Thread: On McCourty Fumble, Clock Didn't Start Till He Hit the 8

On McCourty Fumble, Clock Didn't Start Till He Hit the 8

Jets were told it was not reviewable.

Why am I not surprised?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by leonwashington2 View Post
    Jets were told it was not reviewable.

Why am I not surprised?
    In all fairness, it's worth maybe a second or two. Not a critical factor in the game.

Someone needs to ask that ref who PI'd Wilson WTF he think HE saw 25 yards down the field with no line-of-sight to the play????

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    In all fairness, it's worth maybe a second or two. Not a critical factor in the game.

Someone needs to ask that ref who PI'd Wilson WTF he think HE saw 25 yards down the field with no line-of-sight to the play????
    Not a critcal factor? Are you crazy?

That play resulted in giving the Pats an extra time out and a stoppage of the clock. The Jets got the ball after the turnover on that play before the two minute warning, and ran a play before the two minute warning. The Pats forced the Jets after 3 downs into a FG attempt, that saved the Pats an entire play clock, that was HUGE, THAT WAS THE ****ING GAME RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems these are the ways highly paid individuals\corps who just happen to be linked to refs tweek games.

They never start the clock on time when the kickoff is received. They never stop the clock on time when the ball goes through the uprights on a field goal. They take a second or two too long to stop the clock when a guy runs out of bounds.

It is what is.

The advantage it gave to the Pats can't be argued, but whether or not it the clock operators actually messed up seems to be an issue.

Bob Wischusen was actually ranting about this on Twitter. I didn't notice it when it happened, but apparently, compared to when the clock started on the other kickoff returns, it was an egregious error. It's a huge deal in the sense that it absolutely gave the Pats another timeout, I don't think that part can be argued. Like I said, I didn't notice it when it happened so I don't know how , but Bob was making a pretty good argument on Twitter, saying among along the lines of, "How many kick returns do you ever see take 5 seconds or less off the clock?"

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by unchartedm0nkey View Post
    The advantage it gave to the Pats can't be argued, but whether or not it the clock operators actually messed up seems to be an issue.

Bob Wischusen was actually ranting about this on Twitter. I didn't notice it when it happened, but apparently, compared to when the clock started on the other kickoff returns, it was an egregious error. It's a huge deal in the sense that it absolutely gave the Pats another timeout, I don't think that part can be argued. Like I said, I didn't notice it when it happened so I don't know how , but Bob was making a pretty good argument on Twitter, saying among along the lines of, "How many kick returns do you ever see take 5 seconds or less off the clock?"
    if you watch the replay on nfl dot com, you see that, yeah, the clock starts a little late. no biggie. it stops @ 2:01, conveniently, before any whistles or ref signals. I would think that would be the shenanigans.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Seems these are the ways highly paid individuals\corps who just happen to be linked to refs tweek games.
    +100000

I hate when people argue against the fixing of games by saying "well they got just as many calls as we did". It's stupid. It's not about the amount of calls. It's about the TIMING of the calls.

But I digress because the Jets had the Pats dead to rights and THEY failed to close the casket. The end.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

That play resulted in giving the Pats an extra time out and a stoppage of the clock. The Jets got the ball after the turnover on that play before the two minute warning, and ran a play before the two minute warning. The Pats forced the Jets after 3 downs into a FG attempt, that saved the Pats an entire play clock, that was HUGE, THAT WAS THE ****ING GAME RIGHT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes, but not as big as the Wilson penalty. In all of my years of watching football, I have never seen a penalty called by a ref no exagerration 25 yards away when another ref right on top of the play didnt call anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    Yes, but not as big as the Wilson penalty. In all of my years of watching football, I have never seen a penalty called by a ref no exagerration 25 yards away when another ref right on top of the play didnt call anything.
    I'm sorry, that Wilson penalty was total BS. The ref standing right in front of the play didn't throw a flag, bu the dude 30 yards away did? Give me a break.

As for the clock, I'm not sure you could really say they did it on purpose. But 1 second absolutely could have made the difference in the game.

All League
    That would have been the game in my opinion. Having the clock stop at 2:01 was the Patriots saving grace.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    They never start the clock on time when the kickoff is received. They never stop the clock on time when the ball goes through the uprights on a field goal. They take a second or two too long to stop the clock when a guy runs out of bounds.

It is what is.
    It seems like it started particularly late there and the clock fortuitously stopped with 1 second before the 2 min warning, but your point is correct - the clock is never strated/stopped exactly when it should. You can't b!tch too much about that.

And the Pats still had an extra TO left. All that means is that they would have had no TOs to go for a FG in 1:40 or so. Turns out, they didn't really need the TO - they could have clocked the ball at the end if they wanted.

Didn't really make a difference.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    It seems like it started particularly late there and the clock fortuitously stopped with 1 second before the 2 min warning, but your point is correct - the clock is never strated/stopped exactly when it should. You can't b!tch too much about that.

And the Pats still had an extra TO left. All that means is that they would have had no TOs to go for a FG in 1:40 or so. Turns out, they didn't really need the TO - they could have clocked the ball at the end if they wanted.

Didn't really make a difference.
    Precisely.

We lost this game on conservative playcalling and atrocious prevent defense.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

But your not blaming the refs.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Precisely.

We lost this game on conservative playcalling and atrocious prevent defense.

SAR I
    and poor special teams, greene's 2 fumbles, dropped passes and poor clock managment.

Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    They are certainly both up there, the decibel level I yelped when both plays happened sent my 80 lb Boxer/Shep into a corner and into the fetal position.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    But your not blaming the refs.
    Dude, STFU, and stop trolling.

Also worth noting the fumble from Sanchez in OT was clearly an uncalled Brady-rule hit. You can't dive at a QB below the knees like that. There was a whole slew of terrible officiating calls in the last couple minutes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Seriously folks..it's the Pats..did you expect anything else but one sided biased officiating in favor of their darlings..the Pats and Brady???

Think Walt Coleman's boner reversing the most obvious fumble in NFL history.

Do any of you think these "regular officials" would have called the holding penalty on Gronk that was a big factor in the Pats losing to the Cards??

Not in a million years

Without the honest replacement officials the Pats have at least 5. wins. Not the 3 they currently should have

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2