Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Give me a realistic plan to replace Sanchez

while i don't think sanchez is the answer...could you imagine this place had he NOT gone 16/20 190 1 td in the second half, drove us down the field 94 yards while going 9/10 and brought us back form 10 down in the fourth?

jeez.

and yes, i get the pats d is putrid. but at the end of the day you still need to make the throws.

again, i'm not the biggest sanchez fan. and his ball control drives me through the roof. but he had a good game today. had the special teams not given up a td, soprano not call an atrocious 3rd and 1.5, or hill catch that ball its a whole different conversation. none of which he could control

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Tebow or McElroy would have more wins than Sanchez this year. Rex and everyone in the building know it, they just don't have the balls to make the move.

Jets dont need someone to be great, they just need someone to not be horrible.
    I like Mcelroy BUT I DO NOT think this kid could do better. He is A LOT shorter then Sanchez is and doesnt look like he could take some of the DEATH BLOWS Sanchez has. Its one thing looking DECENT against 3rd stringers but playing with the BIGBOYS is a different story Now Tebow??? the guy cant throw...NUFF SAID!

Quote Originally Posted by crunchtime View Post
    What QB Coach in the NFL would you want??? Who is available and what would it cost to bring a REAL QB coach here??? These are the questions IMO.
    Actually, all I want is to stop being bombarded with emotional fire Sanchez takeovers of every thread and challange those posters to come up with a reasonable plan to do so. So far at least, they can't.

Does the cost of a QB coach matter? I don't think it hits the cap and Woody has more money than god, just on his profits from the team. How about the guy who runs that QB camp we heard a lot about during the off season? Sorry I can't remember his name, I'll try and find it on Google.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Listen, do I think Sanchez is the worst starting QB in the league? No, I don't.

Do I think he's a total bum who has no future in this league? No, I don't.

But it's pretty obvious at this point that he's never going to develop into a legitimate franchise QB (aka Top 10 guy) at this point.

Maybe I'm just being stubborn, but I still want that elite QB. Pennington was the closest thing we've had in 40 years but the injury bug dicked us up and down on that one.

If Sanchez is always going to be a mediocre piece of the puzzle instead of one of our main strong points, then move on.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Sanchez is here and starting until 2014. Case Closed. Too much money invested in him until then to cut ties thanks to Tanny's extension. At that time I think we should draft a QB if there is a can't miss prospect and/or bring in a stop gap type of vet.
    This. Unless Sanchez has a complete meltdown like the end of last season, he'll be our starting QB again next season. But this offseason the Jets HAVE to either: (A) identify a QB they like in the first round and trade up for him (not looking like we'll have a top 10 pick this year) or (B) like the Broncos and Eagles did this past year, invest at least a mid round pick in a high-upside QB to groom while Sanchez takes his final shot at proving he's a franchise QB.

The worst thing about the Jets having a below average starting QB is that they dont have a legit backup who you can fantasize about some day becoming a stud.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Actually, all I want is to stop being bombarded with emotional fire Sanchez takeovers of every thread and challange those posters to come up with a reasonable plan to do so. So far at least, they can't.

Does the cost of a QB coach matter? I don't think it hits the cap and Woody has more money than god, just on his profits from the team. How about the guy who runs that QB camp we heard a lot about during the off season? Sorry I can't remember his name, I'll try and find it on Google.
    Do you honestly believe it's Matt Cavanaugh's fault that Sanchez is not performing consistently?

1) get a real gm that has a proven track record at evaluating and selecting quarterbacks.

2) get a real QB coach.

3) draft a qb every year until you find a good one.

4) win superbowls. Multiple.

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    If you wanna keep Sanchez then yes this!!! IDK what's the deal with the blind loyalty to Mark Cavanaugh. Dude has done Jacksh*t. Not even a proven track record of developing QB's.
    Carlito, I guess you didn't watch Jets POSTGAME LIVE 'cause it was mentioned that the Jets went out and interviewed a bunch for the QB Coach position....in the end NO ONE WANTED the Position(think about that for a sec!) and the Jets ended up having to stick with Cavanaugh out of necessity.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post
    1) get a real gm that has a proven track record at evaluating and selecting quarterbacks.

2) get a real QB coach.

3) draft a qb every year until you find a good one.

4) win superbowls. Multiple.
    If you draft a potential franchise QB every year, what will the supporting cast look like?

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Listen, do I think Sanchez is the worst starting QB in the league? No, I don't.

Do I think he's a total bum who has no future in this league? No, I don't.

But it's pretty obvious at this point that he's never going to develop into a legitimate franchise QB (aka Top 10 guy) at this point.

Maybe I'm just being stubborn, but I still want that elite QB. Pennington was the closest thing we've had in 40 years but the injury bug dicked us up and down on that one.

