Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tweets, Updates and Info - 10.22.12

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Tweets, Updates and Info - 10.22.12

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
    Jets' rookie LB Demario Davis was in for a season-high 69 defensive snaps (90%) yesterday. Bart Scott in for only 9 of 78 snaps. #nyj

Jets' first-round pick Quinton Coples played played a season-high 70 snaps yesterday. He was in for 90% of the defensive snaps in loss to Pats #nyj

Left guard rotation: Matt Slauson played 53 of 82 snaps (62%). Vlad Ducasse played 29 snaps. #nyj

In most important game of the season to date, Tim Tebow was on the field for 5 of the Jets' 82 offensive snaps. (4 rushes for 12 yards) #nyj

Only 3 AFC teams w/ winning record. Mark Sanchez: "It's a weird year. There's a lot of losses out there. A lot of things can happen" #nyj

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting how our defense got better once we put in our younger guys more.

Crazy, ain't it?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1

Good to see D Davis out there, McG He's going to be a good one.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    NY Jets don't trust Mark Sanchez enough to put ball in his hands when game is on the line against New England Patriots

Offensive coordinator Tony Sparano – remember his pedigree is as an offensive line coach – didn't call pass plays when Sanchez was finally, after all these years, playing like a franchise quarterback.

FOXBOROUGH — The quiet in the Jets locker room was appropriate for the most excruciating regular-season loss in the four years Rex Ryan has been chasing Bill Belichick.

The Jets had a chance to take out the bully and assume control of the AFC East with an impressive comeback in a hostile environment, but they were left with pained looks knowing these chances don’t often come along more than once a season.

“It’s not a good feeling,” linebacker Calvin Pace said. “We missed a golden opportunity."

The Jets lost to the Patriots, 29-26, in overtime and it’s the kind of game that doesn’t go away quickly or easily and can ultimately ruin a season.

These are not the Patriots who won three Super Bowls from 2001-04 or lost Super Bowls to the Giants in two of the last five seasons. They were all but begging the Jets to beat them. But when the Jets had a chance to step on the Patriots’ throat after recovering a fumbled kickoff at the Patriots 18 with 2:01 left after they had tied the game on Nick Folk’s 43-yard field goal, they literally ran scared of Mark Sanchez just when he was tearing apart New England’s pass defense.

Even though the Jets are depleted without Darrelle Revis, their best player, and Santonio Holmes, their only accomplished playmaker, Sunday was their chance to take out the Patriots.

Ultimately it came down to the Jets leaving points on the field and too much time on the clock at the end of regulation. Folk’s field goal had brought the Jets even after they trailed by 10 in the fourth quarter. Now they were set up inside the New England 20. The goal: Get a touchdown, or at least a first down before a field goal, and drain as much time off the clock as possible to avoid Brady having much time or any timeouts.

“Things were looking good,” Sanchez said.

Even though Sanchez was 9-for-10 for 93 yards on a touchdown drive earlier in the fourth quarter and might have gotten more than a field goal on the drive preceding the fumbled kickoff if rookie Stephen Hill hadn’t dropped a wide-open pass at the 12 on third down, offensive coordinator Tony Sparano – remember his pedigree is as an offensive line coach – literally took the ball out of Sanchez’s hands when he was finally, after all these years, playing like a franchise quarterback.

Shonn Greene was temporarily sidelined after taking a big hit, so the Jets were without their best runner. On first down, Sparano put in Tim Tebow for just the fourth time in the game. He ran for two yards and the clocked stopped for the two-minute warning. On second down, Joe McKnight ran for one yard. Belichick used his first timeout. On third down, Sanchez was rolling out looking for Jeremy Kerley and saw him fell down.

He took a 10-yard sack rather than throw the ball away, forcing Belichick to call his second timeout.

Folk then kicked another 43-yard field goal to give the Jets a 26-23 lead. There was still 1:37 left. Way too much time for Brady.

When Ryan was asked if, had he the chance to do it again, he would have taken a shot on that possession, he said, “I think in hindsight, being the fact that we lost the game, you’d try anything. But at the time, we did try to throw it. On third down, we thought we could make a play, but unfortunately they ended up making a good play.”

But here was the problem: Where was the shot into the end zone? Where was the killer instinct? Where was a pass play on first or second down designed to get a first down? Sparano knew Belichick had all his timeouts and the two-minute warning. Unless the Jets picked up a first down, they were not going to run out the clock. Remember the Patriots are awful defending the pass.

Instead, the Jets took a measly 24 seconds off the clock. Brady drove New England 54 yards for Stephen Gostkowksi’s 43-yard field goal on the final play of regulation to send the game into OT. Brady had another 54-yard drive to open OT to set up another field goal. Then Sanchez left the ball on the ground when he was sacked when the Jets were moving. They needed a field goal to keep the game going or a touchdown to win it.

Sanchez played one of those games that can either get Ryan into the playoffs or get him fired. The QB is so ridiculously inconsistent. He goes through stretches when he outplays the great Brady, yet in the same game he plays so poorly you wonder when Ryan is finally going to change the channel and tune in Tebow Time.

Sanchez underthrew a wide-open Hill at the goal line in the second quarter and was picked off. He fumbled on the final play of the game when he absolutely had to protect the ball to keep the game alive.

The Jets were heartbroken after the game. They had the ball at the New England 18 with a chance to win it. Their quarterback was outplaying Brady, but the coaches couldn’t get it out of their mind that he was still Mark Sanchez.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1189136

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Interesting how our defense got better once we put in our younger guys more.

Crazy, ain't it?
    Exactly.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Sparano decides to throw it inside the 3 yard line instead of running it. We get 3 instead of 7.

