Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Usage of Tebow

Perfect Usage of Tebow

Now I'm admittedly a guy who doesn't like Tebow, but that's besides the point here.

I think we used him absolutely perfectly on Sunday. We put him in for an individual down or two at most, not putting him in for an entire series, which is very smart. You don't want to rely on a gimmick offense for an entire drive. He actually had some ok runs and threw off the Colts D a little bit here and there with what personnel packages they were running.

We mostly ran him, still holding the real passing tricks for when we need them, not forcing any crazy plays when it was unnecessary.

Also, the plays that didn't go anywhere were at times when it didn't hurt us.

Lastly, he's definitely the best punt protector in the league!!

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Like I said from day one Tebow can contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Like I said from day one Tebow can contribute.
    Contribute, yes absolutely, start....that's a conversation for a different thread. But we definitely agree on his ability to have an impact.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Forget that starting crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    Now I'm admittedly a guy who doesn't like Tebow, but that's besides the point here.

I think we used him absolutely perfectly on Sunday. We put him in for an individual down or two at most, not putting him in for an entire series, which is very smart. You don't want to rely on a gimmick offense for an entire drive. He actually had some ok runs and threw off the Colts D a little bit here and there with what personnel packages they were running.

We mostly ran him, still holding the real passing tricks for when we need them, not forcing any crazy plays when it was unnecessary.

Also, the plays that didn't go anywhere were at times when it didn't hurt us.

Lastly, he's definitely the best punt protector in the league!!
    That is how he should be used. He's not a starting QB.

Since we were in total ground & Pound mode, Tebow should have been in there more.

Besides the punt play he contributed absolutely nothing. Unless of course you want to somehow credit Greene's 19 yard run to Tebow despite the fact Greene was beasting all game. Tebow gets 2 -3 yards everytime. It's a wasted play.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Besides the punt play he contributed absolutely nothing. Unless of course you want to somehow credit Greene's 19 yard run to Tebow despite the fact Greene was beasting all game. Tebow gets 2 -3 yards everytime. It's a wasted play.
    Of course he gets credit for the Greene run since the D committed to stopping Tebow up the middle, leaving the outside wide open.

He also converted a 3rd and short.

If he played the entire game, the offense would have been just as effective. The running game will always be better with Tebow, and the passing game can't be much worse than it has been. Anytime he has thrown he has had guys open or in one-on-one. I'm hoping we have been holding him back all season for this week. Jets and Sporano have really wasted his talents so far this year. Might have 2 more wins if they weren't so hesitant to use Tebow more. If he plays the 2nd half of the Steelers and Texans games, he prolly finds a way to win them both.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Forget that starting crap.
    Starting him is out o the question IMHO. High risk not enough reward. But using hime to complement Sanchez is another thing entirely. He showed that he can be extremely effective in the right situation and dosages

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Of course he gets credit for the Greene run since the D committed to stopping Tebow up the middle, leaving the outside wide open.

If he played the entire game, the offense would have been just as effective. The running game will always be better with Tebow, and the passing game can't be much worse than it has been. Anytime he has thrown he has had guys open or in one-on-one. I'm hoping we have been holding him back all season for this week. Jets and Sporano have really wasted his talents so far this year. Might have 2 more wins if they weren't so hesitant to use Tebow more. If he plays the 2nd half of the Steelers and Texans games, he prolly finds a way to win them both.
    Hahahaha that is some serious BS. He can't throw! It works as a gimmick because it catches teams off guard as a change of pace. Put him in there for a while and teams can just tee off on him.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Hahahaha that is some serious BS. He can't throw! It works as a gimmick because it catches teams off guard as a change of pace. Put him in there for a while and teams can just tee off on him.
    So then how come every throw he's attempted has been pretty much spot on?

He certainly didn't seem to suffer from any of the excuses people make from Sanchez.....lack or repetitions, no rhythm, no chemistry, etc....

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    So then how come every throw he's attempted has been pretty much spot on?
    Seriously?

Tebow is throwing on running downs, out of a running formation that the other team has to defend - with their running defense. He's not facing a pass rush nor lots of DBs in zone coverage. Put plainly, Tebow is in a pretty good position to have easy reads and large throwing windows.

