Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you willing to give Revis the money he wants ?

If you're not paying him because you think you can get a 1st and a 3rd for the guy, fine. I can buy that argument. I would argue you on that point considering who the **** is trading a 1st and a 3rd for a guy who A) Is coming off an ACL injury and B) Is going to need a huge payday, but I'll humor you considering there's at least some benefit of the doubt.

To let him walk without compensation though is pure insanity. We're not better off without Revis.....

Hall Of Fame
    At this point the best thing to do is let him come back and play next year. I do not see him holding out off an injury. Then try to trade him after the season. At that point I would gladly take a first rounder, if someone is dumb enough. I would also be willing to take a 2nd rounder but would try to make it conditional so that it can become a first rounder. He is not worth paying. Pass rush is more important. Our play without him serves as evidence.

He can't hold out next year...

has to play and reprove himself, so this isn't relevant till 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    If you're not paying him because you think you can get a 1st and a 3rd for the guy, fine. I can buy that argument. I would argue you on that point considering who the **** is trading a 1st and a 3rd for a guy who A) Is coming off an ACL injury and B) Is going to need a huge payday, but I'll humor you considering there's at least some benefit of the doubt.

To let him walk without compensation though is pure insanity. We're not better off without Revis.....
    We're not better without him, but we're clearly not any worse. So if he wants big money, why keep him?

This is hypothetical, of course, because we don't know if he'll be reasonable or not. But, considering his "me first" attitude, I doubt he will be.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    We're not better without him, but we're clearly not any worse.
    Yes, we are. We're 5-2 right now with Revis.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Except the Jets will restructure Cromartie and extend him. They can keep both if they want to.
    By restructure you just mean switching salary to SB, you don't expect Cro to take a pay cut after playing as well as he has do you.

If you want to pay 22 mill a year for two corners, yes it can be done. but that is 20% of the cap for two players neither one a qb.

You can structure contracts and put off paying the piper, but sooner or later the bill comes due. This year the jets are paying 17 mill for Scott and Pace due to past restructures. Due to that the jets could not get FA that they would have normally pursued.

I mean the pats could have kept Samuel and Seymour too, but hard choices need to be made so that you can be flexible and have money when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    At this point the best thing to do is let him come back and play next year. I do not see him holding out off an injury. Then try to trade him after the season. At that point I would gladly take a first rounder, if someone is dumb enough. I would also be willing to take a 2nd rounder but would try to make it conditional so that it can become a first rounder. He is not worth paying. Pass rush is more important. Our play without him serves as evidence.
    you can't trade him after next season, he has the option to declare himself a FA. Why would he not do so? This way he goes to what ever team he wishes and the team is not hampered by also giving up picks.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Two things that need to be understood before posting in this thread....

1) Revis cannot be franchised next year.

2) He effectively is a FA after next year - the remaining years on his contract (after 2013) are merely a mirage. They ain't there.

These facts may not jive with your plan, but they are indeed facts.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    you can't trade him after next season, he has the option to declare himself a FA. Why would he not do so? This way he goes to what ever team he wishes and the team is not hampered by also giving up picks.
    Ya - the best we can likely get in 'trade' for Revis would be a #2 pick and maybe a later year 3/4. That's not much better than we'd do in a FA comp pick so I don't think this idea has any treads on it.

I'd like to see the Jets sign Revis if his price can reflect a bit of the reality of the situation.

The draft - rookies - have become cheaper than they used to be - and I think part of thought process has to be 'where can we have a cheap, productive player? To me, a RB, D-lineman or ILB is where you can get good production. The defensive backfield [CB, S] is a spot where experience and teamwork really count - so I'd be loathe to break it up so easily.

Yes, we are. We're 5-2 right now with Revis.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Trade him for two 1's or a 1 and a 2.
    I am all for it! What could we get for Suckchez?

I would be down trading for picks. Everyone keeps saying we need more talent on the offensive side of the ball. This is the way to get it. The secondary isnt the problem with the defense this year. The run defense is. You wouldnt want to add Marcus Latimore , whatever first round RT/G, and a QB/WR for someone that even when gone, were still getting good play?

Cromartie is better without him. He is a me first player demonstrated by his antics. I would love to keep him, but not for a QB salary.

Assuming he comes back healthy (big assumption, but for the sake of argument let's say that's the case), why wouldn't we trade cro and pay revis 12 million a year. Cro is being paid 8 million a year, and I would think Revis > 4 million a year better than him. Now if Revis is lookin for a 16 mill a year deal, then you reverse course and try to move him, cause Cro can definitely hold the fort. The issue to me is not the price of Revis, but rather the over investment at corner. 12 mill isn't bad for one player in the secondary, but when you start talking 20 million being put into the position it's a problem. Rex also seems to have forgotten that the success he had in 09 was due to overwhelming pressure up front AND having the oppositions #1 totally locked down. Peyton Manning owned us cause we couldn't get heat on him upfront with anyone. Loading up the coverage doesn't change that. If you give any QB all day they will beat the coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Don't see the humor in pointing out that adding the best defensive player in the NFL could have easily tipped the sales in both the Houston and New England games, which were both close games we were a play or two away from winning.

You think Revis could have forced an incompletion in that last minute game tying drive yesterday? Yeah, I thought so.

This notion that Revis hasn't made this team better the last few years is simply laughable man.

Don't see the humor in pointing out that adding the best defensive player in the NFL could have easily tipped the sales in both the Houston and New England games, which were both close games we were a play or two away from winning.

You think Revis could have forced an incompletion in that last minute game tying drive yesterday? Yeah, I thought so.

This notion that Revis hasn't made this team better the last few years is simply laughable man.
    8-8 last year with him. Yeah, thought so.

Houston? Cro shut down Johnson while Houston focused on the run.
    9ers? They rely on their run game and D, not Smith and their receivers.
    Pats? Yea, Revis would take his guy away. Good thing they don't have an assload of other receivers...oh wait

Now hush. We have more pressing needs than a CB.

I love Revis but it's pretty clear that Revis being here or not here hasn't made much of a difference. This team is still very good against the pass.

3 answer:
    No
    Hell No
    and NFW

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Assuming he comes back healthy (big assumption, but for the sake of argument let's say that's the case), why wouldn't we trade cro and pay revis 12 million a year. Cro is being paid 8 million a year, and I would think Revis > 4 million a year better than him. Now if Revis is lookin for a 16 mill a year deal, then you reverse course and try to move him, cause Cro can definitely hold the fort. The issue to me is not the price of Revis, but rather the over investment at corner. 12 mill isn't bad for one player in the secondary, but when you start talking 20 million being put into the position it's a problem. Rex also seems to have forgotten that the success he had in 09 was due to overwhelming pressure up front AND having the oppositions #1 totally locked down. Peyton Manning owned us cause we couldn't get heat on him upfront with anyone. Loading up the coverage doesn't change that. If you give any QB all day they will beat the coverage.
    The biggest thing is the difference in compensation we would get between the two. Revis on the trading block would create a Manning-like frenzy, Cro not so much.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Only the QB position should command such a mega contract.

Revis isnt even the QB of the Defense.