Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cimini: Jets RB situation: Greene and green and other Notes

Cimini: Jets RB situation: Greene and green and other Notes

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The Jets will head to New England this weekend with only one healthy and experienced running back -- Shonn Greene.

Backup RB Bilal Powell confirmed Monday he has a dislocated right shoulder. He declined to comment on how long he'll be sidelined, but he definitely won't play against the Patriots, sources said.

Meanwhile, backup RB Joe McKnight suffered a high-ankle sprain, sources said. The Jets haven't ruled him out this week, but it's unlikely he'll play. With only two games before the bye week, it wouldn't be a surprise if McKnight doesn't return until after the bye.

Rex Ryan provided no medical updates Monday. It's Patriots week, so he might be a little more guarded than usual.

The Jets have a serious depth problem at running back. The only halfbacks on the roster are Greene and rookie Jonathan Grimes, originally signed by the Texans as an undrafted free agent. He has no NFL experience, but he will be active for the Patriots.

Without Powell and McKnight, the Jets don't have a true third-down back. Greene might be assigned to every-down duty. FB Lex Hilliard has had prior experience at running back, so it's possible they could prep him for that role as well. They didn't bring in any free agents Monday for tryouts, a source said.

KEEP YOUR HANDS TO YOURSELF: Ryan singled out CB Antonio Cromartie for his play in Sunday's game, but he also said Cromartie needs to cut down on the penalties. He was flagged three times --- twice for pass interference and once for illegal contact. His 76-yard interception return for a touchdown was nullified because of his pass-interference penalty.

"He had his hand on Reggie (Wayne) a little bit too long and made a great interception, but he doesn't need to do that," Ryan said. "He doesn't need to foul. (He needs) to let his athleticism handle it. Once we start getting out of those penalties, I think the sky's the limit for him."

Cromartie leads the team with five penalties for 66 yards.

LOOKING AHEAD: The Jets will face a more balanced Patriots offense than they're used to seeing. Led by Steven Ridley, the Patriots are ranked fourth in rushing offense, averaging 152 yards per game. DE Muhammad Wilkerson said the Jets can handle it as long as they played like they did against the Colts.

"We have to play physical up front like we did and we'll have no problem with New England running the ball," he said.

ODDS AND ENDS: Reviewing Sunday's win, Ryan singled out several players for praise, including Greene, the offensive line, TEs Dustin Keller and Jeff Cumberland for their blocking, Cromartie, Wilkerson and rookie DE Quinton Coples. Ryan said Wilkerson's performance was "the type of game we were expecting from Mo, just a dominant performance." ... Ryan said it may have been the best blocking game of Keller's career ... Keller on the AFC East, which has four teams at 3-3: "It's crazy. The whole division is crazy right now." ... The Jets moved up to 15th in rushing offense and 28th in rushing defense (prior to Monday night).

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...eene-and-green

Sounds like it would be a good week for God to tell Timmy he needs to step up to the plate and tell his coach he'd like to play RB this week. The Pats front 7 is not particularly big (other than Wilfork) and a steady diet of Greene and Tebow has the chance of delivering an effective running game, which could open up the play action passing game.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Sounds like it would be a good week for God to tell Timmy he needs to step up to the plate and tell his coach he'd like to play RB this week. The Pats front 7 is not particularly big (other than Wilfork) and a steady diet of Greene and Tebow has the chance of delivering an effective running game, which could open up the play action passing game.
    yes 2 yard tebow runs coming out of the backfield will definitely wear down that Pats front line. Pats front line is actually really good against the run. They are vulnerable in the backend of the secondary as shown by Ravens and Seahawks. Sanchez will have to have a big game and the offense just needs to move the chains and try to cash in when they are in the red zone. Not sure if we can count on Greene having another huge day and if he's shaken up on a play who comes in after him? There's no reason we shouldn't bring in a RB in and have in there where can be in 2-3 different run plays. He doesn't need to know any plays all a QB or lineman has to do is tell him what is coming. The RB's are the easiest guys to bring in cause there's only but so many run plays its just schematics and verbal stuff they don't get right away. Thats an easy fix with Sanchez just calling plays and then saying "stretch right" .. "dive left" ... blah blah ... Not that hard.

if only we had a draft pick RB on our practice squad, some guy we liked enough to spend a draft pick on. If only we had that, we might have at the last another body to hand the ball to a few times if needed.....if only, if only.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    if only we had a draft pick RB on our practice squad, some guy we liked enough to spend a draft pick on. If only we had that, we might have at the last another body to hand the ball to a few times if needed.....if only, if only.
    I hear what you are saying and the pick of ganaway is obviously a total failure, but is there really a difference between having him or grimes on the roster?

At this point, I wouldnt feel any better dressing ganaway rather then grimes.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I hear what you are saying and the pick of ganaway is obviously a total failure, but is there really a difference between having him or grimes on the roster?

