Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guess who we don't miss?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Guess who we don't miss?

Yes I'm going there. Revis!

He's a great player no question. But Cro is tops in the league as well and we have him at manageable money. Wilson can be upgraded but we don't need an upgrade looking to make close to QB money.

I know his injury changes things but Revis doesn't mean as much to this team as many believe. Pats may have the worst CB's in the league and they make do. Same with the Giants, Steelers, etc....

Get the best trade you can in the offseason. The biggest part of the trade will not just be what we get in return. What we can do with that cap space is bigger and more important.

Not at any point thus far since his injury have I felt this team really missed Revis. And to me that says a lot. We're losing because we have poor coaching and an average QB who many times looks below average.

This isn't a thread knocking Revis. He's the best. But Cro is 1A and we need to retool in many areas next year. CB is not one of them. Even w/o Revis.

P.S. This goes for Holmes also. He's not going anywhere because of money but this team doesn't miss Holmes. We are not losing because Holmes is out.

Our latest losses to Houston, SF and NE would've still been losses had Revis and Holmes been playing.

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is ridiculous. You think that if Revis was on Hernandez that he gets that PI in OT like Wilson did? You think Revis drops the INT that Cro dropped in OT? You don't think Revis could have done a great job on Welker in the slot on a number of those 3rd down conversions?

Yes, there was a great defensive game plan in place today which minimized the impact of Revis's absence, but you can't say that the D wouldn't have been much better if he was on the field.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1

Also, i now after 30+ years of watching the NFL believe there is only ONE position that commands mega contracts.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holmes going down could be a blessing
    I certainly don't want anybody hurt.
    Just mean that the other guys have a shot to step up

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis, and Holmes might not be missed in the short term but they will be missed in the long term.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post
    This is ridiculous. You think that if Revis was on Hernandez that he gets that PI in OT like Wilson did? You think Revis drops the INT that Cro dropped in OT? You don't think Revis could have done a great job on Welker in the slot on a number of those 3rd down conversions?

Yes, there was a great defensive game plan in place today which minimized the impact of Revis's absence, but you can't say that the D wouldn't have been much better if he was on the field.
    What I think is, had Revis been healthy we still lose to Houston, SF and NE.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    ++1

I agree, Reavis is a great player and love him on the Jets, but is he worth the bs and the salary cap hit he presumably will demand? I was thinking the same thing about Santonio, Steelers sure don't miss him.

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    What I think is, had Revis been healthy we still lose to Houston, SF and NE.

I'll give you the first 2, and I'll also agree that this team has bigger needs (better qb play) than CB issues. But, I also think that Revis would've made a difference today, and he also could've made a difference against Pitt. I can see the argument that you want to let him play out his contract and then test the market next year, but our team would definitely be better if he was on the field.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    On one hand, I agree. The last few games have shown us that we shoudnt pay Revis.

The issue is that Cro uses his athleticism to play CB. As the years go by, is Cro going to be as effective? Probably not. I'd hate to trade Revis next year and in 2014 have Cro past his prime, Wilson cut, and the Jets without a CB

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    trading Revis in the offseason is an awful idea. I'm not saying trading down the road wouldn't be a smart move but why trade him when his value is at his absolute lowest? Let him come back next year and see what you got from there.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Got to agree. Can't see how you can think that if we had Revis, we wouldn't have made one more stop in the game, particularly at the end of regulation or in OT when Pats marched down the field. D player well without Revis, against an excellent offense, but I have little doubt that with Revis the D plays that little bit better that would have made the difference today.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know who we dont miss??? B. Scott! Davis=UPGRADE!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    On one hand, I agree. The last few games have shown us that we shoudnt pay Revis.

The issue is that Cro uses his athleticism to play CB. As the years go by, is Cro going to be as effective? Probably not. I'd hate to trade Revis next year and in 2014 have Cro past his prime, Wilson cut, and the Jets without a CB
    This is a big misconception. This idea that Cromartie relies entirely on athleticism to be a good CB. If athleticism was all that was needed, Justin Miller would have been a good CB. Cromartie has great hips and fantastic ball skills.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who were the cornerbacks on the 2000 Ravens defense?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll give you the first 2, and I'll also agree that this team has bigger needs (better qb play) than CB issues. But, I also think that Revis would've made a difference today, and he also could've made a difference against Pitt. I can see the argument that you want to let him play out his contract and then test the market next year, but our team would definitely be better if he was on the field.
    Jets are not winning the Super Bowl next year. Lets be real here. Letting him play out the deal on a team that is basically going .500 give or take is nuts. Yes we get a comp pick but trading Revis this offseason will net us more then just a 3rd or 4th round comp pick.

Better this year with Revis is not the point. But next year when we can turn Revis into 3 potential starters at other positions of need is where im going with this. There are no guarantees in draft picks I know but this has to be our direction as Revis doesn't guarantee anything either. Last year is a good example.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Defense is played in the middle. If you can get to the QB and stuff the run, you don't need lockdown corners. Trying to base a defense around locking down WRs but not having a pass-rush is doomed for failure. The better the QB, the more it benefits him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't you think Cromartie will be thinking Revis money next year? We set a bad precedent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd_Times_A_Charm View Post
    Who were the cornerbacks on the 2000 Ravens defense?
    Was Ed Reed there?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drsamuel84 View Post
    trading Revis in the offseason is an awful idea. I'm not saying trading down the road wouldn't be a smart move but why trade him when his value is at his absolute lowest? Let him come back next year and see what you got from there.
    Down the road? If we don't trade him in the offseason he walks after next year. There is no down the road. This offseason is the only time we can trade him. If he plays out his deal we lose him for nothing but a comp pick. If the Jets dont make Revis the highest paid defensive player in the leauge or darm close to it he will be testing the market and he's a goner and we get squat.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 10-21-2012 at 10:16 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's crazy to think that the Jets don't miss Revis, but even with that said, if i could get a 1st and a 2nd for him he's someone's problem come contract time.

The player(s) i wish we could find a way to get rid of is Holmes and Sanchez.