Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What we now know

What we now know

1.Rex deserves to be back as coach in 2013. I have no idea how the season will turn out, as we have games that could go either way, but the players are fighting which is what his job is. He is also starting (and it should have happened sooner) to go younger and get away from “his guys” when they don’t produce, which is key.

2.We have young talent, especially on defense. All the people wanting to call guys busts after 5 games, need to slow down. Seeing the change in the defense with demario and coples in there is a very positive development and this is with our first and second string NTs out. Any Dline combination (4-3, 3-4) that has Wilkerson, coples and Ellis on it is a good thing, and coples ability has helped Wilkerson play better as well. Davis should be a starter the rest of the way and will be a leader of this defense and team. Antonio Allen has also shown quite a bit for a 7th round pick.
    3.Kerley is a real player, and if we want to rip Tanny for his drafts, we should also give him credit. At this point, kerley is arguably our best offensive player after mangold.

4.Hill’s drop was beyond awful and hopefully wont impact him in the long term, but “the drops” have plagued him throughout college which is very concerning. That being said, our offense is completely different when he is on the field; he pushes the safeties back, opening things underneath for keller and kerley and even the running game (if we had a back that could actually get to the 2nd or 3rd level).

5.Offensively in the second half, I hope we can get both mcknight and powell more carries. Lex Hilliard (and a healthy hill) has great improved our running game and there are opportunities for our backs not named greene, to break big runs.

6.Sanchez’s lack of “game feel” is really awful. The sack he took was so atrocious, that its amazing this is his 4th year. When he makes a mistake, it always is at the worst possible time for the team and for whatever reason results in a big play for the opponent. That being said, he is the QB here for 2012 and 2013 and aside from missing wide open hill in the EZ, he played pretty well yesterday. I just don’t know how he can make “the leap” at this point, as the problems he has are simply things that you cant teach.

7.As for this season, I honestly believe Rex is developing a real “TEAM” here, which is why I think they can make a run in the 2nd half. Losing holmes was a god send for the locker room and losses like yesterday can either make or break a team and a season, and for some reason I think it could help solidify what appears to be building in the locker room.

Guys like reuland, hiliard, bell, and demario are scrapp players who are out there giving there all. Keller has been blocking better then ive seen before and really fought for a couple balls yesterday. Even Cro (who I have never been a big fan of) is playing great, saying the right things, and leading during the week. Should we have won yesterday, absolutely, but that is still on the road at NE, which is no easy task, and we kept fighting. Miami at home is a HUGE game and I expect us to really come out swinging.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

6.Sanchez’s lack of “game feel” is really awful. The sack he took was so atrocious, that its amazing this is his 4th year. When he makes a mistake, it always is at the worst possible time for the team and for whatever reason results in a big play for the opponent. That being said, he is the QB here for 2012 and 2013 and aside from missing wide open hill in the EZ, he played pretty well yesterday. I just don’t know how he can make “the leap” at this point, as the problems he has are simply things that you cant teach.
    Good post.

This isn't a game where we can outright bash Sanchez, but this point is what says to me he'll never make it. I posted the same thing in the Hampur: He doesn't know when to take a sack and when to throw it away. That sack could have ended the game just because he didn't throw it away. It's mind boggling to be giving up a sack in that context and out of the pocket: Throw it away!

The game ending sack/fumble again because of lack of awareness. WTF was he trying to do while falling down with 2 guys on him and the game on the line.

All that said, he did good...but in the end he should have done better.

Great points.
    I would add that this team is much better without Santonio Holmes. The guy is such a cancer and the team plays better without his presence. Pittsburgh knew what they were doing when they unloaded him for just a 5th. I know its prohibitive on the cap to cut him, but i want this guy nowhere near the team from here on out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Another thing we're learning: We can survive without Revis

Banned
    Sanchez is so frustrating to watch. He'll put together some nice drives, making some great throws. And then he'll take stupid sacks when he can throw the ball away. Or he'll underthrow a wide open Stephen Hill.

He's so f*cking inconsistent.

All Pro
    I also hope that Hill wont have any lingering problems with drops or even has a mental scar because of the big one he had yesterday. What I like though was how he celebrated the field goal and then went right back down to the bench. You could tell he was feeling bad that he let the team down and that is a great sign for him moving forward. He is far from a diva receiver and cares about winning more than anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Sanchez is so frustrating to watch. He'll put together some nice drives, making some great throws. And then he'll take stupid sacks when he can throw the ball away. Or he'll underthrow a wide open Stephen Hill.

He's so f*cking inconsistent.
    The most fustrating thing is that we need him to be a "game manager" yet managing the game is arguably his worst talent. He has absolutely no clue what is going on in the big picture.

