Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else find this weird?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Anybody else find this weird?

Woody was apparently told in advance about the fake punt play that was being designed for Tebow and had concerns whether Bellore could catch. Anybody else think that it's weird to be discussing prospective plays with the non-football owner?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its weird Bellore caught it.

Oh, and considering Woodsy is the one who wanted Tebow here to begin with, I'm pretty sure he checks in to see how he is progressing and what he's up to.

-

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you would have no concerns about Nick Bellore being thrown a pass?

Hindsight is 20/20... but if they told me "yeah we have this cool fake punt planned... Timmy is gonna get the snap and do a sprint left then jump pass right to Nick Bellore... he'll be wide open... it'll work like a charm"

My reaction would've been something like this at first then this

And I'm sure far more owners are asking coaches about the team's day to day activities and plays in practice. It's not just Woody.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    Woody was apparently told in advance about the fake punt play that was being designed for Tebow and had concerns whether Bellore could catch. Anybody else think that it's weird to be discussing prospective plays with the non-football owner?
    Yeah, it's a little weird. I can see it being more of a shootin the **** on the sideline of practice, than a phone call in Woody's office discussing the play.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Link?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    So you would have no concerns about Nick Bellore being thrown a pass?

Hindsight is 20/20... but if they told me "yeah we have this cool fake punt planned... Timmy is gonna get the snap and do a sprint left then jump pass right to Nick Bellore... he'll be wide open... it'll work like a charm"

My reaction would've been something like this at first then this

And I'm sure far more owners are asking coaches about the team's day to day activities and plays in practice. It's not just Woody.
    No, I agree that Woody asked a legitimate question. My thoughts revolve around why this was discussed with him.

Do you really think that if this play was designed when Brad Smith was the personal protector that Woody would have known about it in advance?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, I agree that Woody asked a legitimate question. My thoughts revolve around why this was discussed with him.

Do you really think that if this play was designed when Brad Smith was the personal protector that Woody would have known about it in advance?
    Maybe, maybe not. But you probably wouldn't care that he asked either and it wouldn't be reported. But because it's Tebow...

This is a non-issue.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Link?
    The Jets won the game 35-9, due in part to the risky play. It was so unexpected that when coach Rex Ryan told owner Woody Johnson what they planned to do, Johnson asked Ryan if Bellore could catch.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...p-on-punt-fake

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ And Ryan answered : "Well....I do know for a fact that he can catch a cold at least. Does that count?"

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    He's the owner - he can do whatever the fuk he wants. If he wants to be kept abreast of certain developments and what not, who cares? If he went and said "Well, throwing to Bellore is great....but why not have Tebow fake the run and throw it to....himself? Wouldn't that be awesome and ripe for an ESPN highlight?"

That, I'd be concerned with.

We make big assumptions as to what Woody's involvement with the team is. Perhaps he has a little bit more knowledge about the inner workings of the team. If I were an owner, I would. I'd also have a great big office overlooking the practice field with a bar hidden in a globe. I'd have former Jet greats hanging out at the facility and my office all the time just shooting the sh!t and playing golf. I'd walk around the practice field yelling meaningless cliches. "Look Alive!" "Keep your head in the game!" "I wanna see 110%!"

And goddamnit, I'd want to be fed some juicy details about the team and upcoming strategy, so I can interject nonsensical suggestions (that would be summarily dismissed) - with the impending fake punts being one high on the list.

RV also had a great suggestion when this topic came up last - there would be a program where your regular joe shmo fan would be able to date a cheerleader. We'd double date, of course. "Well, Brian St. Fan.....did you know that Misty here is a Virgo and enjoys Vodka Cranberries? You didn't, huh?"

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was written in a "matter of fact" style in the article. I'm sure the owner has access to practice and meetings, I really don't see a issue.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Eh, not really

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crash, with all due respect to our owner I think that you have a lot more football knowledge then he does. I would bet over your respective lifetimes, that you have watched more football then he has.

That being said we all have fantasies of how we would act if we owned the team. In over a decade we have never heard of Woody being involved or informed of any types of play designs or gameplans. Now with his boy Tebow he is. Of course it's within his rights. It's his team.

I just find it weird and not entirely appropriate. You can't see how him wanting to know from the coaches how they are going to use Tebow puts subtle pressure on them to involve him more?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crash, with all due respect to our owner I think that you have a lot more football knowledge then he does. I would bet over your respective lifetimes, that you have watched more football then he has.

That being said we all have fantasies of how we would act if we owned the team. In over a decade we have never heard of Woody being involved or informed of any types of play designs or gameplans. Now with his boy Tebow he is. Of course it's within his rights. It's his team.

I just find it weird and not entirely appropriate. You can't see how him wanting to know from the coaches how they are going to use Tebow puts subtle pressure on them to involve him more?
    I find it weird that you are worried about this. So when is it not appropriate for someone to discuss their job with their boss? How do you know they do not have these conversations every week about the game plan in general? Just because you feel you know more about football than Woody, doesnt mean that Woody shouldnt know whats going on with his team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like Crash aptly pointed out, Woody is the owner and can do whatever the hell he wants. If he wanted Rex to send him a copy of the full gameplan every week before the game, Rex will have to do it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Like Crash aptly pointed out, Woody is the owner and can do whatever the hell he wants. If he wanted Rex to send him a copy of the full gameplan every week before the game, Rex will have to do it.
    And I pointed out he has every right to also. My point is, is this a good thing. If this was always done then it's not big deal. In over a decade of Woody owning the team we never had any hints of anything like this being done.

Now Tebow is here and it's done. We get rumors in the media how Woody wants Tebow to have a bigger role.

Is that the proper role for our owner?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    And I pointed out he has every right to also. My point is, is this a good thing. If this was always done then it's not big deal. In over a decade of Woody owning the team we never had any hints of anything like this being done.

Now Tebow is here and it's done. We get rumors in the media how Woody wants Tebow to have a bigger role.

Oh, I get your point and from a "football operations" standpoint, it might be questionable if it is the right thing to do.

The problem is that in situations like these when 1 party has 100% control, it is hard to say whether that person should or shouldn't do something.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    would this thread had been started if Woody built the Jets stadium in NY?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post

Why have a team at all if you can't do that?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

He didn't annoint himself GM, like Jerry Jones did. It seems that he occasionally wants to know about what is going on with the team. Unless we are worried about a "Loose Lips Sinks Ship" type of issue (i.e. Woody getting tanked at a cocktail party, whispers to one of the Koch Bros. "I know about a secret play that you don't know....wanna know what it is?"), there is really nothing to see here.

The guy is in the facility, he's watching practice. What we are talking about is probably as innocent as: Woody walking by, seeing them working on a play and when someone gives him the low down as to what's going on, he comments "Can Bellore catch?" Answer "Yes". And we're done.

Short answer to your query: No, its not weird - its perfectly within the realm of normalcy.
    Last edited by crasherino; 10-17-2012 at 12:50 PM.