Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun and 4 wide spread on 3 and 1 inside the 5 .... Sparano is a genius

Shotgun and 4 wide spread on 3 and 1 inside the 5 .... Sparano is a genius

So glad we hired this guy. That was the best play call I seen. I mean you're getting every short gain possible on 3rd and short on this drive so why line up in a jumbo package if your gonna throw and maybe set up a play fake? I mean the Pats would clearly see the play fake coming since you know ... 5 times during this drive they got hit up the middle hard on 3rd and short. Now its near the goal line .... why would they EVER suspect run. So Tony comes out Shotgun, and 4 wides ... that's how you do it. That had to have been the worst call .... Our Redzone offense is terrible but the play calling has been beyond terrible. I love the more vertical passing approach but Sparano's feel for the game isn't that good. I mean what in the world would make him go shotgun there? He must have had his finger on that play the whole time thinking this was a money play and just called it cause his mind was on it. NO OTHER reason makes sense. If any coach has a feel for the moment there he goes power I and at the very worst play fakes it. There should have been a run up the middle on 3rd and 1 with either Tebow or Greene, and on 4th you do the same. If you can't get 1 yard on 2 plays after all that running you did prior you don't deserve to win the game anyways. This coaching staff has no balls.

This one blows my ****ing mind. You take Greene who has been having a good game- and on a 3rd and 1 at the goal line you get cute and try to throw a slant? Why? Whhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???

Jets Insider VIP
    Agreed.

I'd like to see Cromartie in the Red Zone as well. With his arms and athleticism, any jump ball should be a piece of cake. This year's Burress.

Veteran
    That was the game right there.

On the road against the Pats at the end of the half?

I run the ball on 3rd and 4th down.

they were ramming it right down the pats throat. should have given it to hilliard 2x, they would have got that 1 yard.

sure sanchez made mistakes but geez.

Even if you're going to pass you can't be in a shotgun.

That's the part of it that completely boggles my mind. How often do TE's end up wide-open in the back of the end-zone on Play-actions near the EZ?

Make them respect the run!!!!

All Pro
    Worst call of the season.

Even if you want to throw it, do a play action. But that was awful.

Veteran
    More than any play, this one to me is where the game was lost. Tie the game up, start stepping on the Pats throat and give your defense a huge lift.

All Pro
    Exactly! Why come out in 4 wide and tip your hand? Ideally I would have liked to see Greene get the carry, or Tebow run the power, but if you really wanna throw, use the play fake out of Jumbo set. Every single Patriot would have been thinking run, might have been a wide open touchdown. Even this di*khead Schotty had enough sense to call that bootleg against the Steelers that year.

All Pro
    Rex has to know this play was called and he has to veto it.

Rex has to say, "Shotgun? No Tony. We're running the rock here. Call a fuking run, you idiot."

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You're a thousand per cent right. Now let's forget about that abysmal play call. It makes me sick. Maybe Sparano had a stroke.

Practice Squad
    They talk endlessly about "ground and pound", they execute it all drive long...

THEN... when it comes time to close the deal and score they get cute...

As Herm so perfectly put it... you play to win the game... Jet's played not to lose on Sunday, both on this goal line play AND after the fumble.

I was just dazed by this call?
    Only the Jets try to get cute in that situation.
    This was the reason you get Tebow in there on this play!
    Polian talking about Tebow & the Jets before the start of the season.

"Tebow is virtually impossible to stop inside the 5 yard line, I can see the Jets using him in there & having success, I mean the guy is 250 Lbs & has unique skills in converting short yardage plays, he's been doing this since high school"

OUCH!
    I thought Sparano called a pretty good game overall but this was a BLATANTLY BAD CALL!
    Like others have said, I have no problem going jumbo package & try to play fake to a TE from UNDER CENTER!
    I'm SO PISSED ABOUT THIS PLAY CALL & here's why.
    All we hear is GROUND & POUND out of these effing coaches & when the perfect situation arrives to do it & use the 250 LB Tebow, we go fetal position!
    ARE U KIDDING ME!

Agreed. That to me was another missed opportunity. So many on the day.

This situation had Tebow written all over it. The guy dominates inside the 5 yard line and we don't give him a shot on 3rd and 1?

From August training camp:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...line-1.3877744

For the first time in this training camp, Tim Tebow was in his element Thursday -- faking handoffs, running bootlegs and barreling his way into the end zone -- as the Jets emphasized efficiency from inside the 5-yard line.

It was vintage Tebow. And, the Jets hope, a sign of things to come.
    "If he's one-on-one with a defender and a tackler, my money's on Tim," Sanchez said. "That guy can really run the ball. He's got great vision. And he's got this will about him to put it in the end zone."

Tebow was "live" during the goal-line drills, meaning he was fair game for the defense, except when he was dropping back to pass. The Jets' offense scored three times on four goal-line plays with Tebow: He ran for two touchdowns and also ran a play-action bootleg that resulted in a touchdown pass to Josh Baker.

"When he's inside the 5, you have to [be physical] because you know that's a weapon," Rex Ryan said, adding that Thursday was Tebow's best practice. "It's not like you're going to have a live goal-line scrimmage and, oh by the way, the quarterback's running for a touchdown and nobody lays a glove on him."
    Someone please explain to me why we wouldn't immediately go to Tebow in that situation?

Practice Squad
    You HAVE TO score 7 there... against the Pats on the road after a great drive there is no way you don't go 4 downs... this coaching staff need to grow a pair

Unhappy PLAYCALLS BY SPARANO... a Limping MCKNIGHT INTO THE LINE.??

Quote Originally Posted by InsideBlitz View Post
    This one blows my ****ing mind. You take Greene who has been having a good game- and on a 3rd and 1 at the goal line you get cute and try to throw a slant? Why? Whhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???
    .. The slant pass to ScHillens was a terrible call. He got no separation and the ball was easily tipped away. How about RUNNING the ball with Greene/Hilliard in that situation. Huh. All this talk about ground and pound is a joke. Sparano's play calls lost this game. And then in OT.... running Tebow for 1 yard right into Vince Wilfork, the strength of their line. And even letting McKnight run into the line,!!! McKnight was limping all thru the 4th quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    You're a thousand per cent right. Now let's forget about that abysmal play call. It makes me sick. Maybe Sparano had a stroke.
    Nope. He's just the wrong man for the job as our OC, or for any NFL franchise. He's never been an OC, nor has he designed offenses. Not that it should have mattered to Tanny and Rex when they hired Sparano. SOJ.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    This situation had Tebow written all over it. The guy dominates inside the 5 yard line and we don't give him a shot on 3rd and 1?

Someone please explain to me why we wouldn't immediately go to Tebow in that situation?
    We saw plain label vanilla all preseason because that's all Sparano had.

He wasn't hiding or saving anything - e.g. the Wildcat - he didn't have anything to offer.

He's like the kid that didn't do his homework and hands in an excuse letter written by his mom.

It's been 7 games and we still haven't seen anything but vanilla.

Kerley has usable vertical leap, why not send him over the top a la Marcus Allen?

Tebow is a superb open-field runner.

Dump it off to him, get him the ball in open space where he can use his speed - not at the heels of the OL every freakin' time.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by OneTime View Post
    You HAVE TO score 7 there... against the Pats on the road after a great drive there is no way you don't go 4 downs... this coaching staff need to grow a pair
    Which is why you run it up the middle. Even if you don't get the first down, you will still probably move it closer. You need to make a play call there with the next play in mind.

Having to guard against the TD AND the 1st Down is a lot more difficult than if it was simply 3rd and goal.