Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shotgun and 4 wide spread on 3 and 1 inside the 5 .... Sparano is a genius

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to be "Ground and Pound" you stick Smith in as tackle, put Hilliard in as FB, put Tebow in at QB, and stick Greene behind Hilliard. Have Keller or Reuland ran a quick slant across and that gives you the ability to PA to him, slam Greene or Hilliard up the middle, or have Tebow slam it up himself or try to break the edge behind a motioning Smith.

This is THE SINGLE THING THEY HAVE ALMOST THE IDEAL ROSTER FOR.

Yet they don't run it.......

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    So glad we hired this guy. That was the best play call I seen. I mean you're getting every short gain possible on 3rd and short on this drive so why line up in a jumbo package if your gonna throw and maybe set up a play fake? I mean the Pats would clearly see the play fake coming since you know ... 5 times during this drive they got hit up the middle hard on 3rd and short. Now its near the goal line .... why would they EVER suspect run. So Tony comes out Shotgun, and 4 wides ... that's how you do it. That had to have been the worst call .... Our Redzone offense is terrible but the play calling has been beyond terrible. I love the more vertical passing approach but Sparano's feel for the game isn't that good. I mean what in the world would make him go shotgun there? He must have had his finger on that play the whole time thinking this was a money play and just called it cause his mind was on it. NO OTHER reason makes sense. If any coach has a feel for the moment there he goes power I and at the very worst play fakes it. There should have been a run up the middle on 3rd and 1 with either Tebow or Greene, and on 4th you do the same. If you can't get 1 yard on 2 plays after all that running you did prior you don't deserve to win the game anyways. This coaching staff has no balls.
    Blame that on Sanchez, he had the whole left side wide open, he could have run it in

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    ^this
    tebow would have been ideal in this situation
    a lot of ??? but ended up being execution again
    good thing chaz is still healthy...hes really contributing
    Plaxico > Schilens

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Blame that on Sanchez, he had the whole left side wide open, he could have run it in
    It was a timing throw, what do you mean Sanchez could have run it? That play was designed to go to Shilens right off the bat. The throw was there, Shilens just shortarmed the ball. The playcall was horrible because whn the team needed a big play absolutely the most, the last player in the world that should be dialed up is Shilens.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    It was a questionable play call, I agree, but if Schilens makes an effort on that play, it's a TD and we are all singing his praises.

It's funny fans hate it when the calls are conservative and hate it when they are too aggressive.
    Except he didn't make an 'effort' or a catch - and Tony seems to be the only one not aware that he can't or won't. How about calling a HIGH percentage play instead?

Even I knew this was a horrible call when I saw it, and was screaming, so you know it has to be bad.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    so when do the fire soprano thread start? and who do we want to replace him?? lol...p.s. will never happen unless sanchez is gone also..cant possibly see him w another coordinator?? no??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    I disagree with the majority here, and like Sparano. I think he has called pretty good games for the most part with the limited talent he has.

In general the patriots are built to stop the run. They have a terrible pass defense. But they stop the run better then we run the ball. If the jets were in a run formation who can guarantee we don't lose yardage on the play?

The slant is marks best pass by far. It was wide open and the play wasn't executed properly but it should have been a td. Yes perhaps it should have been to kerly but we have limited options. Going up against the patriots dime guy is usually a good idea.

I can't fault sparano for this. The ball hit the wrs hands in the end zone. We had guys wide open all night. The run game has improved. Sanchez faced very little pressure all night. We tried deep, intermediete, and short stuff. Sparano has done a really good job for the most part, I like him.
    I wanted Tebow in there as I wanted Jets to go for it thinking 2 downs
    I agree with you on Sparano, I think he's doing more with less more quickly than Shoddy. People forget that Shoddy had 6 years to implement his offense.
    This is Sparanos 1st game with a full set of players.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I wanted Tebow in there as I wanted Jets to go for it thinking 2 downs
    I agree with you on Sparano, I think he's doing more with less more quickly than Shoddy. People forget that Shoddy had 6 years to implement his offense.
    This is Sparanos 1st game with a full set of players.
    Not even. No Santonio. Of course, it's debatable whether that's a positive or a negative.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    It was a questionable play call, I agree, but if Schilens makes an effort on that play, it's a TD and we are all singing his praises.