If Sanchez is always going to be a mediocre piece of the puzzle instead of one of our main strong points, then move on.
    Noodle-arm was NEVER an Elite QB nor was he ever CLOSE to that. Take off your Penny-colored Glasses, Untouchable.

Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    If you draft a potential franchise QB every year, what will the supporting cast look like?
    Does it matter?

The Jets would have to "HIT" on someone....eventually, right?

Go for Quantity, then sift through for Quality.

When you've found your Franchise QB, dump the rest.

Sounds like a plan to me...

Do you honestly believe it's Matt Cavanaugh's fault that Sanchez is not performing consistently?
    Do you think Cav is someone that you should trust to groom your $60 mil "franchise QB" that only played one year in college? What you get is F'ing buzzers and only 8-10 reps per day in camp against the defense while other teams are getting 30 plus reps for their QB... These coaches are a joke when it comes to bringing up a QB.

Hiring/keeping Cavanaugh is very high up on the very long list of stupid moves this FO makes on a consistent basis..

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Carlito, I guess you didn't watch Jets POSTGAME LIVE 'cause it was mentioned that the Jets went out and interviewed a bunch for the QB Coach position....in the end NO ONE WANTED the Position(think about that for a sec!) and the Jets ended up having to stick with Cavanaugh out of necessity.
    Not that I put much stock in postgame live but if the story is true it's pretty interesting. Did they say why? At the end of the day anyone can be bought.

All League
    I'm not sure how well the QBs that are rated highly will go in the draft, but with Dalton being a 2nd rounder, and the job that Wilson is doing in Seattle, my choice would be to draft a QB on day 2 so there wont be pressure for him to immediately beat out Sanchez but the threat will always be there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Performing? We don't know if he is the reason, but we can say that he has not helped in the development of the team's most important asset. Cavanaugh has never developed an NFL QB. He failed with the Ravens and hasn't done much here.

Adam Schein said on Postgame Live that the Jets tried to hire 3 other QB coaches, but it didn't work out so they kept Cavanaugh.

A QB coach can be very important. He's like a pitching coach or a golf coach. He's supposed to be keen on the QB's mechanics and notice mistakes in striding, release points, arm angle, etc. and tell the QB what's he doing wrong and how he should fix it.

I know it's easy to rely on the "Sanchez sucks meme," but on many of Sanchez' errant throws it looks like a mechanical issue because he has a nice throwing motion and he's throwing a spiral, but the ball is coming out too high. That's supposed to be Cavanaugh's job to correct.

Veteran
    Sanchez's contract is guaranteed next year. That and the fact that we will be close to the cap means that realistically Sanchez is our QB for 2013. I haven't always thought that the media attention will force the Jets hands but I can see if we loose next week against Miami were coming out the bye week the start Tebow or McElroy. If they pull Mark I think they have to trade him during the offseason. Which would leave us in the QB hunt during the offseason.

If they keep Mark, you have to improve the talent on offense. I am not sure what direction they go in with a limited cap for free agents. Offensive line has to be a priority. Slauson is probably gone, do they insert Ducasse? Smith/Howard will probably be starting at RT. Howard is becoming a solid starter but not elite, they probably stay put there. Stephen Hill will have 7 or 8 TD's this season, he will start again next year and unfortunately there isn't anything we can do with Holmes with his contract and the fact that he's coming off an injury. I have always liked Keller but he's a blocking liability and is he worth top 5 TE money which is what he will probably get in free agency? I don't think he is. So you add a solid duel threat TE maybe through the draft and add in a starting LG from free agency. I am not sure where you get a starting RB in free agency but this is a position where the Jets need someone who can run the ball with some speed and block during passing plays. If I'm the Jets I start looking at the Saints as a trading partner for one of their backs. They are stacked at the RB position and they don't run the ball a ton. Ingram, Ivory, Sproles and Thomas. Sproles isn't going anywhere and they just drafted Ingram. Maybe go after Thomas or Ivory. The Jaguars are rebuilding and with the recent offseason that MJD had I would love to go after him this season before the trading deadline ends. I think he hurt his leg tonight maybe that effects his trade value, but he's a stud at the RB position and would provide the Jets with a RB who can catch the pass and provide 1,400 a year running the ball. If the Jets can trade say a 2nd rounder along with a player maybe we can swing it.

Bottom line, Mark will probably be here next year, time to build around him. If the Jets get healthy and get rid of Tebow - and the distraction I suspect we will have a much better year in 2013 and will threaten the Pats.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchez View Post
    Do you think Cav is someone that you should trust to groom your $60 mil "franchise QB" that only played one year in college? What you get is F'ing buzzers and only 8-10 reps per day in camp against the defense while other teams are getting 30 plus reps for their QB... These coaches are a joke when it comes to bringing up a QB.

