Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dreaming of a switch to 4-3 Defense in 2013.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Dreaming of a switch to 4-3 Defense in 2013.

Coples DE 22 yrs old.
    Kendrick Eillis DT 24 yrs old.
    Wilkerson DT 22 yrs old.
    Maybin (Pass rush only) 24 yrs old.
    MLB-Demario Davis 23 years old.

Contracts.
    Demario Davis
    - 5/31/2012: Signed a four-year, $2.9 million contract. 2012: $390,000, 2013: $480,000, 2014: $570,000, 2015: $660,000, 2016: Free Agent

Quentin Coples - 5/17/2012: Signed a four-year, $8.8 million contract. The deal is fully guaranteed, including a $4.842 million signing bonus. 2012: $390,000, 2013: $790,127, 2014: $1.19 million, 2015: $1.515 million (+ $75,000 workout bonus), 2016: Free Agent

Mo Wilkerson - 7/30/2011: Signed a four-year, $6.87 million contract. The deal included a $3.5 million signing bonus. 2012: $687,500, 2013: $1 million, 2014: $1,212,500, 2015: Free Agent

Maybin- is a free agent, but Im thinking he will be very cheap and is great could serve a purpose as a designated pass rusher on 3rd down.

Kendrick Ellis - 7/31/2011: Signed a four-year, $2.490 million contract. The deal included a $450,000 signing bonus. 2012: $465,000, 2013: $555,000, 2014: $645,000, 2015: Free Agent

Cutting Slow/Old linebackers Calvin Pace, David Harris(poss trade or cut), and saves us around 20 Million.

Ofcourse we will be drafting, or signing a few FA's BUT the combined cap hit of Davis, Coples, Wilkerson, Ellis arecombine to 5m for next year.

Young, Cheap, Fast, Cost controlled and a Ton of potential
    . Look out for the 4-3 next year. We never drafted an OLB---Only Dlineman--It just makes a ton more sense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Since Pace, Thomas and Scott will not be on the team next year, it wouldn't be too surprising.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Coples is better suited to play DT in a 4-3.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great on paper, but young inexperienced lines often end up being up and down at times.. Definitely need some veterans in the front 7 in rotation, I wouldn't mind seeing pace and scott go though.. It'd be nice to see Harris take over Scotts position and Davis take over Harris'

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    +1

I am really liking that idea of pressure up the middle.

I don't know what it is, but I feel like edge rushing pressure used to be a lot more effective in the NFL. So many great DE's and LB's were outside speed rushers. Maybe O's used to use more 7-step drops and such.

When I watch games these days I find it pretty remarkable how ineffective edge rushers are.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    +1

I am really liking that idea of pressure up the middle.

I don't know what it is, but I feel like edge rushing pressure used to be a lot more effective in the NFL. So many great DE's and LB's were outside speed rushers. Maybe O's used to use more 7-step drops and such.

When I watch games these days I find it pretty remarkable how ineffective edge rushers are.
    If Coples would have come out early at NC he would have been a top 5 pick. That year at DT he was an aminal. He stayed and the next season he was moved to DE. He had an avg year and his stock dropped.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    why get rid of david harris?

WTF..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Coples would have come out early at NC he would have been a top 5 pick. That year at DT he was an aminal. He stayed and the next season he was moved to DE. He had an avg year and his stock dropped.
    Interesting. I was unaware he made that move.

One thing I noticed when I was watching the Colts tape is how much more confidently Coples seemed to play on the inside. It reminded me of a so-called North-South RB who doesn't like to go side-to-side. I'm not saying he won't pan out at DE, but he looked more natural at DT.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post

WTF..
    Cause he's been playing like garbage for the last two seasons. I don't think it would happen, but really I am not convinced he'd be a fit anywhere in a 4-3. Maybe the SAM position.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the record I think a 3-4 front might be better if only because I don't know how Ellis/Coples/Wilk could hit the field at the same time in a 4-3 unless Coples can manage playing the edge. Make David Harris take on the TED role that Scott originally had and play Davis at the Mike. Gotta draft an edge rusher or two.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

WTF..
    He either lost his speed, or just is very slow. Coverage liability that makes somthing like 12m next year.

Lb is very easy to find in the draft and cheap.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm cool with any combo of Kendrick Ellis, mo, and coples in a 4-3 front.

The basic point is these are the guys I want to get one on ones. These are not the guys to plug gaps while the slow lb's attempt to get to the qb. These will be our best players on defense next year depending on revis's comeback. The defense should be built around them

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Coples is more of a DT than Wilkerson. I think they can both go either way, depending on the personnel we have.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Cause he's been playing like garbage for the last two seasons. I don't think it would happen, but really I am not convinced he'd be a fit anywhere in a 4-3. Maybe the SAM position.
    Last season was probably Harris' best ever with all the INTs and Sacks.

I agree, he doesn't really fit well anywhere in a 4-3.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Harris was cut next year the jets would have to eat $13mil and 9 of it would still count against the cap. That ain't happening.

WTF was Tanny thinking with this contract???

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

WTF..
    Harris will likely be extend next year in reality. Where as he is a 4 mil cut he is well worth that. His 13 mil cap number does need to come down. I can see a 2-3 year extension if he takes a 5 mil cap cut. Add anther 2 years at 7 mil with half that guaranteed. That way he he gets at least one more year paid and we don't have to replace him and 22 other players next year. Even in a 4-3 he'd be more productive then some scrub even if it is at OLB. Looking at our cap hits next year he is really the only one in good position for a rework in our favor.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The move to 4-3 makes sense from both a personnel and fiscal standpoint, noting the enormous contracts (Pace, Scott etc) that should be off the books next year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Harris will likely be extend next year in reality. That way he he gets at least one more year paid and we don't have to replace him and 22 other players next year.
    This is a very sound idea. Harris may have lost a step or some focus, but he's still a smart football player. Especially if we have a lot of young guns, we need someone to really help teach what has become an extremely dynamic position in present-day football.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as switching to a 4-3 I have always been a 4-3 guy so would be all for it. I can't say it would be a great move though as we have had a lot of success in our current formation. The writing is kinda on the wall though. Pauha will likely be cut and really out side of Harris we do 4-3 talent oriented right now. If we resign Landry I'd be all for it if not I may have to say pass. Also if we can't resign Revis CB also because a concern as Cro is nearing the end of his deal as well. I'd like to keep him threw 2014 but not sure I'd extend him really. Wilson I'd extend right now while his value is still low. He is not a bad talent and is still young. It is not like it would take more then 3-4 mil a year to keep him right now. That is good #3 money and at worst that is what he is. At best he can still be a pro bowl talent IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the end we have always been a hybrid defense, even though our base has been the 3-4. That doesn't mean though that Rex looks for versatile players to change fronts depending on the situations and the opponent.

I think the way to go wouldnt be to completely change the base defense but rather adjust the personnel with which we are running the 3-4. Right now our main problem is the lack of speed and athletisism but we already got some players waiting in the wings who would solve that problem. Coples, Ellis and Wilkerson would be one of the most athletic, versatile and young defensive line in the league and we all drafted them highly enough to think that the plan was to start everyone of them. David Harris is still a premier LB even though he is currently struggling a bit. Pair him with Davis on the inside and all of a sudden we take a huge step forward. Pace and BT have to be replaced, there is no question about it.