Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So, now what? -- Yankees 2013 roster

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    King Felix and Verlander for the pitching staff

Pujols, Trout and Miguel Cabrera for the batting lineup

no problem in the salary cap free land of Selig Ball
    The new luxury tax is highly punitive. There is basically a salary cap of $189MM now.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The new luxury tax is highly punitive. There is basically a salary cap of $189MM now.
    That is really a lot for a baseball team but heard much more at times.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Who stays who goes?

Swisher is done here. I don't see any way they bring him back.

I think they have to find a way to get Nunez more ABs. He's not a very strong defensive IF... should they move him to LF or RF or just keep working with him and see if he can improve at SS or 3B?

Can Ichiro and Gardner both be regular players? I think so.

Any other thoughts?
    I remember when Joe 1st came here. We where all like time for a rebuild. How many years has it been and it is pretty much the same old team. Personally I'd start by finding a better manager.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I remember when Joe 1st came here. We where all like time for a rebuild. How many years has it been and it is pretty much the same old team. Personally I'd start by finding a better manager.
    The manager didn't hit .188 in the playoffs after leading the league in several offensive categories.

Players deserve the blame.

Idk how realistic this offseason plan is, but its just something I would like to see.

For one I definitely wouldn't bring back Swisher, he cannot hit in the playoffs and its time to move on, plus he probably wants too much.

I would definitely pick up Granderson's option, maybe explore trading him but I would probably bring him back and hope to fix his strikeout problem this season and get back to 2011.

I would try to trade A-Rod, I think its time to just move on. It was a awful contract and its something the Yankees are just going to have to eat. Maybe they can get someone to pay 10-15% of it, while the Yankees pay 85-90% of it.

I would try trading for Chase Headley, I wanted to trade for him before he really broke out. 28 years old, 31 HRs as a Padre, .376 OBP. Switch hitter who rakes as a LHB and smashed RHP last season. I would use Brett Gardner as trade bait.

In FA I would sign BJ Upton, lots of talent as a all around player, brings speed and defense, along with some power. Move Granderson to LF and have Upton at CF.

Then I would re-sign Ichiro to play RF next season, shouldn't cost much. I wouldn't feel comfortable having Gardner and Ichiro as corner OFers, but with Upton signed, we have some power so can afford less with Ichiro and his bat is good for YS.

I would want to get a better catcher than Martin, his bat is really bad. I'd take a look at A.J. Pierzynski. I wouldn't overpay, hes 35 years old but hes a upgrade as a hitter and hes a LHB.

Re-sign Kuroda and Pettitte, if they want to come back. Both showed they are still effective. Oh and I wouldn't be against trading Phil Hughes while he has trade value, in case he falls again.

I would not give Soriano a multi-year deal, qualifying offer at best. He'll get 1 year $16 mil from us.

Lineup

C-AJ Pierzynski L
    1B-Mark Teixeira S
    2B-Robinson Cano L
    SS-Derek Jeter R
    3B-Chase Headley S
    LF-Curtis Granderson L
    CF-BJ Upton R
    RF-Ichiro Suzuki L

If we can't trade A-Rod, I would DH him.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Idk how realistic this offseason plan is, but its just something I would like to see.

For one I definitely wouldn't bring back Swisher, he cannot hit in the playoffs and its time to move on, plus he probably wants too much.

I would definitely pick up Granderson's option, maybe explore trading him but I would probably bring him back and hope to fix his strikeout problem this season and get back to 2011.

I would try to trade A-Rod, I think its time to just move on. It was a awful contract and its something the Yankees are just going to have to eat. Maybe they can get someone to pay 10-15% of it, while the Yankees pay 85-90% of it.

I would try trading for Chase Headley, I wanted to trade for him before he really broke out. 28 years old, 31 HRs as a Padre, .376 OBP. Switch hitter who rakes as a LHB and smashed RHP last season. I would use Brett Gardner as trade bait.

In FA I would sign BJ Upton, lots of talent as a all around player, brings speed and defense, along with some power. Move Granderson to LF and have Upton at CF.

Then I would re-sign Ichiro to play RF next season, shouldn't cost much. I wouldn't feel comfortable having Gardner and Ichiro as corner OFers, but with Upton signed, we have some power so can afford less with Ichiro and his bat is good for YS.

I would want to get a better catcher than Martin, his bat is really bad. I'd take a look at A.J. Pierzynski. I wouldn't overpay, hes 35 years old but hes a upgrade as a hitter and hes a LHB.

Re-sign Kuroda and Pettitte, if they want to come back. Both showed they are still effective. Oh and I wouldn't be against trading Phil Hughes while he has trade value, in case he falls again.

I would not give Soriano a multi-year deal, qualifying offer at best. He'll get 1 year $16 mil from us.

Lineup

C-AJ Pierzynski L
    1B-Mark Teixeira S
    2B-Robinson Cano L
    SS-Derek Jeter R
    3B-Chase Headley S
    LF-Curtis Granderson L
    CF-BJ Upton R
    RF-Ichiro Suzuki L

If we can't trade A-Rod, I would DH him.
    ARod is a better fielder than Headley.

