Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perfect Usage of Tebow

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we may just see these wrinkles they have been hiding this Sunday... Question is will they work???

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Hahahaha that is some serious BS. He can't throw! It works as a gimmick because it catches teams off guard as a change of pace. Put him in there for a while and teams can just tee off on him.
    He can throw, stop being ignorant. Just because he looked bad in preseason running an offense that he isn't suited for, doesn't mean he cant be effective as an every down QB. He won games in Denver, he can win here.

You honestly think Sanchez won more games so far this yet than Tebow would have? Other than the Bills game, Sanchez has done nothing. Tebow would have given u a better running game, and would have completed some big passes over the top as teams cheat up to stop the run. He also wouldn't have folded under pressure against the Steelers, Niners and Texans.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Tebow effect but has it really made the Jets offense better to this point? I agree with the theory of the less Tebow contributes to the unkown but six games in he hasn't thrown enough. Give the opposing teams something to think about and run plays out of them with different formations. It would have been ideal to let Tebow throw a few during the 49ers debacle to atleast give teams something to worry about..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    I like the Tebow effect but has it really made the Jets offense better to this point? I agree with the theory of the less Tebow contributes to the unkown but six games in he hasn't thrown enough. Give the opposing teams something to think about and run plays out of them with different formations. It would have been ideal to let Tebow throw a few during the 49ers debacle to atleast give teams something to worry about..
    It would have also made a lot of sense to let Tebow close out the game against Indy. I firmly believe your best chance against us Sunday, is Tebow, but he has not gotten enough reps this year passing the ball for Rex to trust him from what I see.

However, coming in with Mark Sanchez and a worse team all around, I just don't see it how it's going to turn out any different this Sunday.

It's no secret our secondary is bad. Was bad last year and is bad this year. But our secondary being bad isn't enough if you can't buy your quarterback enough time to allow your receivers to get to them. And this offensive line is not going to buy Mark Sanchez enough time to do that.

I saw last year with Eli and I saw it with Wilson. What made them so successful in taking advantage of the secondary, is extending the play. Both Eli and Wilson escaped the pocket and bought themselves enough time for their wide receivers to get behind our secondary. That was the keys to their wins.

What Broncos tried to do with Tebow, which is to use his rushing ability was simply the wrong way of going about it. They had plenty of luck to start out the first game when Tebow was slinging it, before they started getting conservative with their play calling and we forced Tebow to cough a fumble. Trying to use Tebow to run the Wildcat against us will produce similar results. Designing deep pass plays and roll outs when the pocket breaks down is the key to using Tebow against us this weekend.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those 3 fake punts for first downs are the equivalent to turnovers and are huge plays. If that is all Tebow does this season, he has been well worth the trade. (We have also had a punt return for a TD with him in the game)

I have also noticed some progress on his offensive plays and I have a feeling we will get a big play or two out of him in the next couple of weeks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    It would have also made a lot of sense to let Tebow close out the game against Indy. I firmly believe your best chance against us Sunday, is Tebow, but he has not gotten enough reps this year passing the ball for Rex to trust him from what I see.

However, coming in with Mark Sanchez and a worse team all around, I just don't see it how it's going to turn out any different this Sunday.

It's no secret our secondary is bad. Was bad last year and is bad this year. But our secondary being bad isn't enough if you can't buy your quarterback enough time to allow your receivers to get to them. And this offensive line is not going to buy Mark Sanchez enough time to do that.

I saw last year with Eli and I saw it with Wilson. What made them so successful in taking advantage of the secondary, is extending the play. Both Eli and Wilson escaped the pocket and bought themselves enough time for their wide receivers to get behind our secondary. That was the keys to their wins.

What Broncos tried to do with Tebow, which is to use his rushing ability was simply the wrong way of going about it. They had plenty of luck to start out the first game when Tebow was slinging it, before they started getting conservative with their play calling and we forced Tebow to cough a fumble. Trying to use Tebow to run the Wildcat against us will produce similar results. Designing deep pass plays and roll outs when the pocket breaks down is the key to using Tebow against us this weekend.
    Good points but unless the Jets can hit Brady it's going to be a long day with Tebow throwing a few or not. The Patriots have been able to stay in games without a running game so Brady must be hit.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Seriously?

