Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun and 4 wide spread on 3 and 1 inside the 5 .... Sparano is a genius

It was a questionable play call, I agree, but if Schilens makes an effort on that play, it's a TD and we are all singing his praises.

It's funny fans hate it when the calls are conservative and hate it when they are too aggressive.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Nope. He's just the wrong man for the job as our OC, or for any NFL franchise. He's never been an OC, nor has he designed offenses. Not that it should have mattered to Tanny and Rex when they hired Sparano. SOJ.
    Tony should drive the team bus.

Shotgun maybe not so smart, avoiding the dreaded jumbo package, very good move. The jumbo package is the stupidest way to gain short yardage and is like the offensive version of the idiotic 3 man rush.

Practice Squad

Question

Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    We saw plain label vanilla all preseason because that's all Sparano had.

He wasn't hiding or saving anything - e.g. the Wildcat - he didn't have anything to offer.

He's like the kid that didn't do his homework and hands in an excuse letter written by his mom.

It's been 7 games and we still haven't seen anything but vanilla.

Kerley has usable vertical leap, why not send him over the top a la Marcus Allen?

Tebow is a superb open-field runner.

Dump it off to him, get him the ball in open space where he can use his speed - not at the heels of the OL every freakin' time.
    What a bunch of whiny babies you guys are. Such lame losers. So run it to the middle of the pats jumbo formation when you have single coverage on the outside against one of the worst DBs in football? There was nothing wrong with the call. IMO it had a higher percentage of success than running it up the gut against the pats jumbo where they are expecting it. Execution was the problem. Shillens looked like he was not interested on that play.

If they run up the middle and get stuffed, every fan screams for a pass play against those lousy DBs.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    It was a questionable play call, I agree, but if Schilens makes an effort on that play, it's a TD and we are all singing his praises.

It's funny fans hate it when the calls are conservative and hate it when they are too aggressive.
    The problem there is a time and a place for aggressive and for conservative... and usually the game situation dictates how coaches should play it.

Then there is the way in which they apply the aggression, and in this case he applied the aggression in an illogical manner.

Being aggressive could have been two straight runs up the gut on 3rd and 4th and 1. Being aggressive could have been a play-action pass. Being aggressive could have been a roll out where the QB had a run-pass option.

But no. He calls a slant -- a route the Pats had been sitting on and stopping all day long -- and puts it on the 4th string WR who has not earned the opportunity in that situation. It's not like they were throwing to Fitzgerald here. It was Chaz. Really?

There is a fine line between being aggressive and being flat out dumb, and Sparano was very, very dumb for calling that. I think just about every Jet fan in the country was yelling at the TV when they lined up in shotgun, and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    So glad we hired this guy. That was the best play call I seen. I mean you're getting every short gain possible on 3rd and short on this drive so why line up in a jumbo package if your gonna throw and maybe set up a play fake? I mean the Pats would clearly see the play fake coming since you know ... 5 times during this drive they got hit up the middle hard on 3rd and short. Now its near the goal line .... why would they EVER suspect run. So Tony comes out Shotgun, and 4 wides ... that's how you do it. That had to have been the worst call .... Our Redzone offense is terrible but the play calling has been beyond terrible. I love the more vertical passing approach but Sparano's feel for the game isn't that good. I mean what in the world would make him go shotgun there? He must have had his finger on that play the whole time thinking this was a money play and just called it cause his mind was on it. NO OTHER reason makes sense. If any coach has a feel for the moment there he goes power I and at the very worst play fakes it. There should have been a run up the middle on 3rd and 1 with either Tebow or Greene, and on 4th you do the same. If you can't get 1 yard on 2 plays after all that running you did prior you don't deserve to win the game anyways. This coaching staff has no balls.
    This is not the first time we have done this. This was a constant under Mangini and Schotty, and I started numerous threads about it, basically stating why are you telling the defense not to worry about the run. Just tell the defense the freakin route as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    Tony should drive the team bus.
    Dope probably runs it out of gas on the way to the game, and we forfeit.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    What a bunch of whiny babies you guys are. Such lame losers. So run it to the middle of the pats jumbo formation when you have single coverage on the outside against one of the worst DBs in football? There was nothing wrong with the call. IMO it had a higher percentage of success than running it up the gut against the pats jumbo where they are expecting it. Execution was the problem. Shillens looked like he was not interested on that play.

If they run up the middle and get stuffed, every fan screams for a pass play against those lousy DBs.
    Where did I say to run it up the gut?

Learn how to read, Cleatus.
    Last edited by jetrider; 10-22-2012 at 10:22 AM.

I was just dazed by this call?
    Only the Jets try to get cute in that situation.
    This was the reason you get Tebow in there on this play!
    Polian talking about Tebow & the Jets before the start of the season.

