Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This is a MUCH MUCH bigger game for the Pats then Jets

Hall Of Fame
    The loss will not be devastating for either team. It is week 7 and there are only two teams in the AFC that are over .500. It would be a bad loss for the Pats because they are an 11 point favorite at home against a division rival, but this loss is not devastating to anyone right now.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The loss will not be devastating for either team. It is week 7 and there are only two teams in the AFC that are over .500. It would be a bad loss for the Pats because they are an 11 point favorite at home against a division rival, but this loss is not devastating to anyone right now.
    This.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    It's bigger for the Pats because they have expectations of being a SB competing team while our expectations for a good season is backing into the playoffs as a wildcard team at 9&7 or 8&8.

We accept our role as a second tier club the Pats don't.
    This.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    This.
    these.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Its also on account of expectations. I don't know what their o/u on wins were this year, but I'm guessing its in the 12-13 win range. They're expectations revolve around blowing out the AFCE and getting the #1 seed. Pretty hard to get there when you are 3-4. The Jets, OTOH, are expected to possibility compete for a WC birth. And even that is a stretch with all the injuries they've had.

The formula getting to 9-7/10-6 is still there for the Jets, even with a loss this week. For the Pats, 3-4 puts them WAY behind the 8-ball as far as getting that #1 seed. It also puts them 1.5 games behind the Jets as far as winning the Division. That's unheard of for the Pats. I don't recall the last time a Brady-led Pats team was that far out of 1st place almost halfway through the season.

This would be as devastating a week 7 loss could be for the Pats. But, its still week 7. The Pats could still go 12-4 - they've gone on runs like that before.

In reality, it would be more devastating for Pats fans as they have come to expect greatness year in/year out. Being .500 (or worse) at the midpoint of the season is unheard of for them.
    +1. Yes there will be great suffering all across New England if the Jets should manage to pull off a win. Our fanfase are already somewhat steeled for a loss and a "we'll get you next time"

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Our fanfase are already somewhat steeled for a loss and a "we'll get you next time"
    POSSIBLY.

+1. Yes there will be great suffering all across New England if the Jets should manage to pull off a win. Our fanfase are already somewhat steeled for a loss and a "we'll get you next time"
    So, what the majority here are saying is it will hurt Pats fans most because we're used to being winners, and hurt Jets fans the least because you expect to lose.

Sounds like a built in excuse to this guy. Weak sauce too.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    So, what the majority here are saying is it will hurt Pats fans most because we're used to being winners, and hurt Jets fans the least because you expect to lose.

Sounds like a built in excuse to this guy. Weak sauce too.
    Not completely true. There is also the already stated mathematics of the respective divisional records and which of the two teams has used up it's home game. Yes it is "only" game 7 but it is also not game 1 either.

That, plus there will be fans suffering in Gilder on Sunday night!

When your sentenced to 30 lashes and already got 29 of them your steeled. When your waiting for the first lash not so much.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    When your sentenced to 30 lashes and already got 29 of them your steeled. When your waiting for the first lash not so much.
    Many of us are already thinking that this game will likely be a loss but since both teams come into the game at 3-3 and we are not talking about going four games down to them then yes, we are somewhat steeled against that outcome.

This is particularly true since the events from the early part of the campaign. Downward adjustments have already taken place to our expectatiions (unless your name happens to be sg3, rayray or SAR that is).

I see this game as playing with house money to some extent. I think we have a shot not because I think we are good but because I thinks the Pats may have come down from off the mountain top to some degree. I think there is ZERO acceptance of this as even a remote possibility amongst the Patsie faithful.

Pride cometh before the fall

Here's reality. Looking at our roster and schedule prior to the season:

Gm 1: Bills: Projected W, W
    Gm 2: Steelers: Projected L, L
    Gm 3: Dolphins: Projected W, W
    Gm 4: Niners: Projected L, L
    Gm 5: Texans: Projected L, L
    Gm 6: Indy: Projected W, W
    Gm 7: Pats: Projected L

Seems to be a trend here.........

Honestly, I maintain the following: If you don't get a quality win all year, you aren't a good team. In 2009 and 2010 they beat the Pats once.

Both times made relatively deep playoff runs to the respective championship games.

So this game is effectively meaningless from my perspective because the Pats aren't that great this year and beating them would only inflate hopes that are honestly misplaced as far as I'm concerned.

I had this team at 9-7 and 10-6 at the beginning of the year with the only games that aren't easily guessed are the Seahawks and Cardinals. And I think both of them stink, but I think the Jets stink too.

If you want clarification on what defines stink it's when your QB isn't one of the guys who has won the past, what, 10 Super bowls?

Because there's no sport that's been truer to form. It's why I think the Pats aren't very good because they haven't won squat since they got caught cheating and their defense is young and they're losing to Russell Wilson and at home to the Cardinals with Kevin Kolb. That's some laughable stuff.

Hence no, this game means very little. We blew our chances against Houston and San Fran to make a statement this year and although emotionally beating New England would be satisfying, there's zero correlation between beating another massively flawed team and not having a true quality win on your schedule to being a decent football team and making a deep playoff run.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Here's reality. Looking at our roster and schedule prior to the season:

Gm 1: Bills: Projected W, W
    Gm 2: Steelers: Projected L, L
    Gm 3: Dolphins: Projected W, W
    Gm 4: Niners: Projected L, L
    Gm 5: Texans: Projected L, L
    Gm 6: Indy: Projected W, W
    Gm 7: Pats: Projected L

Seems to be a trend here.........

Honestly, I maintain the following: If you don't get a quality win all year, you aren't a good team. In 2009 and 2010 they beat the Pats once.

Both times made relatively deep playoff runs to the respective championship games.

So this game is effectively meaningless from my perspective because the Pats aren't that great this year and beating them would only inflate hopes that are honestly misplaced as far as I'm concerned.

I had this team at 9-7 and 10-6 at the beginning of the year with the only games that aren't easily guessed are the Seahawks and Cardinals. And I think both of them stink, but I think the Jets stink too.

If you want clarification on what defines stink it's when your QB isn't one of the guys who has won the past, what, 10 Super bowls?

Because there's no sport that's been truer to form. It's why I think the Pats aren't very good because they haven't won squat since they got caught cheating and their defense is young and they're losing to Russell Wilson and at home to the Cardinals with Kevin Kolb. That's some laughable stuff.

Hence no, this game means very little. We blew our chances against Houston and San Fran to make a statement this year and although emotionally beating New England would be satisfying, there's zero correlation between beating another massively flawed team and not having a true quality win on your schedule to being a decent football team and making a deep playoff run.
    So we stink for not having a good QB, the Seahawks stink for not having a good QB (but #1 D), and the Pats stink for having a HoF QB? Great logic. Everybody stinks.

I'm simply astounded by the lack of logic in your post. So the past 6 years or so, in which the Pats have won 12+ games numerous times, the division every year, and the AFC twice.... has convinced you that the Pats stink?