Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going into NE... Pennington or Sanchez

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Going into NE... Pennington or Sanchez

I have been asking JETS fans, if you knew everything about Pennington and Mark (injuries etc..) and you had to start a team who would you pick?

That said...going into NE next week who would you pick?

For me..in both cases it is MARK.

Mark is no Brady but he can and has won big games. Our 2 AFC losses were not even on him. He played well in both.

Pennington was hurt every other year, never won more than 10 games as a Jet and never beat NE in a big game.

Point being...I am fine with Mark at QB next week.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brooks Bollinger.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely Sanchez -- Pennington has not played in a few years it would be tough for him to play given he would not have the play book down and he is probably out of football shape.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

Pennington was hurt every other year, never won more than 10 games as a Jet and never beat NE in a big game.
    Um, the last time the Jets won the AFCE, was because of Pennington's flawless (he started the game 13 for 13) performance in a late Sunday night game in Foxboro.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    Definitely Sanchez -- Pennington has not played in a few years it would be tough for him to play given he would not have the play book down and he is probably out of football shape.
    Hypothetically... I meant a YOUNG Pennington, say 2002 to 2006.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez.

I have plenty of negative things to say about Pennington to help bolster my argument, but I'm trying to exorcise my negative chi.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been asking JETS fans, if you knew everything about Pennington and Mark (injuries etc..) and you had to start a team who would you pick?

Mark is no Brady but he can and has won big games. Our 2 AFC losses were not even on him. He played well in both.

The Patriots have been, arguably, the most consistently successful team in the NFL over the last 10+ years. With that said, Sanchez has beaten them 3 times in 4 years including a huge upset in the playoffs where he threw 3 TDs.

Even in the Jets road loss last year, 30-21, Sanchez threw for 2 TDs, 0 INTs, and had a rating over 105. In their home loss to the Pats he was 1 TD, 2 INTs and threw for over 300 yards in a game the Jets lost by 21 points and he needed to throw.

I have no problem with Sanchez at QB vs. the Patriots. Pennington was very good, but couldn't win a game with his arm alone. Sanchez has the ability to do that a little more than Penny.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 10-15-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hypothetically... I meant a YOUNG Pennington, say 2002 to 2006.
    Who can remember? was that 2002?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Given how I currently feel about Mark usually I would take any QB over him, but I can't take back the fact that he went into NE, and won, in playoffs, and played well. Chad choked in every big game against the Pats. Going into NE give me Sanchez, he's proven he can win there....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a really odd hypothetical...

Is there a 3rd option for Tebow?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Given how I currently feel about Mark usually I would take any QB over him, but I can't take back the fact that he went into NE, and won, in playoffs, and played well.
    And that was one fluke game 2 years ago.

Since that time, Sanchez is a below .500 QB and ranked in the bottom 3rd of all NFL QB's in completion percentage, QB rating and YPA.

Were you really excited about Sanchez' whopping 82 yards passing yesterday?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Um, the last time the Jets won the AFCE, was because of Pennington's flawless (he started the game 13 for 13) performance in a late Sunday night game in Foxboro.
    LOL HAAAAAHahahaahah

Vintage trolling. Legit made me laugh, coming from you.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd take 2002 Pennington over any version of Sanchez we've seen. But after the injuries, Chad just didn't have the arm to threaten the Pats enough, so you'd have to go Sanchez. One thing I can say with certainty, Chad never went to Foxboro having as poor of a season by the numbers as what Sanchez has given us in 2012. And Chad also had to face the Pats when Belicheck was still looking like a defensive genius, Sanchez has faced the more sieve-like Pats pass Ds.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm fine with him too. So long as the RUNNING GAME is working and he can do the Playaction-Pass thing that he's good at.

However, I wish he had Penny's accuracy. Combine his accuracy with Mark's and we have a pretty good QB. Just my opinion, of course.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep.

We got the W with him as QB.

CPA, I find a hard time believing there is an argument to be made for Pennington over Sanchez, regardless of how miserable you find yourself feeling about Mark at the moment.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also don't forget, after being benched for Clemens in 2007, Pennington came into the game in relief after Clemens was knocked out and put quite a scare into the 13-0 Pats. Conditions were horrible that day and Brady had his worst game of the season. Pennington played pretty well and would have had the Jets only down 3 late if Justin McCantCatch had hauled in a surefire TD pass in the 4th quarter. That was a gutsy performance overlooked I'm sure by the lynch mob of Jet fans who wanted Pennington run out of town.

For all the talk of Sanchez winning in Foxboro in the playoffs, was Mark the guy who held the mighty Pats offense to 3 points in the 1st half? People forget football is a team sport. When Chad visited the Pats in Foxboro in the playoffs in 2006, he threw for 300+ yards, but the D got annihilated by Brady.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

You'd rather have the loss in Seattle and Brady's stats than a win where the QB plays the exact way you'd want him to play when the running game is working?

Never mind, I know the answer to that question.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    You'd rather have the loss in Seattle and Brady's stats than a win where the QB plays the exact way you'd want him to play when the running game is working?
    The Colts run defense was ranked 29th in the NFL, the Pats run defense is ranked 4th in the NFL.

What happens when Greene reverts back to his 2.5 yards per carry next week against a good run defense?

Do you seriously think 82 passing yards will translate to a Jets win?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Colts run defense was ranked 29th in the NFL, the Pats run defense is ranked 4th in the NFL.

What happens when Greene reverts back to his 2.5 yards per carry next week against a good run defense?

Do you seriously think 82 passing yards will translate to a Jets win?
    Sanchez could have thrown for 200+ yesterday. He was on with his passes, the running game was just so dominant we stuck with that. As bad as the Pats D has been though, I'm sure what the Jets saw yesterday was worse and Sanchez other than one game does not have a great track record in Foxboro.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This discussion (Pennington or Sanchez?) has been beaten around in several threads recently. My question for the OP is does he expect people to change their positions simply because the question has been recast in terms of the game this weekend?

In any event a young and undamaged Pennington vs a young and undamaged Mark Sanchez I think is a complete no contest. Pennington by a mile IMO.

But that is not where we are at today so.... I fully support the current Jets team. I think we have a shot this weekend. Don't kid yourselves, the pressure to put this "gimme" game away will be mounting all week for the Pats. That fan base has certain expectations and the 2012 version of the Pats have not been living up to those expectations so far this season. If they get off to a slow start on Sunday then things could get ugly for them in a hurry. We on the other hand are playing with house money to some degree.