Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manish Mehta: Rex Ryan relying less on Mark Sanchez

Manish Mehta: Rex Ryan relying less on Mark Sanchez

On the last day of training camp, Sanchez believed that he could be a top-10 quarterback this season. 'Oh sure. You got to think that. You got to play like that.' But he hasn’t delivered.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012, 11:38 PM

Rex Ryan was fuming last October in the aftermath of one of the most humiliating losses of his head coaching career. The Jets had just been embarrassed by a Ravens defense that he had helped build into a juggernaut during his tenure in Baltimore, and he knew something needed to change.

How could the Jets offense look so ill-equipped to handle what was coming at it on that Sunday night in Week 4? The pass protection was terrible and the quarterback was lost. The plan to let Mark Sanchez carry the offense during the first month last season was a failure. He averaged 37 pass attempts and had six touchdown passes and nine turnovers in the first four games.

A trip to Foxborough awaited.

Sources told the Daily News that Ryan was so angry about the game plan and execution that night that he nearly fired then-offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer after the 34-17 defeat.

It would be three more months before the Jets officially parted ways with Schottenheimer, but Ryan stepped in and made an executive decision before the Patriots game in Week 5 to morph back into the run-first team that helped Gang Green reach two consecutive AFC Championship Games.

The Jets lost to the Patriots, 30-21, but the players were encouraged by the philosophical shift away from leaning on Sanchez to carry the load.

The Jets (3-3) are headed down a similar path this season with Sanchez, who has been the least accurate passer in the league thus far, as they prepare for another road game against the Patriots on Sunday.

On the last day of training camp, Sanchez believed that he could be a top-10 quarterback this season. “Oh sure,” he said at the time. “You got to think that. You got to play like that.

“It’s my job to deliver it, be the triggerman, be what this team needs,” Sanchez added on that August day. “I’m ready to do that.”

But he hasn’t delivered. Sanchez’s struggles have been part bad luck and part bad play. The Jets lost top wide receiver Santonio Holmes to a season-ending foot injury in Week 3. Speedy wideout Stephen Hill and tight end Dustin Keller have missed time with injuries, leaving Sanchez without some of his best weapons.

“I feel like we’re more than capable in the passing game,” Keller said. “But we are built to be a running team.”

Although new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano wasn’t ordered to make a philosophical change after Sanchez completed fewer than 50% of his passes in four consecutive games, the Jets had season highs in rushing attempts (44) and rushing yards (252) in Sunday’s 35-9 rout of the Colts.

“Any quarterback will tell you . . . that makes your job a lot easier,” Sanchez said. “It’s not always like that every game, but that’s what we’re striving for ... to be able to rush the ball the way we did (against the Colts) and pass the ball efficiently.”

“If we need to throw it,” Sanchez said later, “we’ll throw it.”

Sanchez was an effective game manager with only 18 pass attempts in Sunday’s laugher. Most importantly, the fourth-year signal caller didn’t commit a turnover after three consecutive multi-turnover games.

The Patriots’ 29th-ranked pass defense may tempt Sparano and Sanchez to try a pass-heavy approach, but it could backfire. New England has given up a league-high 33 completions of at least 20 yards this season, but Sanchez hasn’t proven that he can consistently stretch the field through the air.

Sanchez isn’t on his way to becoming a top-10 quarterback this season.

He is the only sub-50% passer (49.7%) in the league, ranks 31st in quarterback rating (70.9) and is tied for 30th in yards per attempt (6.4).
    Turning back the clock to 2009 and 2010 is probably the best way for Sanchez — and the Jets’ offense — to succeed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1186231

If Rex didn't like the gampeplan, as Manish reports, then why didn't he change it..The gameplans are sent to him the coordinators by Tues/Wed..He's the HC..It's his team.

Hall Of Fame
    Sources told the Daily News that Ryan was so angry about the game plan and execution that night that he nearly fired then-offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer after the 34-17 defeat.
    Thanks, Rex. We had to put up with Schitty much, much longer than necessary.

Bewildered Beast
    Fer chrissakes, Belichick wants Brady to get them a 2 touchdown lead, just so Sanchise will HAVE to "carry the load".

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    If Rex didn't like the gampeplan, as Manish reports, then why didn't he change it..The gameplans are sent to him the coordinators by Tues/Wed..He's the HC..It's his team.
    rex knew he was getting rid of Schotty...patience grasshopper

Jets Insider VIP
    Same thing happened after the Giants game. Rex had no clue about the gameplan and didn't pay attention during the game that Sanchez was throwing the ball 60 times. Sanchez had 28 throws at halftime and Rex didn't do anything.

This is how I imagine it went down weekly between Schitty & Rex:

SCHITTY: "Rex, here's the gameplan for Sunday."

*Schtty hands Rex the play sheet*

*Rex skims over the play sheet, has no clue what he's reading*

REX: "Looks good. Go gett'm!"
    Last edited by SMC; 10-18-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think allowing someone whom you were going to fire in WEEK 4 to continue to mold and shape not only your offense but the development of your young QB for the rest of the season is a DISGRACE!!!

From not knowing what was going on concerning the offensive side of the ball (I was "cluesss" Rex said), to making Holmes a captin, to not getting superior offensive talent around your QB, to permitting this shows GROSS INCOMPETENCE!! I can not imagine what folks would be saying if Mangini or Edwards was committing these moves!!!

Shouldn't the GM step and DO something if the HC feels that the OC is INCOMPETENT!!!!

I guess all of us who were saying that Schooty didn't know what he was doing had a HC who felt the sasme way!!!

