Thread: Had mediocrity leveled the NFL ?

Had mediocrity leveled the NFL ?

According to the Wall Street Journal, in a hypothetical 32-team league where all teams have a 50-50 shot at winning every game, you would have ~10 teams with 3-3 records through six weeks. There are 11 teams with 3-3 records this year.

Overall, only three of 32 teams have more than four wins after six weeks. Only six out of 32 teams have less than two wins after six weeks, and everyone else is in coin-flip territory.

The Falcons are undefeated, but two of those wins came on last-second field goals against the Panthers and Raiders. The Texans just got blown out by the Packers at home. The Packers have lost three games already after only losing once last year. The 49ers are 4-2 and can only win if they get the lead early. The Ravens are crippled on defense and only beat the Cowboys last week because Jason Garrett is horrible at clock management. The Bears have the Jay Cutler. The Giants lost two games in their division already, one to the Eagles.

And these are supposed to be the good teams. They're not. They can all lose to each other and 20 other teams in the NFL.

Shouldn't it be "Has mediocrity leveled the NFL?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Shouldn't it be "Has mediocrity leveled the NFL?"
    You are quite correct thank you

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Is this another mediocre Troll Thread?

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    According to the Wall Street Journal,
    what the hell??? I'll believe it when I see it in BleacherReport

Not really. By the end of the season, the team's with great QBs and Ds will rise to the top and go on runs. Not all 3-3s are created equal and a few of the favorites have surrendured a couple of surprise losses early (albeit by very narrow margins).

I've said it before, I'll say it again - Pats have lost 3 games by a combined total of 4 points. They've hung with all of the good defenses and blew out the bad ones. Everyone was questioning the Packers and Rodgers until he threw for 6 TDs against the supposedly great Texans D. This might be the most parity season the NFL has ever seen. But it's still early.

Nahhh. Like someone else said the cream will likely rise to the top as the season goes on. Week 6 is way too early to be making declarations of anything on the state of the league. Even if the year plays out looking like this it's still really can't be looked at as more than just an anomaly until it goes on for a few years.

Even though all teams are on the same plane for salary caps they're not when it comes to the FO, coaching, and players. There will always be some teams that have better GM's who hire better coaches and draft better players.

Nope, dysfunction and incompetence and their counter parts ensure that from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    I've said it before, I'll say it again - Pats have lost 3 games by a combined total of 4 points. They've hung with all of the good defenses and blew out the bad ones. Everyone was questioning the Packers and Rodgers until he threw for 6 TDs against the supposedly great Texans D. This might be the most parity season the NFL has ever seen. But it's still early.
    Also consider that Packers should be 4-2 but for awful ref call that stole win from then. And they had their fluke narrow loss to Colts, just like Pats did to Cards. Those teams are 3-3, but could easily be 5-1. They will start winning at a higher clip. Broncos had brutal brutal schedule first 6 games and managed 3-3, wait until they rell off like 6 straight feasting on the patsies of the league. People getting too crazy after records after 6 weeks. Do the Pats, Packers, and Broncos still have Brady, Rodgers, and Peyton? Last I checked yes. They aren't in the same boat as Bills, Jets, and Phins, even with same record.

I think parity is high, but the parity is between flawed teams.

There's very few teams out there with what I would consider a truly quality win.

Regardless of record, I would still say that the Giants are the best team out there right now simply because they beat a very, very good Niners team.

Pats D is young and they lost Matt Light. The AFC this year is overall just very underwhelming outside of Baltimore and Houston, and they both lost very important players over the last two weeks.

So we'll see I guess, but yeah overall, the league this year seems dull. There's a lot of bad teams, a handful of terrible teams, then maybe 3-5 teams that are really good.

The cream will rise to the top, but it's already too late for it to rise as high as it usually does.

The last 5 season, there have been 2 years with 4 12-win teams, 2 years with 5, and a year with 6. In order for us to get to 4 this year, you would need a pair of these underperforming 3-3 teams to go 9-1 to close out the year. I think the Patriots are really good, but 9-1 is a tough ask for a great team, and I don't think they're great.

Going beyond that, we've averaged 3 13-win teams for the last 5 years. Other than the Falcons, who else is going to win 13 games this year? Maybe the Texans. The Ravens are out of the running, in my opinion, because of injuries. Every other team but the Bears already has 2 losses. The Bears have Jay Cutler.

We're already at the point where we can declare that this is going to be a "flat" year by NFL standards. The good teams aren't as good and the bad teams aren't as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    The cream will rise to the top, but it's already too late for it to rise as high as it usually does.

The last 5 season, there have been 2 years with 4 12-win teams, 2 years with 5, and a year with 6. In order for us to get to 4 this year, you would need a pair of these underperforming 3-3 teams to go 9-1 to close out the year. I think the Patriots are really good, but 9-1 is a tough ask for a great team, and I don't think they're great.

Going beyond that, we've averaged 3 13-win teams for the last 5 years. Other than the Falcons, who else is going to win 13 games this year? Maybe the Texans. The Ravens are out of the running, in my opinion, because of injuries. Every other team but the Bears already has 2 losses. The Bears have Jay Cutler.

We're already at the point where we can declare that this is going to be a "flat" year by NFL standards. The good teams aren't as good and the bad teams aren't as bad.
    If Peyton continues his level of play, Broncos have a shot at a 9-1 finish with their sched, which is very favorable. Other than at Giants and at Chicago, Packers don't really have anything that crazy. You're right it's a longshot though. Pats have too many tough games I think.

Veteran
    I think the word you're looking for is parity.