Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 48

Thread: So, now what? -- Yankees 2013 roster

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like

    So, now what? -- Yankees 2013 roster

    Who stays who goes?

    Swisher is done here. I don't see any way they bring him back.

    I think they have to find a way to get Nunez more ABs. He's not a very strong defensive IF... should they move him to LF or RF or just keep working with him and see if he can improve at SS or 3B?

    Can Ichiro and Gardner both be regular players? I think so.

    Any other thoughts?

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    This team is not going to change that much this year.

    Swisher and Jones are the only locks to be gone. Everyone else depends on price. Soriano is likely to opt out and there will be a market for him.

    I think the Yanks will re-sign our at least want to re-sign Andy, Kuroda, Ichiro, Ibanez and Martin. Depends on if they want to retire or if they get better deals somewhere else.

    I do not think A-Rod is getting traded. And I think Grandy's option is getting picked up. They will trade for a big OF within the next 12 months. Grandy will get traded at the deadline or 2013 will be his last year.

    Crazy to think how close they were to drafting Mike Trout
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 10-19-2012 at 01:52 PM.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    This team is not going to change that much this year.

    Swisher and Jones are the only locks to be gone. Everyone else depends on price. Soriano is likely to opt out and there will be a market for him.

    I think the Yanks will re-sign our at least want to re-sign Andy, Kuroda, Ichiro, Ibanez and Martin. Depends on if they want to retire or if they get better deals somewhere else.

    I do not think A-Rod is getting traded. And I think Grandy's option is getting picked up. They will trade for a big OF within the next 12 months. Grandy will get traded at the deadline or 2013 will be his last year.

    Crazy to think how close they were to drafting Mike Trout
    Please don't even go there.

    Last night's wounds are still open.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,837
    Post Thanks / Like
    ichiro, gardner, FA pickup in OF or maybe Nunez

    same infield and catcher

    same rotation

    Soriano gone, Mo back

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    ichiro, gardner, FA pickup in OF or maybe Nunez

    same infield and catcher

    same rotation

    Soriano gone, Mo back
    Think they would consider moving Nunez to OF? I love his bat and think he can be one of the better hitters on the team if he keeps improving.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if I like Ichiro as an everyday player. i'd hate for the Yankees to be seduced by 2 months of production and then sign a 40 year old OF.

    Nunez has pretty poor lefty/righty splits. I'd like to see that improve before he gets an everyday spot as well.

    Free Agents I like are Bourn and Napoli. I think Martin probably comes back. I think Soriano goes, but he is replaceable.

    I'd love a trade for an OF. I'd like to stay away from Hamilton and BJ Upton.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    I don't know if I like Ichiro as an everyday player. i'd hate for the Yankees to be seduced by 2 months of production and then sign a 40 year old OF.

    Nunez has pretty poor lefty/righty splits. I'd like to see that improve before he gets an everyday spot as well.

    Free Agents I like are Bourn and Napoli. I think Martin probably comes back. I think Soriano goes, but he is replaceable.

    I'd love a trade for an OF. I'd like to stay away from Hamilton and BJ Upton.
    I'm not so sure those two months are a fluke though. Ichiro was rejuvinated as a member of a contender. He's still in good shape physically and mentally, I see no reason to think he can't repeat his 2012 numbers -- .280 hitter, 25-30 steals. He can have 10-15 HR in YS, too.

    He's not 2009 Ichiro, but he's a quality all-around player who could help this team IMO.

    I also want no part of Hamilton or Upton. Bourn is not really a guy I'm high on. Is he that much better than Gardner?

    What other OF might be available in a trade? Anyone coming up to the end of their contract that a team might want to dump?

  8. #8
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Justin Upton on Arizona would be an incredible fit for RF. He's been in trade rumors on and off for a while now. Depending on what they can do, I would have no problem rejecting Granderson's option and playing Gardner in CF. Having an A+ defensive CF, and a guy who can steal 50 bases would be an incredible plus for this team.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I'm not so sure those two months are a fluke though. Ichiro was rejuvinated as a member of a contender. He's still in good shape physically and mentally, I see no reason to think he can't repeat his 2012 numbers -- .280 hitter, 25-30 steals. He can have 10-15 HR in YS, too.

    He's not 2009 Ichiro, but he's a quality all-around player who could help this team IMO.

    I also want no part of Hamilton or Upton. Bourn is not really a guy I'm high on. Is he that much better than Gardner?

    What other OF might be available in a trade? Anyone coming up to the end of their contract that a team might want to dump?
    that is also part of what bother me with Ichiro. There have been rumors of how he is a bit selfish as a player, do I really want a guy, at 40, who may or may not be motivated always, on the team? I don't know. What happens when he isn't an everyday player? Does he still have motivation even though he may not play everyday?


