Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Peyton Manning is the best Qb of all time

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Not to mention, Manning is a pathetic 4-9 head-to-head versus Brady.
    But 2-0 where it mattered.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    But 2-0 where it mattered.
    Did he win a couple of pre-season games?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Joe Montana is better than either, far more clutch too. Go look at his stats in Superbowls. 11 Tds - 1 int, 4 for 4.

Brady was like Sanchez in his Superbowl wins, was asked not to blow it. The team around him had a great defense, good running game and they cheated too.

Once some of that stuff was gone, he's 0-2 in the Superbowl.

You put Peyton Manning on the Pats with BB, and he'd be number 1 all time, as it stands, you have to put him behind Montana and just ahead of Brady.

BTW - Eli has one more clutch playoff run and Super Bowl MVP and it's going to be hard not to put him up there too...
    Yes you put Peyton Manning on the Pats and the only thing that would change is the Patriots would have a losing playoff record, and only 1 SuperBowl.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I read a Nietzsche quote once I thought on and agreed with.

"You may have enemies whom you hate, but not enemies whom you despise. You must take pride in your enemy: then your enemy's successes will be your successes as well."

I think a lot of people like to say that Manning is better than Brady as a means of revenge. I certainly understand that, but we play Brady twice a year, I've seen my share of Patsie games, he's brought some pretty suspect Patriot teams pretty far in 2006 and since 2008, and with Manning's embarrassing post season record being what it is I think the GOAT status ship sailed a long time ago for him. IMO the Manning/Brady debate was settled with Brady being the best quarterback of his generation by far.

If there's any comparison to be made it's Montana/Brady.

With Brady approaching (i assume) the last years of his career I just can't hold hate for the man anymore. The man is a lion.
    Brady has won zero SB since he has been put in a position to carry the team.

Manning was expected and did carry the Colts every day he was on that team.

How many SB did Brady win when he actually had the best supporting offensive passing attack in the league without a complimentary running game or a great D.

I don't consider either one of them the greatest of all time but that's an entirely different argument. The game has changed to much to discount what QB's were asked to do in different era's.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 10-16-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post

How many SB did Brady win when he actually had the best supporting offensive passing attack in the league without a complimentary running game or a great D.

I don't consider either one of them the greatest of all time but that's an entirely different argument. The game has changed to much to discount what QB's were asked to do in different era's.
    This

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSALLDAY24 View Post
    Show me where I said that?? I said he playing well RIGHT NOW never sid he was a good corner seems like someone needs an eye check.
    Jetsallday is correct. Wilson is top 15 CB now. I forgot the poster that provided the stats and data to support that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    the patriots were sh!t without tom brady. he made them what they are. he's the best, no doubt about it.
    Look at the pats without brady, they went what, 11-5/10-6?
    Look at the colts without manning, something like 1-15?

I think the real question is how long have you been watching football?
    And manning never had anywhere close to the defense that brady had. Can't always measure it by the rings. Player for player, manning is the better qb.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Football is a team sport, teams win SB's.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Context doesn't matter. Anyone who knows football can see Wilson is below-average ... at best.

And no, I won't. Gotta be up in a few hours and don't care enough to keep going back and forth.
    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...44&postcount=5

All the arguing had me chase this post down. For the time being Wilson is playing good football now.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    Look at the pats without brady, they went what, 11-5/10-6?
    Look at the colts without manning, something like 1-15?

I think the real question is how long have you been watching football?
    And manning never had anywhere close to the defense that brady had. Can't always measure it by the rings. Player for player, manning is the better qb.
    All that means is that Matt Cassel is a decent game manager when surrounded by a good team while Curtis Painter absolutely sucks.

That's probably why one started this year and one didn't. Not to mention, Colts tanked for Luck.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post

People don't get this!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    you kids never saw Y.A. Title play.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    People don't get this!!!
    +1!

Today a DB breathes on a Receiver its a penalty...25+ yrs ago DBs could mug Receivers without a flag in site...You could also hit a QB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still put Montana as the best (and most clutch) I've ever seen. After Joe, it's a toss up between Peyton and Marino.

Love how all the experts proclaimed that Manning would never return to his original form. You see the game last night? Six games in and the guy is back...BIG TIME.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I still put Montana as the best (and most clutch) I've ever seen. After Joe, it's a toss up between Peyton and Marino.

Love how all the experts proclaimed that Manning would never return to his original form. You see the game last night? Six games in and the guy is back...BIG TIME.
    Montana was certainly clutch, but he benefited from being perfectly cast in the new (at the time) west coast offense and played on better teams than Manning. Put Manning on Montana's Forty Niners and I think they go undefeated (in more than one season). Manning could play at a high level in any system. I can't say the same for Montana.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Montana was certainly clutch, but he benefited from being perfectly cast in the new (at the time) west coast offense and played on better teams than Manning. Put Manning on Montana's Forty Niners and I think they go undefeated (in more than one season). Manning could play at a high level in any system. I can't say the same for Montana.

Agree to disagree.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [/B]

Agree to disagree.
    C'mon Borg..... Montana had great timing, instincts, and was as clutch as they come, but he had limitations caused by the fact that he did not have a particularly strong arm. In fact, He didn't have the arm to hit the deep TE seam routes and deep out routes necessary to beat the Tampa 2 D that was eventually created to stop the west coast offenses.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    C'mon Borg..... Montana had great timing, instincts, and was as clutch as they come, but he had limitations caused by the fact that he did not have a particularly strong arm. In fact, He didn't have the arm to hit the deep TE seam routes and deep out routes necessary to beat the Tampa 2 D that was eventually created to stop the west coast offenses.
    "Joe Cool": Four Super Bowl rings

Peyton: One

SONNY, near the end of his career, the f**king guy took a minimally talented Chiefs team to the brink of another title. I could care less about Joe's arm strength, especially as compared to Peyton. He could make all the necessary throws and had the most enviable attribute a QB can possess: The ability to win consistently, especially in big, pressure spots.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

SONNY, near the end of his career, the f**king guy took a minimally talented Chiefs team to the brink of another title. I could care less about Joe's arm strength, especially as compared to Peyton. He could make all the necessary throws and had the most enviable attribute a QB can possess: The ability to win consistently, especially in big, pressure spots.
    That team went 11/5, 10/6, 10/6 the three previous years before Montana arrived with DeBerg and then Craig at QB.

He was a great QB but under the Walsh system Steve Young was a great QB. Montana was great is worthy of mention as one of the greatest of all time but he also played on great teams with great overall talent under one of the Greatest if not the greatest offensive HC in NFL history.

There is no slam dunks in naming the greatest in this catagory.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Not saying he was not great. He was. But the Niners just kept on winning ballgames after he left. And the KC team he was on had a lot of talent (5 pro bowlers). How many superbowls did they appear in? It just seems to me that Manning has won with less, making him the better QB.

BTW, if SB's were the real gauge of QB greatness, Bob Greise would be mentioned far more than the 0 times he name comes up in these types of conversations.