Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: is Chandler Jones the one who got away ? ? ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    tom brady has to be the " Best 6th round draft pick of ALL time "

cheers ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quinton Coples wanted to spend the bye week at home in Kinston, N.C., resting his body and changing his mind-set, transitioning from the first half of his first NFL season into another phase.But in his free time, the Jets rookie defensive end couldn’t help watching a few cut-aways of his first eight games loaded on his iPad.He found himself moving his body along with the film and trying to understand why, on certain plays, he didn’t end up with sacks.Coples realized there has been some tendencies, ones he plans on working through with defensive line coach Karl Dunbar. But he also realized how far he has distanced himself from a sputtered start to his rookie year.“The playbook is not an issue anymore,” he said Monday. “It’s all about going out and getting it.” Through half a season, Coples played in 296 snaps, or 53 percent of the total defensive plays.There were the highs, like Week 7 against New England when Coples was in on 90 percent of the snaps, and the lows, like Week 2 and Week 3, where he played in less than a quarter of the defensive snaps.

Coples has been praised and criticized by coach Rex Ryan. Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine has called him out publicly and said he wants more, mentally and physically, from the first-round pick.Though he has not had any definitive conversations with Pettine or Ryan since returning from the break, Coples understands what those demands are. He needs to cause more pressure in the backfield.“He hasn’t sat down and told me personally, but it’s just being more productive at getting to the quarterback,” Coples said. “So that’s what I’m gonna do.”Coples said he didn’t take any issue to the rigid dips and peaks he saw in his playing time over the first half of the season, but thinks things have changed for the better since the victory over Indianapolis in Week 6, where he logged his first two sacks.It was then, he said, when learning the playbook stopped being an issue altogether.Pettine had said in the past he scaled back some of the defense while Coples got up to speed.“As far as expectations, I expect to be productive and help the team,” Coples said of the second half. “As far as playing time, they’re more in control of that. I think Indy was a good breakout point for me as far as being comfortable.” He did not want to burn out by spinning through the tape of the 30-9 loss to Miami on Oct. 28, like a few of his teammates planned to during the bye, wondering why the defense has struggled to put pressure on the quarterback. The Jets are 29th in the NFL as a unit, with 12 sacks this season. Coples focused instead on changing things in the second half, armed with the confidence in knowing the playbook and expecting the feel of the game to come to him.

“I just want to make sure that I get off faster, get to the quarterback and show relentless effort. I’m getting there, but basically I just want to get to the quarterback so I can help the defensive backs.“I think things went well from an individual standpoint. I think I did pretty well despite some circumstances, but overall I still have a lot of improving to do.”

Conor Orr: corr@starledger.com

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...xpecting.html#

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post

I hope Chandler was nice to people on his way up. Chandler's a girl.
    "Girls" do not become NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Another draft whiff by the Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    "Girls" do not become NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Another draft whiff by the Jets.
    Penned in halfway through the season, eh?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Penned in halfway through the season, eh?
    Just going by what the national media is saying.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...fensive-rookie

According to Pro Football Focus, a football analytics site that grades players on every play of every game, Jones' production through the first six weeks ranks him in the upper tier of pass rushers.
    Over 210 pass-rushing snaps, Jones has five sacks, six quarterback hits and 15 hurries, good for 26 total pressure plays. He had the best game of his NFL career on Sunday in Seattle, tallying two sacks, one quarterback hit, two hurries and two stops (tackles that constitute a negative play for the offense).
    In terms of 4-3 defensive ends, Jones has graded out as the fifth-best player at the position.

Jones has been the complete package as a rookie defensive end.
    Kevin Hoffman-US PRESSWIRE

The only names ahead of him on the report card are Cameron Wake, Chris Clemons, John Abraham and Chris Long, each an established NFL pass-rusher. Among those below Jones are Jason Pierre-Paul, Jared Allen, Trent Cole, Jason Babin and fellow rookie Bruce Irvin.
    Jones has successfully placed himself into a worthy group of names.
    The candidates to challenge Jones the title of best defensive rookie have been almost nonexistent.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post

According to Pro Football Focus, a football analytics site that grades players on every play of every game, Jones' production through the first six weeks ranks him in the upper tier of pass rushers.
    Over 210 pass-rushing snaps, Jones has five sacks, six quarterback hits and 15 hurries, good for 26 total pressure plays. He had the best game of his NFL career on Sunday in Seattle, tallying two sacks, one quarterback hit, two hurries and two stops (tackles that constitute a negative play for the offense).
    In terms of 4-3 defensive ends, Jones has graded out as the fifth-best player at the position.

The only names ahead of him on the report card are Cameron Wake, Chris Clemons, John Abraham and Chris Long, each an established NFL pass-rusher. Among those below Jones are Jason Pierre-Paul, Jared Allen, Trent Cole, Jason Babin and fellow rookie Bruce Irvin.
    The candidates to challenge Jones the title of best defensive rookie have been almost nonexistent.
    This is such a crock of CRAP.
    It MATTERS what the score is. The Pats are almost always playing with double digit leads which means stopping the run is SECONDARY. I'd love to see a breakdown of when he got his sacks ect. /Score/opponent. If he gets 3 sacks in the 2nd half vs Fitzpatrick while up 25 points is that REALLY a "stat" that is equal to all other players "stats".
    I didn't see much of him in the Jets/Pats 2nd half when Sanchez went 16/19 with 2 dropped passes & 190 yards? Hell even the sack to end the game was a blitzing Nincompoop.
    I'm not saying that Jones won't be a good player but to even hint that Jason Pierre Paul is somehow "behind" Jones, proves that stats lie.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post

Most impressive is that many 'experts' considered him a project pick who would need a couple of years build his technique and physique to get up to potential. He could be scary good in a year or two.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    It MATTERS what the score is. The Pats are almost always playing with double digit leads which means stopping the run is SECONDARY. I'd love to see a breakdown of when he got his sacks ect. /Score/opponent. If he gets 3 sacks in the 2nd half vs Fitzpatrick while up 25 points is that REALLY a "stat" that is equal to all other players "stats".
    I didn't see much of him in the Jets/Pats 2nd half when Sanchez went 16/19 with 2 dropped passes & 190 yards? Hell even the sack to end the game was a blitzing Nincompoop.
    I'm not saying that Jones won't be a good player but to even hint that Jason Pierre Paul is somehow "behind" Jones, proves that stats lie.
    4 of Jones 5 sacks have occured in the 1st half of games.

