Thread: 4-3 without pouha/ellis

4-3 without pouha/ellis

I only saw part of the game Sunday but it seemed like they were running more 4-3 with wilk/coples inside. Can anyone confirm? The QB pressure was a welcome sight

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    I only saw part of the game Sunday but it seemed like they were running more 4-3 with wilk/coples inside. Can anyone confirm? The QB pressure was a welcome sight
    Yes. I have been talking about this - more 4-3 - for weeks. Everyone complains we don't have the personnel - but with Pouha and Ellis out we don't have the personnel for the 3-4 any better.

There were a lot of 4-3 looks with Will and Coples on the inside. They often got great pressure up the middle and Maybin was often sent to try to come around the back end. Lots of pocket pressure that Colts game and I 100% expect it to be a blueprint for this game.

Landry and Maybin blitzing around the edges with Coples and Wilkerson trying to pressure up the middle. Pace, DeVito and Bryan Thomas at DE.

There's more youth and speed with this roster in a 4-3 than a 3-4.

DeVito can play nose, then you can rotate Coples, Maybin, Wilkerson, Pace, and Thomas in and out of end. Coples can play tackle or End, Wilk's arguably large enough, too. That guy Harrison is enormous as well and should get time at nose with DeVito shifting to Tackle on rushing downs.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    There's more youth and speed with this roster in a 4-3 than a 3-4.

DeVito can play nose, then you can rotate Coples, Maybin, Wilkerson, Pace, and Thomas in and out of end. Coples can play tackle or End, Wilk's arguably large enough, too. That guy Harrison is enormous as well and should get time at nose with DeVito shifting to Tackle on rushing downs.
    Devito needs to be on the sideline. But we need to start more 4-3 looks. Your also forgetting the main reason we got pressure against the Colts was we actually had a substantial lead. Its amazing how much better a defense can be when they can just pin their ears back and t-off on the QB.

The young guys are coming through, would love to see Davis get more time in the 4-3, on the inside or outside.