    I like Bourn and Gardner. I like how Bourn plays the game, and I think he can hit good pitching and make productive outs, which Swisher couldn't.

    I'm not sold on gardner as an everyday player, but I wouldn't be upset with a Ichiro/Gardner/Bourn OF....or a J Upton/Gardner/Bourn OF. I think the Yanks want more power than that, but I would like the speed and the corners would give you about 20 each.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    that is also part of what bother me with Ichiro. There have been rumors of how he is a bit selfish as a player, do I really want a guy, at 40, who may or may not be motivated always, on the team? I don't know. What happens when he isn't an everyday player? Does he still have motivation even though he may not play everyday?


    I like Bourn and Gardner. I like how Bourn plays the game, and I think he can hit good pitching and make productive outs, which Swisher couldn't.

    I'm not sold on gardner as an everyday player, but I wouldn't be upset with a Ichiro/Gardner/Bourn OF....or a J Upton/Gardner/Bourn OF. I think the Yanks want more power than that, but I would like the speed and the corners would give you about 20 each.
    I don't think he was selfish I just think he was tired of playing for a terrible team with no chance at the playoffs. It has to be difficult to motivate yourself to play hard for a shtty team a age 39. He has not been selfish herr and seems to really enjoy NYC and his teammates.

    There is plenty of gas in that tank.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In transit
    Posts
    6,060
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    I don't know if I like Ichiro as an everyday player. i'd hate for the Yankees to be seduced by 2 months of production and then sign a 40 year old OF.

    Nunez has pretty poor lefty/righty splits. I'd like to see that improve before he gets an everyday spot as well.

    Free Agents I like are Bourn and Napoli. I think Martin probably comes back. I think Soriano goes, but he is replaceable.

    I'd love a trade for an OF. I'd like to stay away from Hamilton and BJ Upton.
    Nunez-Ichiro split in the outfield. Gardner-Ichiro-Granderson = great defensive OF with speed. I like Nunez alot, and I think he could be a decent to good corner OF, with some speed and some pop.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Nunez-Ichiro split in the outfield. Gardner-Ichiro-Granderson = great defensive OF with speed. I like Nunez alot, and I think he could be a decent to good corner OF, with some speed and some pop.
    If Nunez can play in the OF. Not all guys can do that. Soriano comes to mind. Victor Cruz.

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    how about a trade of Nunez for Shin Shoo Choo...that guy is a free agent after next season.

    I think Choo would do well at Yankee Stadium and does a little bit of everything well.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    how about a trade of Nunez for Shin Shoo Choo...that guy is a free agent after next season.

    I think Choo would do well at Yankee Stadium and does a little bit of everything well.
    Lets trade a guy who spent the entire season in AAA for one of the best RFer in baseball.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    how about a trade of Nunez for Shin Shoo Choo...that guy is a free agent after next season.

    I think Choo would do well at Yankee Stadium and does a little bit of everything well.
    Choo wouldn't be a bad pickup at all, and you're right about him fitting into YS. Doubt they take Nunez for Choo...

    Also, not sure if I'm willing to dump Nunez yet. I really think he has a shot at being great if he can improve against RHP.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,680
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Grandy is a lock to come back. In Yankee dollars he is cheap and they can always trade him at the deadline. I think he will have a good year in his contract year.

    I can see Martin getting a 2yr deal as a stop gap until Sanchez is ready.

    I am not worried about the bats. The Yanks can always find a bat. The most important thing is that the young pitchers continue to develop. Nova had the sophomore slump. Pineda is coming off an injury and the Killer Bs hit a plateau. It is also time for Hughes to step up, he is a veteran now. As long as the pitching is good the Yanks will always be in the playoffs b.c they can buy bats and bullpen.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 21st Amendment View Post
    Lets trade a guy who spent the entire season in AAA for one of the best RFer in baseball.

    You mean like Ricky Ledee for David Justice?


    I'm basing it solely on cash. If Shoo is a FA after next season we could probably put a package together.

    I wouldn't call him one of the best, but very good. You can't give up too much for a one year rental. But at least hope for a mid year swap.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cashman already said today they are picking up Granderson's $13 million option.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 21st Amendment View Post
    Cashman already said today they are picking up Granderson's $13 million option.
    I think they have to. You can't replace 40 homers cheaper than that

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    King Felix and Verlander for the pitching staff

    Pujols, Trout and Miguel Cabrera for the batting lineup

    no problem in the salary cap free land of Selig Ball

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us