In a close game against the Titans, he sacked the QB and forced a fumble that Hightower scooped up for a TD. That play totally changed the game.

Jones is the real deal and will be for years to come.

Don't be pissed your team drafted the wrong player.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate stats in football for comparison purposes, just watch the damm game. This is not baseball where it is a one on one game unless your turning a double play.

I remember stat line rankings showing that Brady and Manning were not in the top 25% of NFL QB

I have been watching football for 45 years and I still can't read when the corner lets the receiver go to the safety who blew the coverage. And these stat geeks who don't know what oline scheme was called blame the LT for an inside stunt on the DE and the line call may have assigned that gap to the Guard. Backers are assigned different gaps based on where the DT is supposed to go. The OT lines up wide and he takes the inside, the olb gap changes, if the RB ends runs to the new gap, they blame the OLB.

Somebody probably has a formula showing the patriots def backfield is a top ten unit.
    Last edited by patman; 11-08-2012 at 10:25 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    4 of Jones 5 sacks have occured in the 1st half of games.

In a close game against the Titans, he sacked the QB and forced a fumble that Hightower scooped up for a TD. That play totally changed the game.

Jones is the real deal and will be for years to come.

Don't be pissed your team drafted the wrong player.
    Seriously? your bringing up the Titans?
    The team the Bears defense just ripped to schreds with 6 TOs in the 1st half?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I hate stats in football for comparison purposes, just watch the damm game. This is not baseball where it is a one on one game unless your turning a double play.

I remember stat line rankings showing that Brady and Manning were not in the top 25% of NFL QB

I have been watching football for 45 years and I still can't read when the corner lets the receiver go to the safety who blew the coverage. And these stat geeks who don't know what oline scheme was called blame the LT for an inside stunt on the DE and the line call may have assigned that gap to the Guard. Backers are assigned different gaps based on where the DT is supposed to go. The OT lines up wide and he takes the inside, the olb gap changes, if the RB ends runs to the new gap, they blame the OLB.

Somebody probably has a formula showing the patriots def backfield is a top ten unit.
    Glad you agree. Like I said, I think Jones will be a good football player but do you think he's ripping it up if he's playing on KC & they are down 20-0?
    Football is a symbiotic sport, if people don't think having VINCE WILFORK (a top 3 player) next to him doesn't free him up slightly than as they say, your not watching.
    Do you think Coples would be more productive playing side by side with Wilfork?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously? your bringing up the Titans?
    The team the Bears defense just ripped to schreds with 6 TOs in the 1st half?
    That was just one example to refute your flawed arguement that Jones only makes plays in garbage time when the Pats are sitting on a big lead.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you agree. Like I said, I think Jones will be a good football player but do you think he's ripping it up if he's playing on KC & they are down 20-0?
    Football is a symbiotic sport, if people don't think having VINCE WILFORK (a top 3 player) next to him doesn't free him up slightly than as they say, your not watching.
    Do you think Coples would be more productive playing side by side with Wilfork?
    Yes, Coples would be more effective playing next to an all pro. But beyond that we don't know what the players are asked to do each play. Sometimes Coples lines up a a 5 tech DE in a 3-4 and other times a 3 tech UT and a 4-3 DE. He is not going to have the same stats in a 3-4 as he will in a 4-3, he has different responsibilities.

But what you do see in jJnes is a 6-5 inch DE with a PF's wingspan that can bend when pass rushing. When you see that on TV, It jumps out. As far as his effort goes no matter what team he is on, I have no idea. He showed enough effort on a bad college team to still get noticed is all i can gather.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples can play Tackle and DE, both standing up and down.

Jones is an edge guy. He can't play tackle.

Pouha's been out, Wilfork hasn't. Both have done well considering the circumstances. It's also worth noting that the Jets Defense is on the field the majority of their games.

Truthfully, I like Hightower better than either, and think he was severely undervalued. I liked him going into the draft and was hoping Rex would grab him. But Coples is nice. Coples was the best DE on the board after Irvin on most boards. Even though I had no idea who Irvin was.

He'll be better than Mayo in a year or two, who is probably the best LB in the AFC East.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR -- Chandler Jones, DE, New England: The former Syracuse star has provided instant impact to a Patriots defense starved for playmakers. His six sacks, three forced fumbles and 33 tackles in eight games put him in the pole position for the top defensive rookie honor at the season's mid-point.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...-report/1.html

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jones is stll raw, as is Coples.

Patriot fans are pleasantly surprized at his production so early in his career. BB must have liked what he saw early on to start him so soon.

He needs to put on more muscle and weight. He has the frame to handle it. Guy will be a beast in a year or two based on what he's doing so far in his career.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously????

Tanny is the worst player evaluater in the entire NFL.

Just look at the Jets last 3 drafts.
    Was there a poll that asked about the worst evaluater's in the game?

where do you pull these so called facts from?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Was there a poll that asked about the worst evaluater's in the game?

where do you pull these so called facts from?
    Out of the thin air.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Out of the thin air.
    Then please use proper citations next time.