using more paragraphs and player names.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Oh snap.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    I thought DWC liked using more paragraphs and player names.

Maybe he used his left hand to disguise his typing ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

From the famous speech of one Jim Valvano
    "Don't give up! Don't EVER give up!"

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    In a weird way, if the Jets were to lose both Revis and Holmes in 2012, it might actually be better that it happened in September rather than at the end of the year. At least this gives the Jets a chance to get other guys into the mix early. Had the Jets been heading into December with say an 8-5 record and then lost two of their best players I think the ship would sink quickly.
    That's actually a great point. We're talking about it now, but no one is going to be thinking about Revis or Holmes in Week 15.

On offense, the younger guys get valuable PT and maybe accelerate development by a few weeks (in football years). On defense, Rex and Pettine now have to coach their asses off and scheme their way to victory, instead of relying on what they view as the best defense in the NFL.

Sounds crazy, but by the end of the year I think we'll view Holmes as a bigger loss to this team than Revis.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    That's actually a great point. We're talking about it now, but no one is going to be thinking about Revis or Holmes in Week 15.

On offense, the younger guys get valuable PT and maybe accelerate development by a few weeks (in football years). On defense, Rex and Pettine now have to coach their asses off and scheme their way to victory, instead of relying on what they view as the best defense in the NFL.

Sounds crazy, but by the end of the year I think we'll view Holmes as a bigger loss to this team than Revis.
    I disagree,
    I think not having Holmes will force Mark to see the WHOLE field, he'll spread the ball around more. Losing Powell sucks!, I liked the way he was coming on, he blocked the blitz well, was a good outlet & had a little wiggle.
    Maybe Grimes will turn out to be a godsend, u never know with RBs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Revis loss hasn't really been felt yet because Cromartie has stepped up his game and is playing like the best corner in the league right now. It will be felt this week though because Brady may pick on the other guys in the secondary who are only getting more playing time because of Revis's absence. Smith and Luck missed throws that were there, Brady won't.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I disagree,
    I think not having Holmes will force Mark to see the WHOLE field, he'll spread the ball around more. Losing Powell sucks!, I liked the way he was coming on, he blocked the blitz well, was a good outlet & had a little wiggle.
    Maybe Grimes will turn out to be a godsend, u never know with RBs.
    I thought about this, and it makes sense in theory, but Sanchez has never been a "see the whole field" QB. I think he'll avoid forcing the ball into a guy like Holmes, but still wonder if the guys on the roster can create space on a critical play the way Santonio could.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Revis loss hasn't really been felt yet because Cromartie has stepped up his game and is playing like the best corner in the league right now. It will be felt this week though because Brady may pick on the other guys in the secondary who are only getting more playing time because of Revis's absence. Smith and Luck missed throws that were there, Brady won't.
    This could definitely be true. I guess I was looking at it from the overall pass defense - with Revis on the field the team was giving up about 200 yards a game. That average has only gone up slightly since he's been out. And that includes games against top QBs in Big Ben and Schaub, plus a guy in Luck who had his second-lowest output of the season.

I'll admit that maybe I'm more hopeful than confident at this point. Sunday will be the ultimate barometer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about this, and it makes sense in theory, but Sanchez has never been a "see the whole field" QB. I think he'll avoid forcing the ball into a guy like Holmes, but still wonder if the guys on the roster can create space on a critical play the way Santonio could.

This could definitely be true. I guess I was looking at it from the overall pass defense - with Revis on the field the team was giving up about 200 yards a game. That average has only gone up slightly since he's been out. And that includes games against top QBs in Big Ben and Schaub, plus a guy in Luck who had his second-lowest output of the season.

I'll admit that maybe I'm more hopeful than confident at this point. Sunday will be the ultimate barometer.
    Isn't Brandon Lloyd hurt?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Isn't Brandon Lloyd hurt?
    He may not be out this Sunday but they are beat up.
    Welker took some horrific shots! Gronk looks beat up. Lloyd might have a hip issue, Bolden is out.
    Jets need to make strong tough tackles on Sunday, make them earn every yard, no Yac, that's how you beat the Pats.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the key to this week's win was the rotation of younger players especially on Defense, along with this almost surreal submergence of Shonne Greene.

Rotating LBs was great for us. The old guys like Scott, Thomas and Pace get much needed breathers (something NE's no huddle might not allow us to do as much). Coples starting was awesome also, he needs the experience but he's showing he can be a force.

Shonne Greene, I mean what the hell? Where did that come from? I know the Colts DL isn't as good as a lot of other teams (especially with mathis out)he was making moves and pushing after contact. That spin move on his second td...WHERE did that come from?

Either way, there were a lot of things I saw and liked from the young guys yesterday that I loved, keep giving them time and it will pay off sooner rather than later

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    I think the key to this week's win was the rotation of younger players especially on Defense, along with this almost surreal submergence of Shonne Greene.

Rotating LBs was great for us. The old guys like Scott, Thomas and Pace get much needed breathers (something NE's no huddle might not allow us to do as much). Coples starting was awesome also, he needs the experience but he's showing he can be a force.

Shonne Greene, I mean what the hell? Where did that come from? I know the Colts DL isn't as good as a lot of other teams (especially with mathis out)he was making moves and pushing after contact. That spin move on his second td...WHERE did that come from?

Either way, there were a lot of things I saw and liked from the young guys yesterday that I loved, keep giving them time and it will pay off sooner rather than later

Everything looked great in that game. However, the KEY is Greene. Can he do something remotely close to what he did this next sunday at Foxboro? If he can, then(win or lose) I will be VERY encouraged by the prospects of the rest of the season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who thinks the Jets are better without SH is nuts. Oh and the mighty Ray Lewis is human afterall. Sorry to read about his muscle tear and missing the rest of this season, Hate to see anyone get injured, even a-holes like Holmes or Lewis.
    Last edited by ASH_1962; 10-15-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who thinks the Jets are better without SH is nuts. Oh and the mighty Ray Lewis is human afterall. Sorry to read about his muscle tear and missing the rest of this season, Hate to see anyone get injured, even a-holes like Holmes or Lewis.
    I'm not so sold on this. Yes he's by far our best offensive play maker, but look at what he did last year, and this year before he was hurt. He had one very good game where he got flags drawn all day and made a couple big catches, but he also gets frustrated VERY easily and is probably the first one to stop playing hard when the game starts to turn the wrong way.

Combine his propensity to stop running clean routes and continue to play hard through adversity, with his CONSTANT oppressive comments and the way he can kill lockerroom morale, I'm actually kind of happy to have him sitting out while this team has some time to gel. This could bite me in the ass later, but so far I'm enjoying his absence.