Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Philip Rivers Done?

Is Philip Rivers Done?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...twork-mistrust

The San Diego Chargers were sitting pretty at halftime Monday night. Pasting the Denver Broncos 24-0, they were well on their way to taking a commanding lead in the AFC West. Of course, we all know this isn't how the story ended.

Instant Debate: Bolts blame game
    Who's to blame for San Diego's Monday meltdown: QB Philip Rivers, head coach Norv Turner or GM A.J. Smith? More ...
    Peyton Manning caught fire in the second half, and the Chargers completely self-destructed. Philip Rivers personally accounted for all five second-half turnovers (three interceptions, two fumbles -- not to mention, another first-half pick) and is taking the brunt of the criticism. I went back and studied the coaching tape to try and figure out why the Chargers quarterback struggled.

The two fumbles are easily explained. San Diego's offensive tackles took turns getting beat cleanly by Elvis Dumervil and they deserve the blame for each fumble. However, the interceptions and inconsistency in the passing game does fall on the shoulders of the Chargers signal-caller. Here are three reasons to explain why Rivers played so poorly:

Relive every game this season online and on-demand with enhanced viewing features, including the "All-22" coaches film. Get NFL Game Rewind.
    1) He was too aggressive.
    Decision-making is the most important aspect of quarterback play. Arm talent, athletic ability and excellent fundamentals are all irrelevant if you aren't throwing the football where it should be thrown. Rivers likes to attack defenses, but he got caught trying to force several balls into blanket coverage Monday night. He needs to improve his patience, take more check-downs or simply throw the ball away. Chargers receivers need to create more separation, but Rivers would be better served to find his tight ends and running backs when nothing opens up on the outside.

2) His footwork has been poor.
    What's wrong with Philip Rivers' arm strength? That was a question I was asked numerous times following Monday night's game. He floated two deep balls that were picked off and he also had two underneath routes that were undercut for interceptions. However, after studying the tape, I came away more concerned about his feet. He has developed two very poor habits. Most NFL passing plays require the quarterback to release the ball in rhythm (immediately after his third, fifth or seventh step) or with a single hitch step. In this game Rivers double- and triple-hitched after he completed his drop and he was repeatedly late on throws. Also, he struggled to reset his feet when he was forced to move around inside the pocket to avoid pressure. Until he fixes these two issues, his timing and accuracy will continue to suffer.

3) He hasn't developed chemistry with his new weapons.
    The Chargers lost talented wide receiver Vincent Jackson to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in free agency and brought in Robert Meachem and Eddie Royal to help replace him. Rivers had a great feel for Jackson, but he has yet to get comfortable with his two new receivers. I believe one of the reasons Rivers isn't throwing with more anticipation is because he isn't quite sure that he is seeing the same thing as his new receivers. His first-half interception was an aggressive mistake intended for veteran teammate Antonio Gates, but his three second-half picks were each intended for his new receivers (two to Royal, one to Meachem).

The good news for Rivers and the Chargers is that each of these issues can be corrected. Rivers can improve his decision-making, footwork and chemistry with his receivers. Those are things that can be developed during practice, so this is a perfect time for the Chargers to have their bye week. I am not as concerned about Rivers' arm strength after studying the tape. He doesn't have a huge arm, but he made several "stick" throws down the field. I expect Rivers to play much better when the Chargers head to Cleveland following their bye week.

I really doubt the Chargers attempt to trade or cut Rivers. But for fantasy land, would you trade a 1st rounder for Rivers? I would.

Yea lets trade for a QB whos turned it over 6 times in 1 game..GM of the year...

DUMP

Jets Insider VIP
    I don't know if he is done, but it does look like he is past his peak.

Jets Insider VIP
    Amazing when Rivers does this time and again as a vetern QB and he is still thought of as upper echelon QB by folks out here....

Can we imagine what this board would be like if Sanchez or Tebow had done this

A disgrace!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 10-17-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Amazing when Rivers does this time and again as a vetern QB he is still thought of as upper echelon QB

A disgrace!!!
    There would be an angry mob assembling at Florham Park to tar and feather Sanchez.....and this board would have to be shut down for a week...

Jets Insider VIP
    Sign the BEAST!!

Hall Of Fame
    No Charlie. I can't imagine a Jet QB playing like this:

Is Rivers "done?" No, but he needs to get traded to a team not coached by Norv Turner. It's amazing how much that Eli-Rivers trade altered the NFL landscape.

he throws the football like a sissy boy.

All Pro
    I doubt Rivers is done - but he's worn out in SD. Time for a change in scenery.

Like here

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    No Charlie. I can't imagine a Jet QB playing like this:

It's funny that people can look at other QBs making boneheaded plays and being like, "can you imagine if that guy played like that in New York?" ... Sanchez is a routine league leader in turnovers.

Hall Of Fame
    Before the season I was thinking of creating a thread about if things deteriorated in San Diego if we should make a play for Rivers. Depending on whether Sanchez improved.

Obviously the answer is that it depends on the price. He is 30 years old. He is a hot head and might not handle the NY media. I do not think he would work out with this current staff. A #1 is a steep price and the market was set by the Raiders so I believe a #1 would be the absolute minimum. I actually think the price would be closer to a #1 and a #2. I would not give a Top 10 pick for him. If we are in that situation I would rather try to move up for a young QB. However, with the new rookie wage scale the price to move up has increased.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Amazing when Rivers does this time and again as a vetern QB and he is still thought of as upper echelon QB by folks out here....

A disgrace!!!
    Exactly. Rivers is like Romo - can make some exciting plays, slinging the ball around but always finds a way to crap the bed at the same time. He has never scared me as a QB. If SD had hung onto Brees, they'd have a ring. The dude is not a winner - plain and simple - he's entertaining at best. No thanks!

Jets Insider VIP
    Before the season I was thinking of creating a thread about if things deteriorated in San Diego if we should make a play for Rivers. Depending on whether Sanchez improved.

Obviously the answer is that it depends on the price. He is 30 years old. He is a hot head and might not handle the NY media. I do not think he would work out with this current staff. A #1 is a steep price and the market was set by the Raiders so I believe a #1 would be the absolute minimum. I actually think the price would be closer to a #1 and a #2. I would not give a Top 10 pick for him. If we are in that situation I would rather try to move up for a young QB. However, with the new rookie wage scale the price to move up has increased.
    Yeah Phillip Rivers and the NY media would not mix. It would be like if Shockey played QB. Just a disaster waiting to happen.

Woody bringing in Rivers to win a Super Bowl in New York while Eli, his draft class brother, doesn't? Now THAT would be a PR coup.

Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    Yea lets trade for a QB whos turned it over 6 times in 1 game..GM of the year...

DUMP
    It's an article. The "Is Philip Rivers Done" title is from NFL.com

I don't understand your post, perhaps if you explained it a little better than being a douche. Thanks

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    This. He has a horrible push delivery coupled with a quick release. That equals diminished arm strength over the course of a season/career. Not to mention he's a fair-weather "leader" not capable of performing in the spotlight.

Pass. Time and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    +1

I never liked him as a QB and never understood how he throws the football

All Pro
    He may no longer be a top 5 QB - but to argue that rivers isn't a significant upgrade over Sanchez is insane.

Insane

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    +1

I never liked him as a QB and never understood how he throws the football
    first he takes the football and then thows funny. That's how he does it.