He made some great throws yesterday, and if you just looked at his line, would think he is far from the problem. But he simply makes too many huge mistakes that I dont see how this is going to change with more time. You either "feel the game" or you dont. It cant be fixed with reps.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I also hope that Hill wont have any lingering problems with drops or even has a mental scar because of the big one he had yesterday. What I like though was how he celebrated the field goal and then went right back down to the bench. You could tell he was feeling bad that he let the team down and that is a great sign for him moving forward. He is far from a diva receiver and cares about winning more than anything...
    It's part of his development. He's a very raw receiver who really shouldn't be a starter right now. The problem is he's so above and beyond the other wideouts that we have talent-wise, that we have no choice but to play him.

After the drop, they showed Hill on the sideline with Sanjay Lal, and you could read Lal's lips, telling him to catch the ball first and worry about running with it after.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 10-22-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Hill's attitude is excellent and he is a young guy who can hopefully help lead the offense, but Im very worried about the mental part of the drops too.

I simply dont know how he will fix something like this, but lets hope he can, because he has all the talent in the world.

On a side note for hill, his route running was questioned coming into the league....and it appears that was overblown. He had some great routes yesterday,and the TD vs the colts, was a great job of him digging, and just getting open for sanchez.

Looks like Sanchez was not 'coached up' for certain situations. After all the games that he has played it is on him to do better.

His play to me is just 'inconsistent' at this point with much room for improvement.

Still he gives the NY Jets the best chance to win and there is no other QB on the horizon

Add this to what we've learned -

Tony Sporano is about as bad as Bschott at play calls near the goal line. 3d and 1 from the 2.5 yard line and he calls the slant even though the Pats had been unable to stop the run. C'mon Man! in that situation you call a play designed to at least get the first down to make it first and goal.

Tebow was put on the Jets Roster against the wishes of Rex Ryan. There is no other explanation for fact that the Jets never go to Tebow on downs/distances where he clearly gives them the best chance for a successful play. Rex to Woody -- "You can force me to put him on the roster, but you can't force me to play him." Query, if MJD has a serious injury can the Jets get a draft pick out of the Jags for Tebow?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Another thing we're learning: We can survive without Revis
    Exactly.

We need a pass rush. Unfortunately the ACL has destroyed Revis' trade value. Only thing it did was make him cheap for next year.

One of my business partners from the south called me and asked me about the play calling particularly on that sequence. Extremely questionable was my answer (lol)

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Exactly.

We need a pass rush. Unfortunately the ACL has destroyed Revis' trade value. Only thing it did was make him cheap for next year.
    One LB short is where we are now

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Great points.
    I would add that this team is much better without Santonio Holmes. The guy is such a cancer and the team plays better without his presence. Pittsburgh knew what they were doing when they unloaded him for just a 5th. I know its prohibitive on the cap to cut him, but i want this guy nowhere near the team from here on out.
    I agree they are better with Holmes except he's not going anywhere just too much money invested there.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Add this to what we've learned -

Tony Sporano is about as bad as Bschott at play calls near the goal line. 3d and 1 from the 2.5 yard line and he calls the slant even though the Pats had been unable to stop the run. C'mon Man! in that situation you call a play designed to at least get the first down to make it first and goal.

Tebow was put on the Jets Roster against the wishes of Rex Ryan. There is no other explanation for fact that the Jets never go to Tebow on downs/distances where he clearly gives them the best chance for a successful play. Rex to Woody -- "You can force me to put him on the roster, but you can't force me to play him." Query, if MJD has a serious injury can the Jets get a draft pick out of the Jags for Tebow?
    The biggest issue here I don't think people are point to, forget that it was a pass...

he was in a SHOTGUN!!!!

The Jets were running down their throat, so Sparano takes the run off the table?????

even if he really wanted to pass it should have been a
    PLAY ACTION!

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Good post.

This isn't a game where we can outright bash Sanchez, but this point is what says to me he'll never make it. I posted the same thing in the Hampur: He doesn't know when to take a sack and when to throw it away. That sack could have ended the game just because he didn't throw it away. It's mind boggling to be giving up a sack in that context and out of the pocket: Throw it away!

The game ending sack/fumble again because of lack of awareness. WTF was he trying to do while falling down with 2 guys on him and the game on the line.

All that said, he did good...but in the end he should have done better.
    I think the play call was to roll out, if someone was wide open, make the throw, otherwise take the sack and cause ne to take a to. We probably lose that game if they have another to o. That last drive. I am not saying it was a good plan, but Rex and Tony did not seem upset about the sack, neither did Sanchez. It was a good play by the d and we still made the FG.

Sanchez has been doing everything possible to avoid sacks including stupid decisions and he went down without contest.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I agree they are better with Holmes except he's not going anywhere just too much money invested there.
    Agreed. But you dont have to play him. Maybe put him on PUP list next year. Keep that cancer away from this young team.

The biggest issue here I don't think people are point to, forget that it was a pass...

he was in a SHOTGUN!!!!

The Jets were running down their throat, so Sparano takes the run off the table?????

PLAY ACTION!
    i actually would have liked to see Tebow in that situation
    better than handing it to greene who will just run into the back of the oline

he was in a SHOTGUN!!!!

PLAY ACTION!
    I believe the Jets call it the SCHOTTGUN.