It's funny fans hate it when the calls are conservative and hate it when they are too aggressive.
    aggressive doesn't mean smart Ray. Come on dude if you're going to pass at least play fake ... watch that ENTIRE drive unfold ... no team was more set up for a play fake than the Pats were. We come out on Shotgun? Its just not smart at all .... when u come out in shotgun the defense is now playing pass all the way now and the linebackers now have enough time to react on the dive. Its just plain stupid ... linebackers could play looser and the DB's are now prepared for pass .... its stupid lol. If we come out jumbo and mark bootlegs he's either walking in or throwing a TD to the 2nd or 3rd TE ... at worst someone drops a pass in their hands or sanchez pump fakes and gets stopped trying to run ... at best ... its an easy TD for Sanchez running it in or an easy toss. The Pats have up 4 3rd and short runs in that drive ... they were LOADED for run.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    this isn't madden dude ... he's not looking for running lanes on a passing play call ... SMH ... lol ...WTF

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scotty did that crap all the time in short yardage. I would scream at the TV, I can understand passing, but if you are going to do it, at least do it from under center so the D has to think run, and run play action.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree with the majority here, and like Sparano. I think he has called pretty good games for the most part with the limited talent he has.

In general the patriots are built to stop the run. They have a terrible pass defense. But they stop the run better then we run the ball. If the jets were in a run formation who can guarantee we don't lose yardage on the play?

The slant is marks best pass by far. It was wide open and the play wasn't executed properly but it should have been a td. Yes perhaps it should have been to kerly but we have limited options. Going up against the patriots dime guy is usually a good idea.

I can't fault sparano for this. The ball hit the wrs hands in the end zone. We had guys wide open all night. The run game has improved. Sanchez faced very little pressure all night. We tried deep, intermediete, and short stuff. Sparano has done a really good job for the most part, I like him.
    I'm mostly with you here. I didn't happen to love the play call but you can't micro manage as a fan. Play calling is done with a larger view - unless something absolutely is indefensible, you can't say that a specific call was wrong. In this instance, as much as I may not have liked it, it very easily could have worked.

And overall, I think Sparano has done a yeoman's effort with all the injuries both in the preseason and now. Being that we have Tebow (for better or worse), I'd like to see him a bit more and a bit more creativity, but that's not a major issue for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Scotty did that crap all the time in short yardage. I would scream at the TV, I can understand passing, but if you are going to do it, at least do it from under center so the D has to think run, and run play action.
    As a fundamental rule, I agree with this. At least give the appearance that you may run the ball. I'd have less of a problem with passing by the goal line if it was done from under center.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    they were ramming it right down the pats throat. should have given it to hilliard 2x, they would have got that 1 yard.

sure sanchez made mistakes but geez.
    Almost 1 week later and I still can't understand it. Why did you slash Jets wrists like that Sparano. CS chickened out on that play and Jets paid the price in the end.

Shameful way to go out. Jets left yardage and points on the field, which would have won the game. Totally inexplicable.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    They run it there its a touchdown, at worst they get the 1st and have another 3 tries to get the touchdown. That right there Could have been the game

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Fair point, but inside the five when you must have a TD, who do you trust to get it done, Tebow or Schilens?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    i understand all the critisism of this playcall but, Sparano is a HUGE upgrade compared to schotty. Last season we didn't attempt 1 single long ball vs Pats. Against James Ihedigbo??? Sparano ain't gonna be the best but, I think his gameplanning and play designs are at least up to par with NFL standards. Play design and gameplanning is a BIG reason Schotty had Sanchez suckin.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by endgameeugenics View Post
    i understand all the critisism of this playcall but, Sparano is a HUGE upgrade compared to schotty. Last season we didn't attempt 1 single long ball vs Pats. Against James Ihedigbo??? Sparano ain't gonna be the best but, I think his gameplanning and play designs are at least up to par with NFL standards. Play design and gameplanning is a BIG reason Schotty had Sanchez suckin.

IMO, Schotty sucked because he failed to do anything about the OL and Bill Callahan.

Schotty lacked the Napa know-how needed to diagnose and fix the broken parts.

The plays were there to be made. We left a ton of yards and points on the field because we didn't execute the small things.

If Brick did as much as touch Ike Taylor on 3rd & 17 and not stand around like a dumbfuk, the Jets go to Arlington ... Super Bowl XLV.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stats

http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2012/10/...p-improvement/

One reason for the optimism is that while the Jets couldn’t keep Tom Brady in check when it counted, yielding a pair of 54-yard drives to Stephen Gostkowski field goals to pull the game out, they showed for the first time that, as imperfect as the offense sometimes was, it finally outgained the Patriots. The final tally was 403 yards to 381. Not a wide margin, yet perhaps significant since the Patriots had outgained the Jets in 17 of the previous 18 games in the series, by an average of 89 yards a game.
    Additionally, the Jets cleared 400 yards of offense for the first time under coordinator Tony Sparano, in fact for the first time in 20 games
    since they last visited that figure at Oakland in last year’s Game 3. And we’re not sure what this says about reaching 400 in this day of NFL football, but the last time the Jets gained 400 against the Patriots was in the bad old year of 1996, when they put up 422 yards.
    Not a perfect game in terms of a few play calls I disagreed with, but it's hard to dispute that Sparano is a good playcaller and coach on the sideline