Hiring/keeping Cavanaugh is very high up on the very long list of stupid moves this FO makes on a consistent basis..
    Both Cav and Schotty spent plenty of time with Mark since he was drafted. I honestly don't think there is any QB coach out there who turns Sanchez into an All-Pro. At this point in his career, it's all on Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I'm not sure how well the QBs that are rated highly will go in the draft, but with Dalton being a 2nd rounder, and the job that Wilson is doing in Seattle, my choice would be to draft a QB on day 2 so there wont be pressure for him to immediately beat out Sanchez but the threat will always be there.
    A plan! That makes sense! Thank you pcola. Don't know much about Dalton but taking a 2nd rounder we could grow doesn't force unrealistic expectations and is cost-effective and workable.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Performing? We don't know if he is the reason, but we can say that he has not helped in the development of the team's most important asset. Cavanaugh has never developed an NFL QB. He failed with the Ravens and hasn't done much here.

Adam Schein said on Postgame Live that the Jets tried to hire 3 other QB coaches, but it didn't work out so they kept Cavanaugh.

A QB coach can be very important. He's like a pitching coach or a golf coach. He's supposed to be keen on the QB's mechanics and notice mistakes in striding, release points, arm angle, etc. and tell the QB what's he doing wrong and how he should fix it.

I know it's easy to rely on the "Sanchez sucks meme," but on many of Sanchez' errant throws it looks like a mechanical issue because he has a nice throwing motion and he's throwing a spiral, but the ball is coming out too high. That's supposed to be Cavanaugh's job to correct.

And you know for a fact Cavanaugh hasn't pointed this out to Sanchez???

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Noodle-arm was NEVER an Elite QB nor was he ever CLOSE to that. Take off your Penny-colored Glasses, Untouchable.

Does it matter?

The Jets would have to "HIT" on someone....eventually, right?

Go for Quantity, then sift through for Quality.

When you've found your Franchise QB, dump the rest.

Sounds like a plan to me...
    There was a good 4-5 year period where Pennington was widely regarded as the most cerebral and best playaction QB this side of Peyton Manning.

Seriously, how short sighted are some of you guys?

In '02, you had the likes of John Madden and Bill Romanowski heralding Pennington as the closest thing to Joe Montana since Joe Montana for f*ck sake.

Yet Pennington gets tossed under the rug in the eyes of Jets fans in favor of a QB who struggles to complete 50% of his passes and makes stupid rookie mistakes at an alarming rate? Oh, but he was our starting QB on two stacked teams that came up just short. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    Sanchez's contract is guaranteed next year. That and the fact that we will be close to the cap means that realistically Sanchez is our QB for 2013. I haven't always thought that the media attention will force the Jets hands but I can see if we loose next week against Miami were coming out the bye week the start Tebow or McElroy. If they pull Mark I think they have to trade him during the offseason. Which would leave us in the QB hunt during the offseason.

If they keep Mark, you have to improve the talent on offense. I am not sure what direction they go in with a limited cap for free agents. Offensive line has to be a priority. Slauson is probably gone, do they insert Ducasse? Smith/Howard will probably be starting at RT. Howard is becoming a solid starter but not elite, they probably stay put there. Stephen Hill will have 7 or 8 TD's this season, he will start again next year and unfortunately there isn't anything we can do with Holmes with his contract and the fact that he's coming off an injury. I have always liked Keller but he's a blocking liability and is he worth top 5 TE money which is what he will probably get in free agency? I don't think he is. So you add a solid duel threat TE maybe through the draft and add in a starting LG from free agency. I am not sure where you get a starting RB in free agency but this is a position where the Jets need someone who can run the ball with some speed and block during passing plays. If I'm the Jets I start looking at the Saints as a trading partner for one of their backs. They are stacked at the RB position and they don't run the ball a ton. Ingram, Ivory, Sproles and Thomas. Sproles isn't going anywhere and they just drafted Ingram. Maybe go after Thomas or Ivory. The Jaguars are rebuilding and with the recent offseason that MJD had I would love to go after him this season before the trading deadline ends. I think he hurt his leg tonight maybe that effects his trade value, but he's a stud at the RB position and would provide the Jets with a RB who can catch the pass and provide 1,400 a year running the ball. If the Jets can trade say a 2nd rounder along with a player maybe we can swing it.

Bottom line, Mark will probably be here next year, time to build around him. If the Jets get healthy and get rid of Tebow - and the distraction I suspect we will have a much better year in 2013 and will threaten the Pats.
    I think trying to move Sanchez in the offseason is a likely scenario EXCEPT who in their right mind would want to trade for him and his contract