Quote Originally Posted by adb280z View Post
    ARod is a better fielder than Headley.
    Not according to fangraphs. And A-Rod is 37 while Headly is 28.. A-Rod can't stay healthy anymore, so if we have to keep him, I rather him be placed as a DH.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post

Can Ichiro and Gardner both be regular players? I think so.
    Absolutely they can. As a matter of fact, if the Yankees plan on being anything other than a 1st round exit next year or worse they need to get back to manufacturing runs on offense with those players.

I'd resign Ichiro and not exercise the option on neither Swisher nor Granderson. To me, those two represent exactly why Cashman has set up this team to fail in the playoffs. Swish and Grandy are nice regular season fantasy players who hit HRs off mediocre pitching and then they are MIA in the playoffs when you face top tier starters.

Move Arod to DH. Not getting anything goo in return for Arod anyway. Move Jeter to 3B and maybe try to get Jose Reyes from Miami in a salary dump.

Trade for Cliff Lee in a salary dump from the Reds. That takes some pressure off CC who has been great but I am concerned he's breaking down. Go with a rotation of Lee, CC, Hughes, Nova and Pineda/Phelps.

Resign Soriano and bring back Mo.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 10-23-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Not according to fangraphs. And A-Rod is 37 while Headly is 28.. A-Rod can't stay healthy anymore, so if we have to keep him, I rather him be placed as a DH.
    Yankees only real option is to keep Arod. What's the alternative? No one wants a $100 million big name has-been power hitter and last I checked Steve Philips was no longer an MLB GM.

All this nonsense about Arod to Miami for Heath Bell and money. Yanks would have to eat at least $60 mil of his contract plus take on Bell who is owed another $20 mil so that's $80 mil essentially the Yankees are paying for Heath Bell and btw that money still counts toward the luxury tax.

I think they should heavily look into trading for Choo. There is little chanc th Indians can resign him and I think h can be had for a MLB ready player.

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    I think they should heavily look into trading for Choo. There is little chanc th Indians can resign him and I think h can be had for a MLB ready player.
    I would be a huge supporter of replacing Swisher with Choo. Also would look into trading for Justin Upton, and deal Granderson.
    Last edited by 21st Amendment; 10-24-2012 at 01:15 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Absolutely they can. As a matter of fact, if the Yankees plan on being anything other than a 1st round exit next year or worse they need to get back to manufacturing runs on offense with those players.

I'd resign Ichiro and not exercise the option on neither Swisher nor Granderson. To me, those two represent exactly why Cashman has set up this team to fail in the playoffs. Swish and Grandy are nice regular season fantasy players who hit HRs off mediocre pitching and then they are MIA in the playoffs when you face top tier starters.

Move Arod to DH. Not getting anything goo in return for Arod anyway. Move Jeter to 3B and maybe try to get Jose Reyes from Miami in a salary dump.

Trade for Cliff Lee in a salary dump from the Reds. That takes some pressure off CC who has been great but I am concerned he's breaking down. Go with a rotation of Lee, CC, Hughes, Nova and Pineda/Phelps.

Resign Soriano and bring back Mo.

Lee plays for the Phillies and they probably aren't trading him.

Where is all of the money from "salary dump" players coming from? The Yankees have stated over and over again that they're looking to set a $189-million payroll.

But I do agree with you on Ichiro/Gardner.

I also think the idea of moving Jeter to 3rd is interesting, but can/would he make that move? Is he a good fit there? I'm not sure if he has enough arm.

I also think that the Yankees should kick the tire on Dan Haren. He could slide nicely into that rotation, and despite a down year showed great control and could be had cheaply.

Add hopefully bringing back Andy and Kuroda and the rotation is pretty decent.

CC
    Andy
    Kuroda
    Haren
    Hughes/Nova/Phelps/etc

everyone is making it sound like the Angels don't want to pick up the 15.5 mil option and pay Grienke.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Jonathon Niese

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    +1

Love Choo.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I believe in 2014 it's $3 tax for every $1 over the $189M threshold...as opposed the $1 to $1 threshold today...

Report: Joe Girardi made call to press box to protect Alex Rodriguez' feelings

The report was confirmed in Heyman's story by Yankee general manager Brian Cashman, who said Girardi was trying to protect Rodruguez' feelings.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...l#incart_river

For the GM to confirm this it's pretty obvious the Yankees FO are trying to embarrass ARod to the point where he says, "get me out of here"..
    Pull up a chair and watch the show the next 4 months...

Tender the offer to Soriano. Don't tender Swisher.

All Pro
    Tender the offer to Soriano. Don't tender Swisher.
    I think they will offer Soriano the $13-million... but I'd be shocked if they signed him to a long-term deal. I'd also not be very happy about it.

There's no way they extend any offer to Swisher. He's long gone.

+1

Love Choo.
    God damn it stop stealing the Indians personnel! Seriously this is the best we have been in ten years at least. If we start trading away players this off season I'll cry I swear. If we give up Choo it better be for a paid for Tex and Hughes. I am a Yankee fan by birth but f I want to see the Indians win just one friggen WS in my life.