Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else find this weird?

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    The guy is in the facility, he's watching practice. What we are talking about is probably as innocent as: Woody walking by, seeing them working on a play and when someone gives him the low down as to what's going on, he comments "Can Bellore catch?" Answer "Yes". And we're done.

Short answer to your query: No, its not weird - its perfectly within the realm of normalcy.
    If that's the way it happened then I would agree with you. It's innocent and harmless. If it didn't happen that way and happened by Woody asking what kind of plans do you have to use Tebow this week in a way he never asked with other players then I would argue it's not a good thing.

I guess we won't know the answer to that.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    If that's the way it happened then I would agree with you. It's innocent and harmless. If it didn't happen that way and happened by Woody asking what kind of plans do you have to use Tebow this week in a way he never asked with other players then I would argue it's not a good thing.
    I guess we won't know the answer to that.
    I dunno - still think its pretty normal even when you paint it in the way you describe. (And I have no real affinity towards Woody).

But, reasonable minds can disagree.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Crash, with all due respect to our owner I think that you have a lot more football knowledge then he does. I would bet over your respective lifetimes, that you have watched more football then he has.

That being said we all have fantasies of how we would act if we owned the team. In over a decade we have never heard of Woody being involved or informed of any types of play designs or gameplans. Now with his boy Tebow he is. Of course it's within his rights. It's his team.

I just find it weird and not entirely appropriate. You can't see how him wanting to know from the coaches how they are going to use Tebow puts subtle pressure on them to involve him more?
    I have forgotten about more football and Jets history than Woody Johnson can ever hope to learn -- and if I owned the Jets, I'd be pissed at my football people for wasting their precious time telling me about a game plan or aspects thereof.

I like that he cares enough to ask the question. I think the biggest knock on woody on a day to day basis is that he doesn't care if his team wins or loses. I think that question proves otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Why have a team at all if you can't do that?
    Exactly. why even own a team if you are going to be joe schmo fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    I like that he cares enough to ask the question. I think the biggest knock on woody on a day to day basis is that he doesn't care if his team wins or loses. I think that question proves otherwise.
    No the biggest knock on Woody is not that he doesn't care. I don't know of anybody who thinks he doesn't care.

I think the biggest knock on him is his incompetence and if you combine incompetence with meddling then that is a recipe for disaster.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    would this thread had been started if Woody built the Jets stadium in NY?
    BWAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA

SAR I

All Pro
    I have no problem with him asking questions about the team, or the game plan.

I would have problems with him trying to help make the game plan. One is an owner who wants to be a part of that which he owns, the other is Jerry Jones.

JetsInsider.com Legend

We make big assumptions as to what Woody's involvement with the team is. Perhaps he has a little bit more knowledge about the inner workings of the team. If I were an owner, I would. I'd also have a great big office overlooking the practice field with a bar hidden in a globe. I'd have former Jet greats hanging out at the facility and my office all the time just shooting the sh!t and playing golf. I'd walk around the practice field yelling meaningless cliches. "Look Alive!" "Keep your head in the game!" "I wanna see 110%!"

And goddamnit, I'd want to be fed some juicy details about the team and upcoming strategy, so I can interject nonsensical suggestions (that would be summarily dismissed) - with the impending fake punts being one high on the list.

RV also had a great suggestion when this topic came up last - there would be a program where your regular joe shmo fan would be able to date a cheerleader. We'd double date, of course. "Well, Brian St. Fan.....did you know that Misty here is a Virgo and enjoys Vodka Cranberries? You didn't, huh?"
    That was very funny, and very funny hurts my healing hernia so please stop.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    I have no problem with him asking questions about the team, or the game plan.

I would have problems with him trying to help make the game plan. One is an owner who wants to be a part of that which he owns, the other is Jerry Jones.
    Seriously? Doesn't it matter what questions he asks? Woody goes on TV and says you can never have too much Tebow. Then during the week he calls Rex and asks, "so how do you plan to use Tebow this week?" You don't think that puts a subtle pressure on the coaches? You have no problem with that?

Jets Insider VIP
    Seriously? Doesn't it matter what questions he asks? Woody goes on TV and says you can never have too much Tebow. Then during the week he calls Rex and asks, "so how do you plan to use Tebow this week?" You don't think that puts a subtle pressure on the coaches? You have no problem with that?
    I too have a problem with that...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

You make it seem that he's otherwise utterly detached from the team. That this one grain of information is the only thing that he has knowledge of. Other than that it fits your agenda, why do you think that is reality?

why do you think that is reality?
    Because I have been extremely involved reading everything that I can about the Jets for the last 40 years and I have never read anything about any owner knowing anything about specific plays in a gameplan - and reading what I have this season regarding Woody and Tebow makes this scenario very plausible in my eyes.

Woody was apparently told in advance about the fake punt play that was being designed for Tebow and had concerns whether Bellore could catch. Anybody else think that it's weird to be discussing prospective plays with the non-football owner?
    Wierd? Naaa, just adds to the absurd front office as we know it............

Spot on QJF, right on board with this. Its exactly whats wrong with it.

Because I have been extremely involved reading everything that I can about the Jets for the last 40 years and I have never read anything about any owner knowing anything about specific plays in a gameplan - and reading what I have this season regarding Woody and Tebow makes this scenario very plausible in my eyes.
    With all due respect we had an owner who had no role in the football operations, Leon Hess, and I think we can all agree his tenure as owner can be described kindly as less then successful.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 10-17-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Crash, with all due respect to our owner I think that you have a lot more football knowledge then he does. I would bet over your respective lifetimes, that you have watched more football then he has.

That being said we all have fantasies of how we would act if we owned the team. In over a decade we have never heard of Woody being involved or informed of any types of play designs or gameplans. Now with his boy Tebow he is. Of course it's within his rights. It's his team.

I just find it weird and not entirely appropriate. You can't see how him wanting to know from the coaches how they are going to use Tebow puts subtle pressure on them to involve him more?
    when you make a billion dollars go buy the Jets.

if you don't like the owner - too bad. realize he's going to be the owner for a while. if it's a deal killer, root for another team.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    would this thread had been started if Woody built the Jets stadium in NY?
    spot on.

or it the owner was mr. hess.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    With all due respect we had an owner who had no role in the football operations, Leon Hess, and I think we can all agree his tenure as owner can be described kindly as less then successful.
    but the stadium was in queens (for most of the time) so that's a plus for some people.

not really sure why some people don't change their teams. it's suppose to be entertainment. go find a team that you can love to cheer on versus being a negative nelly all the time.

This is not about where the Jet team plays as much as some of you insist to try and make it. This is about something that very well may affect how the team performs.

This is also a Jet message board designed to discuss these kind of issues. Talking about Hess or Queens is completely irrelevant to the topic.

You guys don't care that apparently all of a sudden our coaches are sharing play designs with our owner over a player that this owner lobbied very hard to get and talks publicly on TV how the "more he plays the better" then good for you guys.

I would argue that people who want to see the Jets win should be displeased to see this happening.