It is a Disgrace!!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 10-18-2012 at 12:46 PM.

in an odd way, rex achieves his goals seeing sanchez fail. on the road against the ravens, they weren't winning anyway. so they hang sanchez out to dry, then use the slaughter to justify a run-oriented gameplan.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    in an odd way, rex achieves his goals seeing sanchez fail. on the road against the ravens, they weren't winning anyway. so they hang sanchez out to dry, then use the slaughter to justify a run-oriented gameplan.
    Oh my goodness if something like this is true then Rex has to be let go at the end of this season.....

Sanchez sucks. A game manager is not a franchise QB. A game manager is not the 5th pick of the draft. Sanchez will make a great backup in the NFL in two years.

All League
    Manshizt and his sources

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I think allowing someone whom you were going to fire in WEEK 4 to continue to mold and shape not only your offense but the development of your young QB for the rest of the season is a DISGRACE!!!

From not knowing what was going on concerning the offensive side of the ball (I was "cluesss" Rex said), to making Holmes a captin, to not getting superior offensive talent around your QB, to permitting this shows GROSS INCOMPETENCE!! I can not imagine what folks would be saying if Mangini or Edwards was committing these moves!!!

Shouldn't the GM step and DO something if the HC feels that the OC is INCOMPETENT!!!!

I guess all of us who were saying that Schooty didn't know what he was doing had a HC who felt the sasme way!!!

It is a Disgrace!!!!
    Come on...a tired horse is better than no horse. jeepers.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    Now, that there is some Left Turn Thinking.

Oh my goodness if something like this is true then Rex has to be let go at the end of this season.....
    oh charlie

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... if greene can run the ball with the same pep in his step this week as last ... we'll keep the chains moving & have a chance ...

l_j_r

The silliness of all of this is that, if they kept running it and kept getting forced to punt (which is how it always worked out against the top defenses last year) we would have lost by a larger margin and everyone would have whined about opening up the offense and throwing down the field. It wasn't going to work either way...the offensive line couldn't protect the QB OR open holes for the running game last year...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post

oh charlie
    Just when you think the Pfail can't get any dumber, eh WCO?

It's a big reason why I post less and less on here.

Jets Insider VIP

oh charlie
    I don't get the horse statement..... I said out here on more than a dozen occasions that Schotty will be a better HC than he was an OC and I still stand by that statement. That is not what I was talking about.

I have been a Rex supporter but IMO opinion it is Insane that he let someone continue in their job if he thought that they were essentially incompetent. How was keeping Schotty in his command and control position as OC in any way going to help the offense if as it is being reported that Rex said Schotty had to go?

It wasn't like Rex was hands on with the offense last year. He himself admitted that he was "clueless" about what was happening with the team in general and the offense in particular.

You don't want to get rid of Schotty in the middle of the year fine, but how about taking his play calling duties away. That is you do this if you the HC feels that the OC isn't competent which Rex didn't!!!

I just don't see how you say I am going to fire a coach unless you think that they are incompetent.

The idea that you leave such people in place is the very reasons why guys on the team quit at the end of seasosns like they did last year.

Bewildered Beast
    I don't get the horse statement..... I said out here on more than a dozen occasions that Schotty will be a better HC than he was an OC and I still stand by that statement. That is not what I was talking about.

I have been a Rex supporter but IMO opinion it is Insane that he let someone continue in their job if he thought that they were essentially incompetent. How was keeping Schotty in his command and control position as OC in any way going to help the offense if as it is being reported that Rex said Schotty had to go?

It wasn't like Rex was hands on with the offense last year. He himself admitted that he was "clueless" about what was happening with the team in general and the offense in particular.

You don't want to get rid of Schotty in the middle of the year fine, but how about taking his play calling duties away. That is you do this if you the HC feels that the OC isn't competent which Rex didn't!!!

I just don't see how you say I am going to fire a coach unless you think that they are incompetent.

The idea that you leave such people in place is the very reasons why guys on the team quit at the end of seasosns like they did last year.
    To change the OC is a last ditch move, a desperation move. (Why not in March? ) The season would have been OFFICIALLY over, especially for us watching at home. (following the logic, by keeping his mouth shut, Rex made it possible for us to enjoy the Redskins game , and the....uh....CHIEFS game...can't forget that one....see how we benefitted? )

Besides, I get the feeling Rex knew Sparano was coming out of Miami. Just a hunch.

Hall Of Fame
    I said out here on more than a dozen occasions that Schotty will be a better HC than he was an OC and I still stand by that statement.

Veteran
    Wow, what a hit job by Mehta. On Sanchez and Ryan. He manages to use his "sources" to make Sanchez sound as if he has no support or talent, and Ryan to be completely uninformed, reactionary, and incompetent.

Now, it all might be true, but with Mehta, you always have to wonder. And the timing sure is interesting.

But, in the end, Ryan can't be shocked by what his offense does or get so angry—it's the offense he built through his decision making and focus. Drafting almost all defensive players, drafting Sanchez, paying all his attention to the defense, and sticking with Shotty created the offense as we see it.

If he is so unhappy with it and doesn't trust Sanchez, guess what Rex, do something about it.

Jets Insider VIP
    To change the OC is a last ditch move, a desperation move. (Why not in March? ) The season would have been OFFICIALLY over, especially for us watching at home. (following the logic, by keeping his mouth shut, Rex made it possible for us to enjoy the Redskins game , and the....uh....CHIEFS game...can't forget that one....see how we benefitted? )

Besides, I get the feeling Rex knew Sparano was coming out of Miami. Just a hunch.
    I see what you are saying!!!!