Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Marcus Dowtin stays at Georgia for his Sr. Year...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

If Marcus Dowtin stays at Georgia for his Sr. Year...

He could've gone as high as the third round, instead he knocked some dude out cold (Kenrick Style) and got kicked off the team. Then he blew up at North Alabama and was their vocal leader on defense. Played inside and outside and they used him on the blitz. You look at Davis and Dowtin and you see sime similarities in terms of size (6.2 230) and athletic ability. Dowrin ran a 4.58 at his pro day with a 38 inch vertical, the guy is a freak and that's why Rex was raving about him.

I bring him up because we just signed him to the active roster. I'm thinking Westhoff sees a freak special teamer in the making. I think there's a revolution underway to get faster at the linebacker spot. Maybin finally got his chance and now we see Davis being a vocal leader add Dowtin to that young mix too now.

I'm also waiting to see if they use Sapp on passing downs, he's another you g guy. But back to Dowtin, here's a guy who might also play some OLB for us and provide some speed off the edge.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was watching him closely in preseason and i gotta say he didnt impress me at all. He didnt show anythin special.. But maybe i was wrong

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    He could've gone as high as the third round, instead he knocked some dude out cold (Kenrick Style) and got kicked off the team. Then he blew up at North Alabama and was their vocal leader on defense.

I bring him up because we just signed him to the active roster. I'm thinking Westhoff sees a freak special teamer in the making.
    Dowtin took John Connor's roster spot. The terminator has been released.

Jets waived FB John Conner with an injury settlement and promoted LB Marcus Dowtin from their practice squad.
    Conner gained fame on "Hard Knocks" thanks to his bone-bruising blocks on special teams, but the Jets quickly soured on his lead-blocking ability. An MCL sprain sealed the deal here. http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 10-18-2012 at 04:53 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    While i agree with the assessment that he didnt show much in the preseason, he also didnt play very much which IMO was by design, so that we could get him through to the PS.

While the fight issue at Georgia was what led to him leaving the program, the bigger issue apparently was that he didnt practice very hard. He always did great when inserted into the game, but for all his athletic talent, he didnt show it enough during the week.

All that being said, he is the type of LB that you need in the league these days....the big, thumping ILBs are a thing of the past, and now your LBs need to cover, and chase down the CJ spillers/sproles of the world.

Im hoping he is active on sunday and can be part of whatever coverage we are gonna use vs gronk and hernandez

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    While i agree with the assessment that he didnt show much in the preseason, he also didnt play very much which IMO was by design, so that we could get him through to the PS.

While the fight issue at Georgia was what led to him leaving the program, the bigger issue apparently was that he didnt practice very hard. He always did great when inserted into the game, but for all his athletic talent, he didnt show it enough during the week.

All that being said, he is the type of LB that you need in the league these days....the big, thumping ILBs are a thing of the past, and now your LBs need to cover, and chase down the CJ spillers/sproles of the world.

Im hoping he is active on sunday and can be part of whatever coverage we are gonna use vs gronk and hernandez
    IIRC, he also missed a couple-three weeks of TC with a hammy or ankle.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Must be a very athletic kid.... It seems like he's a bundle of energy. Westhoff has anew toy.