I am not knocking Tebow's overall ability - but you can't compare his [limited] success throwing the ball out of the Wildcat to how he would fare as a drop-back passer on the Jets.

Veteran
    Caught myself trying to believe in the kid. Drank! Feel better. Did like how we sed him. Would like to see him lined up at fullback to isolate him on a slower LB. Short pass and a head of steam. I like him on 3&1 or so when we need it. On 4th... forget about it. He may change the position of punt protector in a way that the KO bs doesn't seem so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Seriously?

Tebow is throwing on running downs, out of a running formation that the other team has to defend - with their running defense. He's not facing a pass rush nor lots of DBs in zone coverage. Put plainly, Tebow is in a pretty good position to have easy reads and large throwing windows.

I am not knocking Tebow's overall ability - but you can't compare his [limited] success throwing the ball out of the Wildcat to how he would fare as a drop-back passer on the Jets.

Where to even begin to start ? The claim was that he can't throw. Claim was countered by pointing out that he's hit every receiver that he's targeted. Oh no, he's throwing on running downs, NO FAIR. And he's throwing out of running formations !!!! Double NO FAIR.

Guess what ? That's the beauty of Tebow playing QB. When he's in the shotgun, teams always have to respect the run, which largely means man to man coverage. That's why it would be smart for Sparano to go Spread Option with Tebow, with 4 or 5 receivers spreading the defense from sideline to sideline.

Given this advantage, why in the world would you ever think about having him operate as a "drop back passer" ?

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Seriously?

But we all know he's not a drop back passer....this is the equivalent of saying Mark would look even worse in the spread option.

All I'm saying is Sanchez has a sub-50% completion percentage. It's pretty crappy to keep knocking on Tebow's passing abilities when that's mainly what the argument is based on, when Sanchez has performed worse.

If Tebow "can't throw" then Sanchez sure as hell can't either.

Tebow's had 3 chances to throw the ball this year, he completed 2 and the third was a perfect pass that bounced off of his receiver's hands.

He's done the best anyone could ever do out of those opportunities, and until given more and he fails, no one here, especially Sanchez supporters, should be talking about how he can't throw. So far he's proven he can when asked, and in very clutch situations on top of that.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Given this advantage, why in the world would you ever think about having him operate as a "drop back passer" ?
    I was not responding to any one post but to the idea that some people around here have that because Tim has been 'uncharacteristically' accurate that he is clearly a better QB, deserves to start, etc.

I like Tebow and agree with you on the dimension that he brings to the team. As I posted elsewhere earlier today, I think we'll see more Wildcat in NE than we have seen in any Jets gameplan this season.

MY point was that what Tebow does out of the Wildcat as a passer does not translate cleanly to being a starting QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Where to even begin to start ? The claim was that he can't throw. Claim was countered by pointing out that he's hit every receiver that he's targeted. Oh no, he's throwing on running downs, NO FAIR. And he's throwing out of running formations !!!! Double NO FAIR.

Guess what ? That's the beauty of Tebow playing QB. When he's in the shotgun, teams always have to respect the run, which largely means man to man coverage. That's why it would be smart for Sparano to go Spread Option with Tebow, with 4 or 5 receivers spreading the defense from sideline to sideline.

Conversely he's thrown the ball what, 4 times this year including punt plays? Yet in preseason when given the opportunity to throw regularly he was like an unmanned firehose.

While I think you're going a bit far toward the end there, I do think that Tebow's presence can account for the success on runs like the one Greene had. With Tebow on the field, the reaction time for the defense has to be reduced. Is he going to run straight up the middle? Is he going to hand off? Is he going to throw? Is it going to be an option play? That half-second he buys just from being on the field can't hurt.

And I do think the Jets have done a better job of getting Tebow in the game at the right time in recent weeks. Given the Pats' propensity to be beaten deep this year, I'm pretty confident we'll see Tebow launch one on Sunday.

I want to see the empty set with Tebow in shotgun vs Pats this week. I think if we can get another 3rd and short and go out of that set, I hope we see the fake draw up the middle, and get a jump pass for first down. I saw a little bit of that when he played at Florida.