"Tebow is virtually impossible to stop inside the 5 yard line, I can see the Jets using him in there & having success, I mean the guy is 250 Lbs & has unique skills in converting short yardage plays, he's been doing this since high school"

Tebow is the most missused player on the team. The opportunities missed!

With a 3rd and 1, I was SHOCKED that the Jets didn't go to Shonn Greene once more.

I mean....think about it :

Even during the crappy games(up till last week against the Colts), you always saw Shonn get no less than 2 YARDS....TWO! And it's a 3rd and 1.....

You mean to tell me that you don't TRUST Shonn to get ONE YARD when, at his worst, he gets *TWO* Yards by accident????

Tony Sparano is GARBAGE, PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    With a 3rd and 1, I was SHOCKED that the Jets didn't go to Shonn Greene once more.

Even during the crappy games(up till last week against the Colts), you always saw Shonn get no less than 2 YARDS....TWO! And it's a 3rd and 1.....

You mean to tell me that you don't TRUST Shonn to get ONE YARD when, at his worst, he gets *TWO* Yards by accident????

they'll hand it off to greene every single first down they have, and he gets 1 or 2 yards. but when they only need 1 yard they throw it. nice job sparano.

Quote Originally Posted by adoom View Post
    I was just dazed by this call?
    Only the Jets try to get cute in that situation.
    This was the reason you get Tebow in there on this play!
    Polian talking about Tebow & the Jets before the start of the season.

"Tebow is virtually impossible to stop inside the 5 yard line, I can see the Jets using him in there & having success, I mean the guy is 250 Lbs & has unique skills in converting short yardage plays, he's been doing this since high school"

Tebow is the most missused player on the team. The opportunities missed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

It's not a question of conservative or aggressive. It is a question of smart and not smart. The smart plays are either a run between the tackles (possible 2 chances to make a first down if you do not score), or a play action pass. Lining up in a shotgun (with Sanchez and not Tebow) tells the D "this is a pass", the result of which will either be a TD or 4th down.

Conservative v. Aggressive was also a fail after the Jets recovered the fumbled kick return. They did neither. Aggressive is a deep throw going for the jugular on first down. Instead it was tebow for 2, a limping Mcknight up the middle for 1, and they attempt a pass on 3d and 7.

On the season Greene is 6 for 6 on 3d and 1.

I disagree with the majority here, and like Sparano. I think he has called pretty good games for the most part with the limited talent he has.

In general the patriots are built to stop the run. They have a terrible pass defense. But they stop the run better then we run the ball. If the jets were in a run formation who can guarantee we don't lose yardage on the play?

The slant is marks best pass by far. It was wide open and the play wasn't executed properly but it should have been a td. Yes perhaps it should have been to kerly but we have limited options. Going up against the patriots dime guy is usually a good idea.

I can't fault sparano for this. The ball hit the wrs hands in the end zone. We had guys wide open all night. The run game has improved. Sanchez faced very little pressure all night. We tried deep, intermediete, and short stuff. Sparano has done a really good job for the most part, I like him.

Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    I disagree with the majority here, and like Sparano. I think he has called pretty good games for the most part with the limited talent he has.

In general the patriots are built to stop the run. They have a terrible pass defense. But they stop the run better then we run the ball. If the jets were in a run formation who can guarantee we don't lose yardage on the play?

The slant is marks best pass by far. It was wide open and the play wasn't executed properly but it should have been a td. Yes perhaps it should have been to kerly but we have limited options. Going up against the patriots dime guy is usually a good idea.

I can't fault sparano for this. The ball hit the wrs hands in the end zone. We had guys wide open all night. The run game has improved. Sanchez faced very little pressure all night. We tried deep, intermediete, and short stuff. Sparano has done a really good job for the most part, I like him.
    ^this
    tebow would have been ideal in this situation
    a lot of ??? but ended up being execution again
    good thing chaz is still healthy...hes really contributing

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post

That was one bad call IIMO....

But IMO Sparano is LIGHT YEARS ahaead of Schotty!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    What a bunch of whiny babies you guys are. Such lame losers. So run it to the middle of the pats jumbo formation [with perhaps the most dangerous runner inside the five yard line in college fooball history] when you have single coverage on the outside against one of the worst DBs in football?
    FYP.

Yes, run it there. And I don't think it's "whiny" to point out that we've got a dangerous weapon that we aren't using in a situation that's taylor made for his talents.

My take. Agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post
    That was the game right there.

On the road against the Pats at the end of the half?

I run the ball on 3rd and 4th down.
    it was the opening drive of the second half

Every single team in the league runs a variety of this play, designed to be used in that situation. Give him 1 or 2 reads on one side of the field, if it's there, make the throw, if it's not scramble against a vacated middle of the field (Hence Shotgun, 4 wide) for the first down/touchdown. Sanchez actually made a pretty good throw and Schillens probably should have made the grab, I thought.

But sure, lets scapegoat another Offensive Coordinator for the players not being able to execute.