Marcus Dowtin’s ‘Blessing in Disguise’
    Posted 13 hours ago

John Holt
    Reporter
    @nyjets #JH
    Marcus Dowtin will forever classify Oct. 17, 2012, as the day his childhood dream came true.
    After going undrafted out of North Alabama in April, Dowtin had been a member of the Jets’ roster through training camp and then a member of their practice squad up until this morning, when he was signed to their active roster.
    “My initial reaction was just excited and thankful,” the rookie linebacker said. “I mean, not everybody gets this opportunity. So many people I know back home are on the streets and doing stuff they’re not supposed to do or not even getting an opportunity like this. I’m definitely just happy and blessed and glad I got the shot.”
    A spot opened on the active roster when the Jets announced they had waived fullback John Conner, who had been dealing with a hamstring injury in recent weeks.
    As soon as Dowtin was informed of the news, he called his mother, Lawanna.
    “She was very excited,” Dowtin said. “She took a deep breath and it kind of took the stress off her back, helping get me this far. It’s kind of rewarding to her as well.”
    The 6”2’, 230-pounder made the most of his time on the practice squad. While being listed on the Jets’ roster at LB, Dowtin said he played a variety of positions with the scout teams. Besides linebacker, he saw time at running back, receiver and cover safety.
    “It was kind of a blessing in disguise,” he said, “showing the coaches what I really could do, instead of just focusing in on just one position, linebacker, and trying to get that position right. I was able to fine-tune and sharpen up some of my skills in other areas. So it was a great experience.”
    While playing multiple positions sounds challenging in any sport, it wasn’t for Dowtin.
    “Versatility is definitely one of my biggest traits, but not everybody knows how versatile I am,” No. 44 said.
    Along with linebacker, he played tailback during his time attending Fork Union (Va.) Military Academy for high school.
    “I got a God-given talent, a lot of stuff that can’t be coached,” he said. “As far as what position I like better, I just like playing football. I don’t care where you put me at. I’d rather play more positions. As much as I can contribute to the team, and be out there, and try to win a Super Bowl, I don’t care what I got to do. I’ll snap the ball. I’ll hold it, whatever. I don’t care. I just want to win.”
    Dowtin feels grateful to have such a strong group of veterans inside the Jets locker room. He lists David Harris, Bryan Thomas, Bart Scott and Yeremiah Bell as the teammates he’s received the most wisdom from.
    “I work pretty hard,” Dowtin said, “so I’m definitely thankful that they even show me attention and give me some pointers and stuff.”
    Not only have his teammates been positive influences on him, but so has his head coach, Rex Ryan. He said what he loves most about Ryan is that he’s a player's coach who pushes his players to the best of their ability.
    “I dreamed to have a coach like Rex,” Dowtin said. “To have a coach like him and be on a team like this, I can’t help but give it 110 percent and give it all I got.”
    Sunday the Jets will take on their AFC East rivals, the New England Patriots, in Foxboro. And Dowtin will be the first to tell you it’s a moment he’s been anticipating for some time now.
    “To be all honest with you,” he said, “I believe I’m the spark, even if it’s on the sidelines, even if it’s on one freaking play in the game. I feel like I can get everybody excited, pumped up and ready to play. That’s going to be my role. If I get a chance, I’m going to do what I do.”
    In the NFL, rivalry games are the ones most players thrive off of. Even though New England presents the top offense in the league, the latest member of the Green & White active roster isn’t intimidated.
    “I love the rivalry games,” Dowtin said. “It actually kind of brings you back to your college days and you get kind of excited, with a chip on your shoulder. So I like the idea of the rivalry. I just feel like if we do what we’re supposed to do, there should be smiles on everybody’s faces.”
    Whether or not the Jets display smiles Sunday night, Dowtin surely deserved to smile today.
    “I won’t forget this day,” he said. “It felt like a big weight coming off my back. There’s definitely more improvement to make and more things to look forward to, but this is one step to being where I want to be.”

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...4-39a674469fee

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Notes: Played linebacker and running back as a Maryland prep. Attended Fort Union (Va.) Military Academy in 2007. Saw action in all 13 games at Georgia in ’08 as a backup linebacker, recording 17 tackles, no tackles for loss and no sacks with one forced fumble. Posted 57-7-2 with one pass breakup in 11 contests in ’09, making three starts at middle linebacker and one at “Will” linebacker. Missed the Tennessee and Vanderbilt games after tearing ligaments in his left ring finger and requiring surgery. Missed time in preseason camp in ’10 after being scraped up in a motor scooter accident. Played in 11 games with two starts at ILB (Kentucky and Florida) and registered 57-4 1⁄2-1 1⁄2 with one pass breakup and one interception. Missed the Arkansas game (shoulder stinger) and the Liberty Bowl vs. UCF (coach’s decision). Was charged with second-degree assault for hitting a man and knocking him unconscious in a group altercation in May 2010, and the charge was resolved before a court hearing in December. The Georgia coaches didn’t find out about the charges until January ’11, and Dowtin was released from his scholarship. Transferred to North Alabama, where he led the team in tackles, recording 115-9-4 with three pass breakups, one interception and four forced fumbles in 12 starts at middle linebacker.

