Thread: Santonio injury could jump-start Jets, Sanchez like losing Shockey did 4 Giants, Eli

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Santonio injury could jump-start Jets, Sanchez like losing Shockey did 4 Giants, Eli

Santonio injury could jump-start Jets, Sanchez like losing Shockey did for Giants, Eli
    By BRIAN COSTELLO

Over the offseason, Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez studied the career arc of Eli Manning, his counterpart across town with the Giants, and made note that Manning’s fourth season was the one when everything clicked. So far, the same can’t be said of Sanchez, who is ranked dead last in the NFL in completion percentage (49.7) and 30th in quarterback rating, above only Browns rookie Brandon Weeden and Chiefs disaster Matt Cassel.

But if Sanchez truly looked closely at Manning’s magical 2007 season, he would see things did not turn for Manning until the end of the year, when he played well in the team’s final regular season game then turned it up another notch in the playoffs.

Manning played those games without mouthy tight end Jeremy Shockey, who broke his leg in Week 14. Players who were around the Giants said Manning flourished without Shockey around.

Now, the same thing must happen for Sanchez without his problem child target — Santonio Holmes.

Holmes is finished for the season after having left foot surgery last week, and many people see it as a crushing blow for the Jets offense. But it actually could be a positive for Sanchez.

The chemistry issues between Sanchez and Holmes are well established. They barely spoke last season, and Holmes showed up Sanchez in front of teammates before the final game of the season.

The relationship appeared to be better through the first four games of this season, before Holmes injured his foot against the 49ers. But it was clear Sanchez was forcing the ball to Holmes at times, most likely to keep him happy. With Holmes in the trainer’s room, Sanchez and offensive coordinator Tony Sparano no longer have his oversized ego to consider when drawing up a game plan. Sanchez can spread the ball around. The Jets can run Shonn Greene more than 20 times a game, like they did Sunday. Sanchez targeted Holmes more than 30 percent of the time in each of the Jets’ first four games. Holmes was thrown at 39 times, which is the 30th most in the NFL, according to profootballfocus.com. That is with him missing the last two games. No one else in the top 30 has as few as his 190 snaps. With Holmes out, the distribution of passes has been much more even. Tim Hasselbeck, now an ESPN analyst, was Manning’s backup with the Giants in 2005 and
    2006. He is one of those who believe Shockey’s absence helped Manning flourish.
    Asked yesterday if he could see the same thing happening for Sanchez, Hasselbeck hesitated because of the talent around Sanchez. Unlike Manning, who had Plaxico Burress and Amani Toomer to throw to after Shockey’s injury, Sanchez has very little talent around him in the huddle.

Just trying to stay positive here folks. Hey you never know...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice thought but Brian is simply applying the term "wishful thinking" here.

As it was pointed out in his article, Eli did have Amani Toomer and a Younger Pre-Prison Plax. Sanchez has Door #1, 2, and 3 as his WR.....

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow talk about grasping at straws

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least it's not about Tebow

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    At least it's not about Tebow

Stay tuned. I bet Brian is writing a 5-page column talking about him as we speak.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post
    Wow talk about grasping at straws
    Its not grasping at straws it is dead on right. You watch and see if Marks passes do not leave a lot quicker, he does not have to take a second look at Holmes to see if he got a step..You will see Mark set and throw not worrying about the name on the back of the jersey.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would never wish injury on any player,especially a JET. However, this injury doesnt bother me in the least. Yeah I said it, and Im sure there are plenty of fans who agree with me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets80 View Post
    Its not grasping at straws it is dead on right. You watch and see if Marks passes do not leave a lot quicker, he does not have to take a second look at Holmes to see if he got a step..You will see Mark set and throw not worrying about the name on the back of the jersey.
    STL Jet fan
    I would never wish injury on any player,especially a JET. However, this injury doesnt bother me in the least. Yeah I said it, and Im sure there are plenty of fans who agree with me.
    Totally agree with both. But it's not only Sancheez, it's a lot of hungry new-to-the-team players that will be showing up big time. Plus Greene and the Oline tasting the success of last week.

I feel good... In fact, I feel better than James Brown!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    I feel good... In fact, I feel better than James Brown!
    Well that's good, considering that James Brown is dead. But I guess you meant that in a different way?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was exactly my point yesterday, I agree 100%...Holmes is a CANCER

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STL Jet fan View Post
    +1

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by STL Jet fan View Post
    Exactly my thoughts, where is that loser Moogles now?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Well that's good, considering that James Brown is dead. But I guess you meant that in a different way?

Just in case:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post

Somehow, with your negative att, I feel the need to educate. Try and get through it, you might not feel the world sucks for a minute or 2:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Somehow, with your negative att, I feel the need to educate. Try and get through it, you might not feel the world sucks for a minute or 2:

You should've let it be after your first response.

This recent one makes you look like a jerk. Just saying...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets80 View Post
    I really think that you are right. Sanchez already had a bad habit of staring down receivers and that was only made worse with Holmes coming to the Jets.

It is not like Sanchez was tearing up the league with Holmes out there at a minimum Sanchez can relax a little and just play ball. That was the key for Manning!!