Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: RB Situation

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

RB Situation

I know a lot of people, including myself, want to see Grimes get some action this weekend. Truth is, he's a practice squadder and we can't afford to try him out against the Patsies this weekend. McKnight has a high ankle sprain, which could hold him out for a while. Powell has a separated shoulder, which could also sideline him for 3-4 weeks. So the question is, who's even out there to pickup and split the load with Greene?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No one is out there.

Its Grime Time baby.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    might have answered my own question.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...fl-free-agents

My eyes on Slaton due to his familiarity with Sparano. Hightower is intriguing too.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    might have answered my own question.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...fl-free-agents

My eyes on Slaton due to his familiarity with Sparano. Hightower is intriguing too.
    Hightower is still hurt.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    that was a month ago. he's had a while to rehab, maybe he made strides in the time between now and when the Redskins passed on him. low risk move if healthy.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    bell as being discussed in another thread.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know a lot of people, including myself, want to see Grimes get some action this weekend. Truth is, he's a practice squadder and we can't afford to try him out against the Patsies this weekend. McKnight has a high ankle sprain, which could hold him out for a while. Powell has a separated shoulder, which could also sideline him for 3-4 weeks. So the question is, who's even out there to pickup and split the load with Greene?
    I think Grimes will be ok in a 3rd down role, he's been with the team for 4 weeks, has had some time to learn the offense.

McKnight could have a chance to play, he may have a high ankle sprain but I think it's minor. McKnight himself said he would practice on Wed, I don't think it's that bad.

Lex Hilliard has some versatility and can also play RB, and could be a bigger part of the game plan this week.

It's a bit ironic, I think Grimes was a player the team could have been considered for release with his 3 weeks up after being picked up off of the Texans' PS, the team needs to bring in another LB, they have 4 RB's and 2 FB's on the roster, when Powell is healthy, somebody is probably getting cut.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    that was a month ago. he's had a while to rehab, maybe he made strides in the time between now and when the Redskins passed on him. low risk move if healthy.
    He was never even that good when healthy. Just another plodding back like Greene. I'd much rather see what Grimes has or, if you're looking elsewhere, Kahlil Bell.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I think Grimes will be ok in a 3rd down role, he's been with the team for 4 weeks, has had some time to learn the offense.

McKnight could have a chance to play, he may have a high ankle sprain but I think it's minor. McKnight himself said he would practice on Wed, I don't think it's that bad.

Lex Hilliard has some versatility and can also play RB, and could be a bigger part of the game plan this week.

It's a bit ironic, I think Grimes was a player the team could have been considered for release with his 3 weeks up after being picked up off of the Texans' PS, the team needs to bring in another LB, they have 4 RB's and 2 FB's on the roster, when Powell is healthy, somebody is probably getting cut.
    There is no such thing as a minor high ankle sprain. They could say that, I doubt he plays.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    There is no such thing as a minor high ankle sprain. They could say that, I doubt he plays.
    Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him until after the bye. High ankle sprains are one of the most dreaded injuries in the NFL, ESPECIALLY for a quick-cut RB like McKnight.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an article on the Texans signing Grimes from bleacherreport:

You can't blame the Houston Texans for trusting their ability to scout running backs form the undrafted free-agent crop. 2009 undrafted free agent Arian Foster has only turned into the league's leading rusher in 2010 and a franchise player entering this season.

So when one of the most respected beat writers in the league, John McClain of the Houston Chronicle, reports that the coaches "love" undrafted rookie running back Jonathan Grimes, we should take notice.

What do we know about Grimes? He was a four-year starter at William & Mary, capping his career with a 1,431 yard, 10-touchdown senior season. Sports Illustrated cited his elusiveness, instincts, vision, ability to run low to the ground and set up blocks, strength and leg drive as positives. He also graded out as a good receiver out of the backfield and blocker.

That makes Grimes sound like a first-round pick. The negatives, according to SI, are his ability to turn the corner, change direction on a dime and run away from defenders.

Grimes' pro day numbers per Pro Football Weekly tell a slightly different story, as Grimes had a 4.55 40, 38" vertical, 4.03 short shuttle and 6.84 three-cone time .

For comparison's sake, first-round pick Doug Martin ran a 4.55 with a 36" vertical, 4.16 short shuttle and 6.79 three-cone drill at the combine. Martin is carrying about 15 more pounds than Grimes and played at a higher level of competition, but the raw physical tools are similar.

Dave Fairbank of the Daily Press reported that Grimes said about 10 teams courted him as the draft was winding down, and he took about 25 minutes to make his decision. He chose them because they called first, they were willing to give him time to decide and they said they would give him a chance to compete for the No. 3 running back job.

Even if it didn't figure into his decision, the Texans' ability to turn an undrafted running back into an All-Pro could make him look very smart for choosing them, as long as he makes them look smart for choosing him.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    so god forbid greene goes down in new england for any length of time we try and beat the patriots with hiliard and grimes? really rex and tanny?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    so god forbid greene goes down in new england for any length of time we try and beat the patriots with hiliard and grimes? really rex and tanny?
    LOL at Jets fans. How many teams can afford to lose their top 3 RBs? You guys want the jets to have an entire practice squad of high draft pick RBs?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    LOL at Jets fans. How many teams can afford to lose their top 3 RBs? You guys want the jets to have an entire practice squad of high draft pick RBs?
    not at all. but bell is available and has nfl experience. hilliard and grimes not so much. thanks

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow time mother****ers

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be surprised if the Jets win this game pounding the ball....maybe just to keep the defense honest but if the Jets can run against the Patriots front 7, it will be the first time this year anyone's done it with great success.

If the Jets win, it will be by throwing nothing more than playing throw and catch past NE's non-existent secondary.