Positives: Has a lean, cut-up physique. Highly athletic — quiet, safety-like movement skills. Good balance and body control. Quick-handed, quick-footed and agile to slip blocks. Flows laterally and ranges sideline-to-sideline. Closes fast. Fills the hole with authority. Shows striking ability. Drops effortlessly into zone and can intercept. Was used as a pass rusher and can get home as a blitzer. Productive. MVP of Battle of Florida all-star game.

Negatives: Small-framed and lacks ideal bulk. Can be covered up by larger blockers. Overruns some plays. Occasionally tackles high — will lasso or grab more than he should instead of driving through ballcarriers. Was athletically superior as a Division II player. Character needs to be looked into.

Summary: A legit SEC athlete, Dowtin stuffed the stat sheet in his only season at North Alabama. Has intriguing physical ability and versatility to play multiple spots in a fast-flowing, 4-3 front, as well as handle nickel linebacker duties and excel on special teams if he falls in line.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/pro...cus-dowtin-38/

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @MarcusDowtin: Enter The Hybrid-- Top priority for #44 Marcus Dowtin? "I just wanna win..."

http://t.co/4tYhnouV http://t.co/SSYrBELW

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guy sounds thoughtful, well-spoken and like a football player. Very interested to see what he's got - and I expect him to be active for the game though he'll likely only play on special teams. Got to rest the defensive regulars as much as possible.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    too small for a 3-4 LB but he would fit in 4-3

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kind of excited to see what this kid can do. In a perfect world Davis and Dowtin would be our future ILB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This dude brings some much needed speed. The more the Jets use 4-3 alignment the more likely he will see gametime.

So they cut Conner? Dude turned out to be a dud. Jets still haven't replaced T-Rich adequately.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was brought here to play the Pats so we could run the nickel and still stop the run. Same as Landry. If we can get him and Davis on the field with LAndry and Bell we can play a giant 4 man front, and still cover the spread, and stop the run. It's just a matter of if these guys can play or not.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    This dude brings some much needed speed. The more the Jets use 4-3 alignment the more likely he will see gametime.

So they cut Conner? Dude turned out to be a dud. Jets still haven't replaced T-Rich adequately.
    Conner really is a beast, but he can't run or catch, and he cannot seem to just block his man. He goes for the pancake, and ends up whiffing half the time. Hillard is much more consistant. Running backs would rather have a smaller window everytime than get blown up half the time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    too small for a 3-4 LB but he would fit in 4-3
    He is too small to play 3-4 LB in 2008 but things are changing rapidly as far as defensive personnel.

The trend towards more 4-2-5 alignments where you get as much speed on the field is just starting and whether by luck or design we are starting to get players that fit that mold. Demario, Dowtin, and antonio allen are all guys who are fast enough to cover and tough enough to play the run.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    He is too small to play 3-4 LB in 2008 but things are changing rapidly as far as defensive personnel.

The trend towards more 4-2-5 alignments where you get as much speed on the field is just starting and whether by luck or design we are starting to get players that fit that mold. Demario, Dowtin, and antonio allen are all guys who are fast enough to cover and tough enough to play the run.
    That's a very good way to look at it. One of the greatest things about the NFL is that the game and strategy is constantly evolving. The type of players that fit into each system changes as well. The Harris/Scott duo was the prototype ILB combo not so long ago. Now....not as much.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Conner really is a beast, but he can't run or catch, and he cannot seem to just block his man. He goes for the pancake, and ends up whiffing half the time. Hillard is much more consistant. Running backs would rather have a smaller window everytime than get blown up half the time.
    He is no beast. The guy cannot only block but misses blocking lanes and assignments badly.I never seen a FB run in the back of his own linemen like Conner does.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFAN 40 View Post
    He is no beast. The guy cannot only block but misses blocking lanes and assignments badly.I never seen a FB run in the back of his own linemen like Conner does.
    He is a FB that couldnt block, pass protect or catch the ball out of the backfield. He should have been waived 2 years ago.

Lex is a HUGE improvement at the position

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL...Connor is a beast but, he cant run, catch or block. What else is there for a FB to do??? LOL.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was brought here to play the Pats so we could run the nickel and still stop the run. Same as Landry. If we can get him and Davis on the field with LAndry and Bell we can play a giant 4 man front, and still cover the spread, and stop the run. It's just a matter of if these guys can play or not.
    Good points