Thread: How bout Robert Malone?

How bout Robert Malone?

I simply can't remember the last time our punter trotted out onto the field and I wasn't expecting a shank. Maybe Tom Tupa?

Thus far, Robert Malone has punted 31 times for a 46.2 yard average, with 11 punts dropped inside the 20.

Yes, we're 3-3. But the field position game can matter so much going forward, and no matter how you feel about the punting position, it can change the complexion of the game. Sure it may not put points on the board, but field position MATTERS, especially when you have an aggressive defense.

With all of the heat that the front office has received for a lack of depth (and deservedly so) how bout some kudos for Tanny for having the balls to drop Conley and bring in this dude?
    Last edited by CTJets69; 10-17-2012 at 01:09 AM.

I liked Conley but this kid is definitely better...

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

He's been excellent, so far probably our 4th best player this season (lol) after Revis, Cromartie and Landry

Dude's been getting it done. Like you said, a pickup that's been paying off right out of the gate.

Jets Insider VIP
    Agreed. Malone is doing great. However, do not underestimate the benefits of incredible protection. Similar to a QB, Malone is enjoying a "clean pocket" because of the constant threat of fake punts by Tebow. I can't remember a time when a team has faked as many punts as the Jets have been doing. This is resulting in Malone having a lot of time to get off a relaxed, unrushed punt. This isn't the sole reason he's punting so well, it is largely him, but I do think very limited pressure from rushers is helping.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 10-17-2012 at 01:26 AM.

His hang times are unbelievable.

As sad as it is to say that a punter is one of our best players...you really can't argue with the results thus far.

Like I said in my original post, 9 times out of 10 a punter is a non-factor that simply advances the ball. When you can pin someone deep or prevent them from returning the ball due to the sheer amount of time that the ball's in the air...that's a distinct advantage.

Malone Has Been Excellent

So glad to see Conley go. He was a ST project (allegedly showed steady improvement, worked on increasing leg strength in off-season, etc.) who was wildly inconsistent -- just can't have a guy like that on a team with playoff aspirations. There are more than 32 guys on the street who can be adequate replacements for just about any punter currently in the NFL. Kudos to Westhoff for not letting his ego supercede the interests of the team this time.

Quote Originally Posted by CTJets69 View Post
    His hang times are unbelievable.

As sad as it is to say that a punter is one of our best players...you really can't argue with the results thus far.

Like I said in my original post, 9 times out of 10 a punter is a non-factor that simply advances the ball. When you can pin someone deep or prevent them from returning the ball due to the sheer amount of time that the ball's in the air...that's a distinct advantage.
    I'm always marveling at this hang times at the games. I just wish he was better at placing the ball inside the 20. He seems to over kick the ball into the endzone. Don't know his inside the 20 numbers off the top of my head; I would imagine they aren't that good.