Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: why didn't Billy Volek get a real chance to start?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

why didn't Billy Volek get a real chance to start?

his only extended action came in 2004, when he posted very nice numbers: 87 QBR, 18/10 TD/INT, 7 Y/A, and 106 ANYA. Tennessee was all too happy to hand his job back to an aging McNair in 2005, and thereafter he was traded for almost nothing to San Diego to rot away behind Rivers for several seasons. what happened? did scouts really hate him?
    Last edited by rainman; 10-15-2012 at 10:01 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    too easily confused with david volek

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always wondered this myself. He looked like a good set up man for Young to learn from but they let him go 1st chance they had. They then picked up a historic head case to groom Young. Young had depression issues before the NFL not sure having a manic depressive as his mentor was not a stable move really.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I always wondered this myself. He looked like a good set up man for Young to learn from but they let him go 1st chance they had. They then picked up a historic head case to groom Young. Young had depression issues before the NFL not sure having a manic depressive as his mentor was not a stable move really.
    Kerry Collins?? Outside of being an alcoholic, what other issues did he have?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexi Rexi View Post
    Kerry Collins?? Outside of being an alcoholic, what other issues did he have?
    He is a manic depressive. The alcohol didn't make him wake up one day and say, I no longer want to start. He had issues but the alcohol was only part of it. Dude was always up and down in his interviews. You could tell he wasn't stable even after he dried up. I see it in my family you can't hide it when your always on camera like that. It controls you at times.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    He is a manic depressive. The alcohol didn't make him wake up one day and say, I no longer want to start. He had issues but the alcohol was only part of it. Dude was always up and down in his interviews. You could tell he wasn't stable even after he dried up. I see it in my family you can't hide it when your always on camera like that. It controls you at times.
    He actually said he didn't want to start?
    Shame he was a decent qb too. Hopefully in retirement he betters his life.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol i thought someone bumped a thread from 2005..