Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets concerned about Pats' no huddle, Pace calls it 'borderline illegal'

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets concerned about Pats' no huddle, Pace calls it 'borderline illegal'

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...-tempo-offense

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New England Patriots always have been dangerous and fast-paced on offense. Now, according to the New York Jets, they're better and faster -- an "Oregon Ducks tempo," according to linebacker Calvin Pace.

And it's driving the Jets a little ducky as they prepare for Sunday's game in Foxborough.

"It's borderline illegal because sometimes the guys aren't always set when they snap the ball," Pace said Wednesday. "But it's smart. Why not hurry a team up? I wish we would do it. For a defense, it just puts pressure on you."

The Jets are trying to simulate the Patriots' up-tempo offense in practice, but it's not easy. When the scout-team offense finishes a play, it huddles to read the next play card, usually held up by an assistant coach. That takes precious seconds. When Tom Brady shifts into high gear, the Patriots' no-huddle attack operates at a breakneck pace.

Some Jets defensive players said they were struck by how quickly the Patriots ran their offense two weeks ago against the Denver Broncos. In that game, the Patriots ran 94 plays and compiled a team-record 35 first downs.

The Jets said Brady sometimes gets the snap before the defense has a chance to get set, allowing him to exploit vulnerable areas. They've seen the Patriots snap the ball with 22 seconds remaining on the play clock.

"It's very difficult," linebacker David Harris said. "You'll see defenses not even lined up and they're already running a play. They get a lot of extra yardage because of it. It causes guys to lose their mind. You can see it on film."

The warped-speed Patriots have run a league-high 473 plays, 39 more than the next team. And they're running them well, leading the league in total offense and scoring offense. They've produced at least 440 total yards in three straight games, tied for the longest single-season streak in the Brady-Bill Belichick era.

"It's flying, it's flying," defensive tackle Mike DeVito said. "You have to be ready for the express, hurry-up offense."

The Patriots' approach creates two types of stress for a defense. Obviously, it tests the opponent's conditioning. They also use the no-huddle to prevent teams from substituting -- a "trap," according to the Jets.

The no-huddle was on display against the Broncos, who took star pass rusher Von Miller off the field for a break and he ended up missing a long stretch. The Jets could get burned because they like to rotate their personnel in the front seven.

For example: If the Patriots convert a third-and-long with pass rusher Aaron Maybin on the field, they could shift into hurry-up mode, forcing the undersized Maybin to play run defense -- not one of his strengths.

"A lot of times, that's the purpose of it," safety Yeremiah Bell said. "They catch you in a grouping you don't want to be in."

A lot of the pressure will fall on Harris, who gets the play call from the sideline and relays it to his teammates. He'll have to do it quickly, trying to communicate it as players are scrambling to get into position.

"It's all on me," Harris said.

He said they have three rules when defending the hurry-up: Get lined up. Feet on the ground. Eyes on your keys.

Easy to say now. It'll be a lot harder at a frenetic pace, in a hostile environment. The Patriots' up-tempo attack, coupled with a dramatically improved rushing attack, is concerning for a defense still trying to find its legs after a terrible start.

"Hopefully, we can close them out of it by showing we can handle it," Pace said. "Hopefully, they'll start huddling back up."

I wish our offense would do it, too.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...-tempo-offense

I wish our offense would do it, too.
    +1, Sanchez has always looked more comfortable in a hurry up O

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    +1, Sanchez has always looked more comfortable in a hurry up O
    Several fans out here called for us to run the no-huddle. It seems like it is not such a crazy idea after all!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hit Tom Brady. He'll stop hurrying up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Several fans out here called for us to run the no-huddle. It seems like it is not such a crazy idea after all!!!
    It goes against Rex's philosophy of ball and clock control. But there's no denying the fact that Sanchez does seem to get into a rhythm when he's in a hurry-up.

I'm one of several people who have been asking for more of this for a couple of years. This style of offense is the way of the future and we're only going to see more of it from other teams.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It goes against Rex's philosophy of ball and clock control. But there's no denying the fact that Sanchez does seem to get into a rhythm when he's in a hurry-up.

I'm one of several people who have been asking for more of this for a couple of years. This style of offense is the way of the future and we're only going to see more of it from other teams.
    I think that you are 100% correct.

I think that Bellichick got the idea from his experince of preparing for the Bills K-Gun offence in the 90's......

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    Hit Tom Brady. He'll stop hurrying up.
    And who is going to do that?

Jets have one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see them try it too, but not this week.
    This is the definition of a "run to keep the ball away from them" game.
    The Pats will score when they have the ball.
    It's up to our o-line to put together long drives to give the d a breather, score points, and shorten the game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

Marcus Dowtin? idk.

plus, I didn't say they had to be on time hits. And, you only need to get close. Brady hates hearing footsteps. He'll fold faster than Superman on laundry day.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, after they see this article I'm sure they'll be running the hurry-up from start to finish.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marcus Dowtin? idk.

plus, I didn't say they had to be on time hits. And, you only need to get close. Brady hates hearing footsteps. He'll fold faster than Superman on laundry day.
    Yep, Brady needs to learn how to stand in the pocket like Sanchez.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marcus Dowtin? idk.

Actually, for a slow footed QB, Brady is VERY elusive. He also has one of the quickest releases ever.

I expect to see many Jets players have one play "injuries" on Sunday.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    strange

it doesn't feel like mid-April

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Actually, for a slow footed QB, Brady is VERY elusive. He also has one of the quickest releases ever.

So do I. Smart strategy really, gamesmanship I believe they call it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw that. Impressive. Didn't even have a receiver in the endzone and the ball was well on it's way. Awesome.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    So do I. Smart strategy really, gamesmanship I believe they call it.
    The rest of the league calls it gamesmanship. Here they call it cheating.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The rest of the league calls it gamesmanship. Here they call it cheating.
    different set of rules for the pats than everybody else. we know that.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets are trying to simulate the Patriots' up-tempo offense in practice, but it's not easy. When the scout-team offense finishes a play, it huddles to read the next play card, usually held up by an assistant coach. That takes precious seconds.
    Let me get this straight...they are trying to simulate the up-tempo offense, yet they still involve a coach's play card instead of giving the QB a few plays in advance.

Sweet.

-

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

The last time I can remember the Jets running the hurry up (when it was not needed) was two years ago in Foxboro when they got blown out 45-3. That experiment was an unmitigated disaster.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo....html#boxscore

Jets had 4 sacks on Sunday. Coples had 2. Mo Wilk 1. I get the feeling that NE is looking at that