Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Holmgren to leave Browns

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Mike Holmgren to leave Browns

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/85...al-sources-say

New Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam, whose takeover of the team was officially approved Tuesday, will name Joe Banner the team's CEO/president and current president Mike Holmgren will leave the organization, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Ed Werder.

The timing of Holmgren's departure from the Browns is unclear. While a source tells Werder that he could leave the organization soon, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that Holmgren will finish out the 2012 season with the Browns.

Haslem has a news conference scheduled for Tuesday afternoon and will announce the Banner move, the sources said. It is unknown if Holmgren's status will be addressed at the news conference.

Haslem will close his deal to buy the Browns with Randy Lerner on Oct. 25 but these changes will take place before then.

Holmgren, the former head coach of the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks, joined the Browns on Jan. 5, 2010. The 64-year-old Holmgren officially had the title of team president. He was instrumental in the hiring of current Browns head coach Pat Shurmur.

Haslam bought the team from Lerner for $1 billion, and the owners voted 32-0 Tuesday to approve the deal. Haslam, who built his fortune with Pilot Flying J truck stops, has been a minority owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers, but divested that stock to buy the Browns.

Haslam and Lerner agreed to the sale in August just as training camp was opening. Haslam has said his mission is to bring winning football back to Cleveland; the Browns have made the playoffs once since returning to the NFL in 1999.

Jets Insider VIP
    hmmm... An upgrade over Tanny?

I doubt thats much of an upgrade he left Seattle a mess. Taking a 29 year old QB in the first round really shows he isnt GM material. Maybe a decent coach but not a GM.
    Last edited by nyjets1969; 10-16-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

Sure, maybe he will get Dave Winfield to play TE for us.

no we need to move forward not backwards.

grab an Asst. GM from the Steelers, Niners, Texans, Ravens, etc. There is lots of young high FOOTBALL IQ talent out there.

Veteran
    Never a fan of his and is also a good move for a a new owner. Let him start from scratch. Maybe he also knows he's hyped for whatever reason.

Banned

If you're going to fire Tanny, at least get someone who will be a significant upgrade. Holmgren is a good coach, but pretty lousy at making personnel decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    If you're going to fire Tanny, at least get someone who will be a significant upgrade. Holmgren is a good coach, but pretty lousy at making personnel decisions.
    +1 No more entry level Coach's or GM's.

Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Agreed.

Holmgren and Mike Shannahan both had a shot at RG3 this offseason. Holmgren had a better pick as well as an extra first round pick. He lost. Then he reached on Weeden.

Holmgren is now fired, while Shannahan has one of the most young exciting teams in football.

I want no part of Holmgren on this team EVER.

Took a QB in the draft who's in his high 20s... I wouldn't have taken Weeden in the 5th round, let alone the first. To short a shelf life for a position that takes AT LEAST 3 years to remotely figure out.

Jets Insider VIP
    We need a young, hungry up-and-comer...someone here suggested Eric DeCosta from Baltimore. I don't know much about him but Tanny was best when he was younger, driven and innovative. He seems to have slid into lazy mediocrity at this point.

I wouldn't have a problem taking a chance with a first-time GM if we retained most of our scouting department. Aside from the occasional busts (which every team has) I think Bradway and company have done a decent job at identifying talent over the years.

Veteran
    Aside from the occasional busts (which every team has) I think Bradway and company have done a decent job at identifying talent over the years.
    I don't have a problem with Tanny as I believe he hasn't reached on 98% of his picks. I posted I would take Polian if the Jets wanted to go in another direction, not implying I'm dissatified with Tanny. No way to Pioli or Holmgren.

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    I don't have a problem with Tanny as I believe he hasn't reached on 98% of his picks. I posted I would take Polian if the Jets wanted to go in another direction, not implying I'm dissatified with Tanny. No way to Pioli or Holmgren.
    this past draft looks pretty good. i know they've cut a few guys but the first 3 picks look good and allen will stick. impact players.

Joe Banner was my little league coach. If hitting lazy fly balls to unathletic 12 year olds is just the jump-start the Browns need, then this is definitely a great day to be a Cleveland fan.

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    Joe Banner was my little league coach. If hitting lazy fly balls to unathletic 12 year olds is just the jump-start the Browns need, then this is definitely a great day to be a Cleveland fan.
    On one hand I want to root for Cleveland because their luck is worse than ours (and their uniforms rock), but on the other.. if they win the Super Bowl before us I'm going to kill myself.

What a charmed life Holmgren must lead. He gets brought in to run the Cleveland organization, and then they end up sucking even worse than before he started. And he probably made a mistake by firing Mangini and bringing in a guy that has also had worse results! He signed a 5 year 40 million dollar contract, which has got to be unheard of for a team president or GM, and what exactly did he do, other than fire a decent coach?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    What a charmed life Holmgren must lead. He gets brought in to run the Cleveland organization, and then they end up sucking even worse than before he started. And he probably made a mistake by firing Mangini and bringing in a guy that has also had worse results! He signed a 5 year 40 million dollar contract, which has got to be unheard of for a team president or GM, and what exactly did he do, other than fire a decent coach?
    He did give Mangini another year after he was hired considering his previous results were not good. I'm surprised Mangini didn't make it after the Jets and the way the defense performed during his tenure. I bet he regrets leaving the Patriots in the first place..

Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    Agreed.

Holmgren and Mike Shannahan both had a shot at RG3 this offseason. Holmgren had a better pick as well as an extra first round pick. He lost. Then he reached on Weeden.

Holmgren is now fired, while Shannahan has one of the most young exciting teams in football.

I want no part of Holmgren on this team EVER.
    Thank you. Holmgren was done 10 years ago. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    He did give Mangini another year after he was hired considering his previous results were not good. I'm surprised Mangini didn't make it after the Jets and the way the defense performed during his tenure. I bet he regrets leaving the Patriots in the first place..
    He shouldn't regret it, he got to be a head coach in the NFL on 2 different teams, and probably could've been successful in either place had he been given more of an opportunity. The thing he himself probably regrets now is turning in Belichick for cheating, because it seems like he's been black listed out of the league after being fired by Cleveland. He really was an OK head coach, with a chance to get better, and Cleveland (and Holmgren) couldn't wait to get rid of him, and now the Browns are even worse off, they had lost 11 in a row up until last week, and somehow Mike Holmgren makes FORTY MILLION ****ING DEUTSCH MARKS, to literally leave the team as even more of a mess than what he took over with. Seems a bit unfair, but I guess that's why the Browns are the Browns, fire a decent coach, and hire a former head coach to run the team's operations and give him a quadruple king's ransom, as if he's going to be some kind of savior on how to put the team together.