Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it still fun to be a Yankees fan?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    I'd much rather root for the type of franchise Sandy Alderson and the Mets are trying to build now.
    Whats the point of this...I should switch teams?

Hey, I'd love to root for a team of youngin's with small contracts playing over their heads. Who wouldnt.

Thing is, I didnt choose my team, it chose me.... as I kid.

I didnt abandon them when they sucked for the first 12-14 years of my life....and I didnt abandon them when they sucked through the 80's and early 90's.

Conversly, as a baseball fan, and a NY'er...I also enjoyed watching the Mets play some gritty ball with young players in starring roles at the beginning of this year, even as the Met fans in this forum gnashed their teeth at all things Yankee and reveled in every early Yank loss this year.

(THe threads and posts are still there...its comical.)

Insecurity is a funny thing.

Anyhoo...Yankee fans are now stuck with a bunch of primadonna dooshbag players and passionless management...and many fans may in fact be spoiled and bored.

That's my cross. I'll bear it.

But I certainly wont waste a moment of my life hating on the Mets or their fans....as many Met fans here seem to do in an effort to distract themselves from their own disasters.

You keep painting the Wilpons as the innocent victims of a financial fraud... and I'll watch tonights game with a childlike hope that my team shows some character.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

Hey, I'd love to root for a team of youngin's with small contracts playing over their heads. Who wouldnt.

I didnt abandon them when they sucked for the first 12-14 years of my life....and I didnt abandon them when they sucked through the 80's and early 90's.

Conversly, as a baseball fan, and a NY'er...I also enjoyed watching the Mets play some gritty ball with young players in starring roles at the beginning of this year, even as the Met fans in this forum gnashed their teeth at all things Yankee and reveled in every early Yank loss this year.

Anyhoo...Yankee fans are now stuck with a bunch of primadonna dooshbag players and passionless management...and many fans may in fact be spoiled and bored.

But I certainly wont waste a moment of my life hating on the Mets or their fans....as many Met fans here seem to do in an effort to distract themselves from their own disasters.

You keep painting the Wilpons as the innocent victims of a financial fraud... and I'll watch tonights game with a childlike hope that my team shows some character.

you're prolly right re Wilpons...they're tainted & were VERY close to Madoff

I realize you're a real Yankee fan & always have been...& I was more of a d*ck Yankee hater for the better part of the last 5yrs...I am indifferent to the Yanks now & root for the Mets, that's it, 32..it was a baseball-only observation about this Yankee playoff team- listless dogs, outside of Jeter, Ichiro & Ibanez, along with great pitching that doesnt deserve what they're being dealt

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    it was a baseball-only observation about this Yankee playoff team- listless dogs, outside of Jeter, Ichiro & Ibanez, along with great pitching that doesnt deserve what they're being dealt
    Agreed. They are hard to root for...I concentrate on the uniform.

Even if they pull this out, this team needs an enema next year.

I wouldnt mind if the Steinbrenners do what they prolly want to do...and just pull the plug already. They need a fiery presence rather than the corporate faceless suit mentality that seems to have permeated the organization.

When the suits and the players only care about the money....and the fans seem to have reached the point where they aint paying anymore (hence the empty seats....) something has to give.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been a Yankees fan since the late 1960s and I feel their is plenty of truth to that article.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

How old are you?

First real Yankee games I remember are them blowing a 2-0 lead on the Dodgers. I remember asking my Dad to take me to the Yankee game on the 4th of July, and he said no. The only time he ever said no to taking me to a game, so Dave Righetti throws a no hitter.

96 is always the most special, as it was a bunch of guys you could really get behind. 98 was awesome because you KNEW you were seeing something really rare.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    How old are you?
    Its right there in my post, iffin you do the math, more or less.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its right there in my post, iffin you do the math, more or less.

I was told there would be no math in this thread. But I'll go with 13 in 76 so 10 older than me

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty good article and if there are points to disagree with there is also a lot that resonates. There's a difference between hooking up with a girl at a party and hiring a prostitute. One you hope to get laid, the other you expect to. And if getting laid however it happens is your top priority then indeed paying for it is the way to go. It only becomes a problem when you're paying for it but not getting it. On the other hand, if the WS went to the team with the highest payroll every year the league would fall apart from lack of interest in no time.

I disagree with those who think the season is too long and the game too slow. Personal preference, but I love the tradition of baseball, and the way its pace is rooted in rural America, in the timing of farm life, from first plant to harvest, from sunrise to sunset. I hope that's something that never changes. I would like to see more teams year to year in the mix. I'd like fans of every team to experience the thrill of winning a world series.

Only thing I wish the author had added was a comparision of the ability to "buy championships" among the different sports. It may be that baseball is the one most suited for it. NFL has a salary cap but even if it didn't, there are so many positions to fill, injury is so prevalent, and careers are so short lived that it'd be extremely difficult to put together a championship simply through a series of off season acquisitions. Basketball, maybe. Although is hoops, unlike baseball, your big hitters have to actually function as a team. So chemistry is a bigger issue.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Only thing I wish the author had added was a comparision of the ability to "buy championships" among the different sports. It may be that baseball is the one most suited for it. NFL has a salary cap but even if it didn't, there are so many positions to fill, injury is so prevalent, and careers are so short lived that it'd be extremely difficult to put together a championship simply through a series of off season acquisitions. Basketball, maybe. Although is hoops, unlike baseball, your big hitters have to actually function as a team. So chemistry is a bigger issue.
    Except, baseball has proven that you can't buy championships... Repeatedly...

Basketball has proven that you can collude with your buddies and win rings that way...

Football has proven you can buy one (multiple really, think 49ers) within my lifetime, then later cheat the game itself to obtain one (multiple really, think Pasts)...

As for hockey, I'm not very happy with the league at the moment so they're going to stay out of the discussion for now...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Except, baseball has proven that you can't buy championships... Repeatedly...

Basketball has proven that you can collude with your buddies and win rings that way...

Football has proven you can buy one (multiple really, think 49ers) within my lifetime, then later cheat the game itself to obtain one (multiple really, think Pasts)...

As for hockey, I'm not very happy with the league at the moment so they're going to stay out of the discussion for now...
    Interesting. Explain how the 49ers bought Super Bowls. First time I've heard this.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Interesting. Explain how the 49ers bought Super Bowls. First time I've heard this.
    I have no idea why I said the 49ers

I think it was because they were fined around the same time for doing something similar but they weren't winning titles so it doesn't really matter...

The Broncos... I think Crazy Al is the one who brought it to light...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I rooted for the Yanks when Ballantine(sp) Beer was a sponsor.