Tebow is throwing on running downs, out of a running formation that the other team has to defend - with their running defense. He's not facing a pass rush nor lots of DBs in zone coverage. Put plainly, Tebow is in a pretty good position to have easy reads and large throwing windows.

I am not knocking Tebow's overall ability - but you can't compare his [limited] success throwing the ball out of the Wildcat to how he would fare as a drop-back passer on the Jets.
    That is what he brings to the table. He always gets to face cover zero defense as he did last year. It's the coverage he will always get.

If the guy ever improves his accuracy he would be a huge stud. Last year he completed like 46/47% of his passes. The only nfl qb that is that inaccurate is mark Sanchez 49%).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Those 3 fake punts for first downs are the equivalent to turnovers and are huge plays. If that is all Tebow does this season, he has been well worth the trade. (We have also had a punt return for a TD with him in the game)

I have also noticed some progress on his offensive plays and I have a feeling we will get a big play or two out of him in the next couple of weeks.
    +1

That is exactly how I choose to look at those fake punts, and I also see this team adding a solid dimension on offense as they learn to integrate Tebow at the right junctures.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    He can throw, stop being ignorant. Just because he looked bad in preseason running an offense that he isn't suited for, doesn't mean he cant be effective as an every down QB. He won games in Denver, he can win here.

You honestly think Sanchez won more games so far this yet than Tebow would have? Other than the Bills game, Sanchez has done nothing. Tebow would have given u a better running game, and would have completed some big passes over the top as teams cheat up to stop the run. He also wouldn't have folded under pressure against the Steelers, Niners and Texans.
    That offense he couldn't run was a pro style offense... basically a standard offense in the NFL. We talk about Sanchez being coddled, and excuses being made for him. Yet the people who support Tebow do what exactly? A standard NFL offense resulting in him being an absolute fail and pointing to that as why he was bad is the epitome of an excuse. For the record I don't think Sanchez is great, I just think Tebow is worse.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    That offense he couldn't run was a pro style offense... basically a standard offense in the NFL. We talk about Sanchez being coddled, and excuses being made for him. Yet the people who support Tebow do what exactly? A standard NFL offense resulting in him being an absolute fail and pointing to that as why he was bad is the epitome of an excuse. For the record I don't think Sanchez is great, I just think Tebow is worse.
    I'm sorry when exactly did Tebow fail running a standard NFL offense?

Unless you are talking about the joke of a preseason offense the Jets displayed, the only thing I have seen Tebow run is the spread option, and he made it to the playoffs in it last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In what Standard offense does a QB run for 660 yards, and 6 touchdowns in 11 starts?The guy was on progress for 800-900 yards rushing and 10 touchdowns or so.

Ofcourse its not going to be a standard NFL offense. You see Rg3, or Cam Newtons games? Yes they are both better throwers, but both are not running standard offenses and doing a ton of read options/options/Qb runs. Mike Shannahan is pretty much writing the rulebook for having a running QB right now, and he is just doing an excellent job. Expect to see a ton of offenses copy what is happening there in Washington. Its not the norm now, but will be soon when you have a running QB.
    Last edited by KR; 10-16-2012 at 12:56 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perfect Usage of Tebow in Jets Offense

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Perfect Usage of Tebow in Jets Offense

Idiot

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    In what Standard offense does a QB run for 660 yards, and 6 touchdowns in 11 starts?The guy was on progress for 800-900 yards rushing and 10 touchdowns or so.

Ofcourse its not going to be a standard NFL offense. You see Rg3, or Cam Newtons games? Yes they are both better throwers, but both are not running standard offenses and doing a ton of read options/options/Qb runs. Mike Shannahan is pretty much writing the rulebook for having a running QB right now, and he is just doing an excellent job. Expect to see a ton of offenses copy what is happening there in Washington. Its not the norm now, but will be soon when you have a running QB.
    No where in a standard offense does it say bounce passes are a good thing. That's not gonna change regardless of offense. His delivery is still really really bad. This is akin to saying start Brad Smith.