Hill drops a 1st down pass with 2 minutes left. We get 3 instead of either 7 or running the clock down to about 0:05 and kicking the FG.

Then Rex's vaunted D can't keep a team from going 60 yards in less than 1 minute and 30 seconds.

I blame Sanchez.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we're finally seeing the "changing of the guard" from Rex' older, slower boys to the younger, faster newbies who can produce.

Also liked seeing what Lex could do with the rock. Had a few nice runs when given the ball. Good pickup.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    So Sparano decides to throw it inside the 3 yard line instead of running it. We get 3 instead of 7.

Hill drops a 1st down pass with 2 minutes left. We get 3 instead of either 7 or running the clock down to about 0:05 and kicking the FG.

Then Rex's vaunted D can't keep a team from going 60 yards in less than 1 minute and 30 seconds.

I blame Sanchez.
    AGAIN!!! Like many games over the course of Rex's 3+ seasons here his D can't close the game out for a W!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
    On drive after kickoff TO, Kerley lost footing on double move at 5-yd line when Sanchez was looking for him on 3rd down. NYJ settled for a FG

Mark Sanchez was 16 for 20 for 190 yards & 1 TD (on a 92-yard drive in which he went 9 for 10) in 2nd half & OT before gm-ending fumble #nyj

Smallest Jet -- Isaiah Trufant -- got big-time playing time yesterday. He played season-high 69 of team's 82 snaps (88%) vs Pats' up-tempo O

Rich Cimini @RichCimini
    Jets defense went soft. Brady was 9-for-10, 101 yds when Jets rushed only 3, including 5-for-5 on final 2 drives, per @ESPNStatsInfo.

Patriots blew a 10-point, 4th Q lead for the second straight week -- first time ever, according to Elias. #Jets
    Last edited by AbstraKt; 10-22-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    In this game we displayed most of our weak areas:

Our D can't get a stop when they need to. 4 years and still can't cover a TE or generate a pass rush.

Our QB is woefully inconsistent and has piss poor fundamentals. No feel, no awareness at crucial junctures.

Our OC is not a good play caller. Schotty with sunglasses.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AbstraKt View Post
    Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
    On drive after kickoff TO, Kerley lost footing on double move at 5-yd line when Sanchez was looking for him on 3rd down. NYJ settled for a FG
    I saw that on Mike & Mike. Until I see a wide shot that will show me when the slip took place, I'm not sure I can give a judgment. I'm assuming Mark was about to hit him before the slip, and then Mark pumped to give him a second to get up.

I don't know.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
    NFL did examine clock operator issue on kickoff with 2:06 left in regulation of Jets-Pats +found there was no improper handling of clock

Clock started when McCourty field kick and stopped at 2:01 as field judge was signaling to stop, according to NFL. #nyj

Looked as if clock didn't start until McCourty reached 5yd line +stopped prematurely after Jets recovered, but NFL concluded no wrongdoing

Patriots had the benfit of what effectively was an extra timeout with the clock stoppage at 2:01 after Jets recovered fumble on kickoff

According to the NFL, clock operator stopped the clock as the field judge was signaling to stop the clock. (It did stop before the whistle IMO)
    Last edited by AbstraKt; 10-22-2012 at 10:35 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
    NFL did examine clock operator issue on kickoff with 2:06 left in regulation of Jets-Pats +found there was no improper handling of clock

Clock started when McCourty field kick and stopped at 2:01 as field judge was signaling to stop, according to NFL. #nyj

Looked as if clock didn't start until McCourty reached 5yd line +stopped prematurely after Jets recovered, but NFL concluded no wrongdoing
    They should probably take down the video from their website, then.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    They should probably take down the video from their website, then.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
    TE Jeff Cumberland has a dislocation of right hand, per source. He will miss Dolphins game. Jets hope he will be back after bye week. #nyj

NFL finds no improper act by Belichick after Hernandez fumble/nonfumble, I'm told. League found no evidence that BB threw the challenge flag.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
    TE Jeff Cumberland has a dislocation of right hand, per source. He will miss Dolphins game. Jets hope he will be back after bye week. #nyj

NFL finds no improper act by Belichick after Hernandez fumble/nonfumble, I'm told. League found no evidence that BB threw the challenge flag.
    Cumberland being hurt is addition by subtraction IMO. Reuland isnt much worse of a receiver, and he is a better blocker which we need.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I saw that on Mike & Mike. Until I see a wide shot that will show me when the slip took place, I'm not sure I can give a judgment. I'm assuming Mark was about to hit him before the slip, and then Mark pumped to give him a second to get up.

I don't know.
    yeah, I was there. Kerley slipped and it threw off the timing of the play. The pump was due to the slip. Maybe someone who has ALL 22 access can post that play

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    +1

Good to see D Davis out there, McG He's going to be a good one.
    Was he out there b/c he's quicker and better than Scott....or did Scott have some sort of injury.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    NY Jets don't trust Mark Sanchez enough to put ball in his hands when game is on the line against New England Patriots

Offensive coordinator Tony Sparano remember his pedigree is as an offensive line coach didn't call pass plays when Sanchez was finally, after all these years, playing like a franchise quarterback.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1189136

yet in the same game he plays so poorly you wonder when Ryan is finally going to change the channel and tune in Tebow Time.
    WHAT THE HELL IS THIS CONSTANT OBSESSION WITH TEBOW?? IF HE WAS IN, THIS GAME WOULD BE OVER AT HALFTIME!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    Was he out there b/c he's quicker and better than Scott....or did Scott have some sort of injury.
    Also a valid point. Let's just how Rex is finally doing what needs to be done.