You're both right. Can't believe the Jets blew a 6th on a guy who would fit the current need perfectly, but I live in Houston and had a chance to see Grimes in the preseason. There's no question that Grimes looked more "ready" than Ganaway - the talk down here was that he did enough to make the final roster, but unfortunately he played a position where the Texans were already loaded.

This should be the week where Tebow gets 5-10 carries anyway.

Exactly...Is it the Jets fault another team liked Ganaway too? Damn that drafting Tanny and Scouts...

I'm assuming the Jets wanted to sign Ganaway to the PS if he cleared waivers but he didn't....And if the Jets kept him on the 53 man people here would have gone apesh*t.."why are the Jets keeping 4 RBs and a FB..We need depth elsewhere"

Easy to play armchair GM, especially in md-Oct

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Exactly...Is it the Jets fault another team liked Ganaway too? Damn that drafting Tanny and Scouts...

I'm assuming the Jets wanted to sign Ganaway to the PS if he cleared waivers but he didn't....And if the Jets kept him on the 53 man people here would have gone apesh*t.."why are the Jets keeping 4 RBs and a FB..We need depth elsewhere"

Also, we are currently playing Bush and Allen 6th and 7th round picks who tanny should get some credit for. While this could also speak to our lack of depth, personally I think it speaks more that these guys can play, (especially allen) considering we could have brought back leonhard and waived a young player and instead are (hopefully) developing future contributors who will come at a cheap price

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

If hindsight was a real gift they would let some of the armchair GM's play the lottery after the winning numbers came out..

Cumberland? He stunk. Whiffed on at least two blocks and dropped a pass. We will see if Greene can keep up his play if last game. I doubt it he has always showns flashes for 3 or 4 games a year but has way too many pedestrian games.

All Pro
    This would be the PERFECT time for Tebow to be on the field EVERY play. If you use him as a FB/RB, but he is on the field all the time, there is always a danger he could pull up and throw, especially on pitch-outs.

Not to mention, they could break into formation, and then Sanchez could roll-out to his left and allow Tebow to take centre.

Hall Of Fame

Not to mention that losing TWO running backs in one game isnt something you generally plan for either. Any team that loses two RBs in a game is going to be searching the street and waiver wire to find a body.

I would. I liked Gannaway's potential and teh fact we picked him says alot. I think Tanny is actually decent at finding mid-draft RB talent (not a popular opinion, I know).

Apparently, it's also easy to over-react and make assumptions, thus making an ass of yourself.

Lamenting that a guy I liked was snagged away =/= Criticism of our GM and Front Office.

Read next time, don't just react.

Rookie
    Regarding Patriot's front 7 no wide bodys except Wilfork.

On running plays they use Love and Wilfork in the middle. Love isn't a lightweight and he can collapse the pocket if the opposition tries to pass.
    Brace is another wide body used on occasion.

Pats didn't miss Hightower vs Seattle but he may be back for the Jets game.

Can't see the Jets getting a running game going like they did vs Colts.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Regarding Patriot's front 7 no wide bodys except Wilfork.

On running plays they use Love and Wilfork in the middle. Love isn't a lightweight and he can collapse the pocket if the opposition tries to pass.
    Brace is another wide body used on occasion.

Pats didn't miss Hightower vs Seattle but he may be back for the Jets game.

Can't see the Jets getting a running game going like they did vs Colts.
    I dont see the Jets running the ball well either. Bellichick is going to force Sanchez to beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I would. I liked Gannaway's potential and teh fact we picked him says alot. I think Tanny is actually decent at finding mid-draft RB talent (not a popular opinion, I know).

Apparently, it's also easy to over-react and make assumptions, thus making an ass of yourself.

Lamenting that a guy I liked was snagged away =/= Criticism of our GM and Front Office.

Read next time, don't just react.
    Who hasn't made an ass of themselves before

Who hasn't made an ass of themselves before
    If you think I'm going to say "me"......

.....you'd be very wrong.

I make an ass out of myself on J.I. pretty much daily.

We won't beat the Pats running for 2 yards & a cloud of dust on Sunday.
    Sparano needs to take advantage of the Pats secondary & throw the ball!

This isn't the Steelers or the 49ers or the Texans, or even Miami
    Everything is on the Oline & Sanchez this week

Keep the pocket clean & throw to run this week
    2nd & shorts are CRUCIAL

Then we can use Timmy in a run or pass mode in those spots

Rookie
    I think the bigger question is can the Jets Offense keep up with the Pats Offense.

Throwing long may be the key. Pats will get a PI or it will be a Jet completion.

Problem is, can Jet OL give Sanchez time for the play to develop?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    This would be the PERFECT time for Tebow to be on the field EVERY play. If you use him as a FB/RB, but he is on the field all the time, there is always a danger he could pull up and throw, especially on pitch-outs.

Not to mention, they could break into formation, and then Sanchez could roll-out to his left and allow Tebow to take centre.
    Plus, we might be able to do the Pats, what they do to us, when they catch us with our pass defense on the field and go no huddle and run it over and over into our smaller formation. We could move Tebow to the wildcat in those situations and go no huddle.