Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitar Amps. What do YOU play Through.

Guitar Amps. What do YOU play Through.

I have an old Marshall DSL

Damn things died three times on me, getting tired of having to get it repaired. Thinking about aquiring a new tonebox to play badly though and annoy my neighbors with.

Also have a Peavy Vypyr something or somesuch, digital modelign amp....very meh tbh.

Thinking of snagging a Fender Excelsior Amp on the cheap, like the cheap, dirty, bluesy tone it seems to have. Don't need huge volume for bedroom play.

Wondering what the JI folks play through.
    Last edited by Warfish; 10-18-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Traynor YCV80 4x10.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...p?tandt_rdir=1

The overdrive channel is admittedly useless, however the clean channel is exquisite. Warm tube amp that responds really well to the guitar volume. I run through a Mosfet fulldrive and TS-8 Tubescreamer and a analogman bicomp pedal T-Rex digital delay and a Z.Vex wah probe. Happy sounds man.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Fish get a Pignose, we need more guitar badasses that sound like Terry kath

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FKu54DhCqc
    Last edited by jetswin; 10-18-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Fender Blues DeVille Reissue 410

The Hot Rod is my every day amp. The DeVille I picked up off a buddy for a great price. He never played it because it was too loud. I never play it because it's too loud.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Fender '65 Twin Reverb.

I play a Gretsch 5420 Hollow body through it. Gotta have that spring verb....

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    The Hot Rod is my every day amp. The DeVille I picked up off a buddy for a great price. He never played it because it was too loud. I never play it because it's too loud.
    Throw a thick wool blanket over it with the treble on 10.

Wooly bully; big bully.

Bewildered Beast

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Traynor YCV80 4x10.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...p?tandt_rdir=1

The overdrive channel is admittedly useless, however the clean channel is exquisite. Warm tube amp that responds really well to the guitar volume. I run through a Mosfet fulldrive and TS-8 Tubescreamer and a analogman bicomp pedal T-Rex digital delay and a Z.Vex wah probe. Happy sounds man.
    ZVex Wah Probe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l939mecq_04

My son is an avid guitarist and has a Mesa Boogie Lonestar and a Marshall stack. I had a '65 Twin many years ago but unfortunately sold it.

Hall Of Fame
    I have this amp. Vox 15 style. This guy isn't me, obviously.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDQBmFw2-jk

Line6 30 watt Spider III. Not a tube amp, but this thing howls and screams. Great on board effects, too. Got it new for like $90 a few years back.

I've said this before, but the best feature is being able to get distortion and growl at low volumes. This comes in handy when playing early in the morning or late at night when folks might be sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Terry was such a great guitar player...a shame he died so young.

Hall Of Fame
    My problem with amps is much of my high frequency is shot due to years of loud music. I oven find that amps sound like someone threw a blanket over the speaker. Or on the other end of the spectrum, i try to boost a treble sound and it sounds like glass shattering.

I like Fender princetons and twin reverbs

I love the fuzzy, swirly sound of Voxes, but they can be tough to tame with fizzy sounds when you don't want them.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Line6 30 watt Spider III. Not a tube amp, but this thing howls and screams. Great on board effects, too. Got it new for like $90 a few years back.

I've said this before, but the best feature is being able to get distortion and growl at low volumes. This comes in handy when playing early in the morning or late at night when folks might be sleeping.

Since when did consideration count in Rock and Roll!!??

Bewildered Beast
    My Princeton is similar to Santonio Holmes; out of rotation in mothballs. Took over too many jam sessions; always sticking his nose in there. In 2007 I worked 6 months for Stagehands Union( told them I knew Pro Audio- total BS) and I did learn a ton about pro sound production.

Net net I use a multi effects w amp simulation and stack the effects in order (that's the trick) running

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Since when did consideration count in Rock and Roll!!??
    You're not married, or ever had a newborn, I take it?

Bewildered Beast
    Darn tapatalk

Running stereo out to two little practice amps about 10 watts each, now with this I can play a set with great variety.. Bridge of Sighs to 25 Or 6 to 4 to Blue Skies to Muffin Man,,,

So my classic amp sits too valuable to trade too expensive to take out to a jam session...Santonio

My next rig. Not sure if I'll try to get the vintage tweed or go for the mid 60s model. Check out the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0r1kVXSX3Q
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0_F...eature=related
    Last edited by southside; 10-19-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    My next rig. Not sure if I'll try to get the vintage tweed or go for the mid 60s model. Check out the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0r1kVXSX3Q
    What's with the monsters; are you playing gigs?