Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impressed withthe defense today

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Impressed withthe defense today

The new-and-improved safeties made a big difference in countering the Patriots TE-oriented passing attack. Bell, in particular, was great in coverage. Having Demario Davis' speed on the field helped a lot too. The Patriots high octane offense was merely good today, not great.

Kudos to Rex and Tanny for a good countermove in building a defense that can stop the Pats' offense.

Meanwhile, Mark Sanchez has cemented himself as a Jekyl and Hyde QB: The talent to put the team on his back with great throws, yet lacking smarts with the football when things are going wrong. Baffling.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree... Everyone said the sky was falling when revis went down... The defense, especially the secondary, played damn good.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    The new-and-improved safeties made a big difference in countering the Patriots TE-oriented passing attack. Bell, in particular, was great in coverage. Having Demario Davis' speed on the field helped a lot too. The Patriots high octane offense was merely good today, not great.

Kudos to Rex and Tanny for a good countermove in building a defense that can stop the Pats' offense.

Meanwhile, Mark Sanchez has cemented himself as a Jekyl and Hyde QB: The talent to put the team on his back with great throws, yet lacking smarts with the football when things are going wrong. Baffling.
    Not for nothing, but the defense played the same type of game as Sanchez did. Good at times and bad at times. They had an opportunity to end the game and let Brady march down the field and tie it up. You can point to plays that Sanchez missed as well, but he also made enough plays to give his team the lead. The whole team played like Jekyl and Hyde today. Offense, defense, special teams and coaching staff.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    really where were they in the 4th quarter in and ot?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    really where were they in the 4th quarter in and ot?
    playing prevent like Rex drew up.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    They played the plays that were called.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Impressed with the defense until crunch time---no pressure all day, and no pressure during crunch time. The two number ones are a waste.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still would've liked to see a more consistent pass rush, hopefully Coples and Mo Wilkerson can bring that with more time together.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still trying to figure out what they actually did to Brady to confuse him the way they did?

The book on beating Brady has always been in the blitz. Blitz the living sh*t out of him. Knock him on his a$$ early and often and he'll eventually start to crack. He'll get inaccurate with the football. He'll start to make some ill advised throws.

Well, that isn't what the Jets defense did today. In fact, I didn't think they blitzed much at all. They hardly laid a finger on Brady all day long. Yet, Brady was pretty bad today. A lot of his throws looked like Sanchez passes, they were so inaccurate.

So what gives? What exectly did they do? because right now, it appears that the Jets CS may have found yet another way to beat Brady. A way that doesn't involve getting sacks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what they actually did to Brady to confuse him the way they did?

The book on beating Brady has always been in the blitz. Blitz the living sh*t out of him. Knock him on his a$$ early and often and he'll eventually start to crack. He'll get inaccurate with the football. He'll start to make some ill advised throws.

Well, that isn't what the Jets defense did today. In fact, I didn't think they blitzed much at all. They hardly laid a finger on Brady all day long. Yet, Brady was pretty bad today. A lot of his throws looked like Sanchez passes, they were so inaccurate.

So what gives? What exectly did they do? because right now, it appears that the Jets CS may have found yet another way to beat Brady. A way that doesn't involve getting sacks.
    LOL...who did the defense beat today?? They were handed a lead and blew it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL...who did the defense beat today?? They were handed a lead and blew it.
    Where did I say the defense beat someone today? Can you find it and point it out for me, please?

All I said was they confused Brady today and Brady played like sh*t. Do you have problems with reading comprehension?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

how many times did they stop brady?

should have never came down to D, they had game won

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Defense play a hell of a game, the biggest mistake was going to the prevent bull crap at the end. We should have went after Brady on that final drive and played to win.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    Defense play a hell of a game, the biggest mistake was going to the prevent bull crap at the end. We should have went after Brady on that final drive and played to win.
    Word. When will the Jets have some balls and play to win throughout the game and all over the field. They had their way ramming the ball down the Patriot's throats until they get to the goal line then they tuck tail and thrwo speculative passes while whimpering. F'n fraud game after all the tough talk. In pole position but too scared to back it up. It's this type of incompetent game management that gives the SOJF's ammo.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by surviveone View Post
    I agree... Everyone said the sky was falling when revis went down... The defense, especially the secondary, played damn good.
    Not everyone.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah man the defense was great...especially when they lost the damn game by letting Brady go 50 yards in 60 GD seconds and then in OT when they let Brady march right down the field and score again.

Yeah great defense for 58:30, too bad they didn't keep playing great for 60:00...

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think rex has figured out the pats offense...still wondering why he turtled up on that last drive in regulation though...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    They're so good on first and second down. Third down I'm reaching for the TUMS.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leonwashington2 View Post
    i think rex has figured out the pats offense...still wondering why he turtled up on that last drive in regulation though...
    It's what Rex does he goes into puss mode and the defense gives the damn game away. It's becoming a trend with Rex

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think there were two keys yesterday to the defense atleast holding Brady in check.

The first was that we finally had speedy athletes to cover underneath routes. Landry, Bell and Davis were such an upgrade over Eric Smith, Bart Scott and Jim Leonard, it's crazy. Trufant played on hell of a game as he could really react in the short area against Welker who only did some damage with a few screens. Brady gets anxious when you take away the initial dink and dunk routes and we did that. Whenever he went down the field, he was inaccurate.

The second key was the Pats could never get into a rythmn because their no huddle was rendered ineffective as the Jets almost never substituted. Wilkerson and Coples are good both against the run and the pass, so Brady could never catch us in the wrong personnel.