Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morning after: moral victory and optimism

All Pro

Morning after: moral victory and optimism

That loss really hurts, and I know there is no such thing as a moral victory... but there are some positives to take away from this.

-the run game is back for real. The Colts game was no fluke.
    -offense movedup and down the field.
    -Kerley is developing into a real player.
    -Sanchez looked in control in crunch time.
    -the D played well again, aside from when Rex put them in prevent.
    -McKnight is a legit RB who deserves more carries.
    -Hill, despite the killer drop, has skills and is getting better as a route runner

last but not least
    -the Pats are very average and they once again gave away a big 4th quarter lead.

I would add...

Young guys on defense are playing a lot - Jet's are no longer a slow defense.

thats all we have for the last few years...moral f'ing victories. wake me up when they translate into real victories...tnx.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    thats all we have for the last few years...moral f'ing victories. wake me up when they translate into real victories...tnx.
    Wow is this the biggest blind "what have you done for me in the last 10 minutes" statement of the century. Those 4 playoff wins were moral? How about the last minute wins against Cleveland, Detroit, Houston in 2010? Are we not including those as being in the last few years?

I get that you are pissed about the game yesterday - so am I. We outplayed them and should have won, and that always stings more than a blowout. But take a minute to think about what you just said. These are not the Jets of Kotite/Coslet.

Good teams only care about wins and losses.

Bad teams care about moral "victory" losses.

Jets Insider VIP
    Maybe you should stick to rooting for your Mets who have had many more "real victories the last few years....

You appear to have the memory of your average mayfly

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

This is true, and the Jets are a bad team right now.

But I think this post is highlighting the reasons why the team might be able to get it together and become a good team, maybe even before the end of the year.

Hill, Kerley, and the continuous improvements in the running game on a week-to-week basis makes this a much better team than the one we saw in Weeks 2-4.

All Pro

Did you bother to read the post?

I disagree with this. Maybe "moral victory" is the wrong term, because a loss is a loss. But this loss makes you feel better about the rest of the season. No one will be talking about the #1 pick in the draft anymore. I'm sure if you asked everyone our predicted record before and after this game, it went up.

At this point, I think we're going to be 9-7 / 10-6, fighting for a wildcard (maybe even division if NE keeps struggling) up until the final weeks. Are we winning the super bowl? No. But it looks like our young guys are contributing more, and it looks like experience gained this year will clearly help next year.

So - we're not as good this year as we hoped we'd be, but it looks like next year will be better. It is what it is.

Eh? Just what did the running game do? 106 yards on 32 carries, it was sucky.

Yes but left a lot plays on the field.

Yes, he looked very good and he and Sanchez have some chemistry.

No. He took a potentially disastrous sack on the last drive in reg time. He fumbled the ball on the ot drive. He had a very good game for him but it still includes a half dozen terrible players per game.

Agreed. I was enraged at Rex and Pettine on that last drive.

Agreed, though I still don't like the guy. He's soft. He runs out of bounds too often however he is our one guy in the back field that can spring something so he needs more touches.

-Hill, despite the killer drop, has skills and is getting better as a route runner

Agreed. I do wonder where the WR coaching is with this guy though as he is a body catcher not a hands catcher.

last but not least
    -the Pats are very average and they once again gave away a big 4th quarter lead.

Agreed, the Pats are going no where this year. They will get obliterated against teams with really good offenses.

Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    I disagree with this. Maybe "moral victory" is the wrong term, because a loss is a loss. But this loss makes you feel better about the rest of the season. No one will be talking about the #1 pick in the draft anymore. I'm sure if you asked everyone our predicted record before and after this game, it went up.

At this point, I think we're going to be 9-7 / 10-6, fighting for a wildcard (maybe even division if NE keeps struggling) up until the final weeks. Are we winning the super bowl? No. But it looks like our young guys are contributing more, and it looks like experience gained this year will clearly help next year.

So - we're not as good this year as we hoped we'd be, but it looks like next year will be better. It is what it is.
    +1
    Davis, Coples, Hill, Kerley, maybe Rueland, Dowtin, maybe we get lucky with Grimes?
    I'm not giving up on this season!
    Beat Miami!
    4-4 at the break
    I think our defense can stop Wilson in Seattle, can we score enough, who knows?
    But maybe just maybe we get the Pats at home on Thanksgiving for 1st place
    It can happen.
    AFC is wide open, especially with Steelers at 3-3 now.
    3 winning teams & we are only a game behind in the division.
    Like they say it's a marathon not a sprint & I think Jets will get better on offense & defense over the bye week.
    Like a small mini camp but with some young hungry players.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    That loss really hurts, and I know there is no such thing as a moral victory... but there are some positives to take away from this.

last but not least
    Agreed.

-sparano fixed the run game.
    -kerley is our Antonio brown
    -the defense still looks good
    -coples and Wilkerson played well.
    -Rex had his team playing harder then ever.
    -hill has a ton of potential and is doing better then most rookies like Blackmon
    -McKnight might get his shot soon due to injury.
    -we were the better team.

Sooner or later we are going to get a real qb and we will be a legit superbowl contender year in and year out. I only hope that happens before Rex gets run out of town.

We are going to hit some tough roads the next few weeks. I'm still predicting a few losses coming up. It's a really tough part of our schedule. A lot of our offseason predictions are going to be based on these next few weeks......

Your reading comprehension is poor. OP isn't saying we're a good team; he's saying we're taking steps towards BECOMING a good team.

All Pro

My God Fish....what is it with some of these guys and 'moral' victories. No such thing. And I'm sure the morale around Jets headquarters is high today, given they threw that game away.

Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    Agreed.

-sparano fixed the run game.
    -kerley is our Antonio brown
    -the defense still looks good
    -coples and Wilkerson played well.
    -Rex had his team playing harder then ever.
    -hill has a ton of potential and is doing better then most rookies like Blackmon
    -McKnight might get his shot soon due to injury.
    -we were the better team.

Sooner or later we are going to get a real qb and we will be a legit superbowl contender year in and year out. I only hope that happens before Rex gets run out of town.

We are going to hit some tough roads the next few weeks. I'm still predicting a few losses coming up. It's a really tough part of our schedule. A lot of our offseason predictions are going to be based on these next few weeks......
    and that fb looks like a keeper, hilliard. what a difference it is to have one who can block and run.

holmes shouldn't play next year for the jets. the offense is smoother w/o him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

or teams without their best player on offense and defense, and teams that not only play their opponent, but the refs as well

or teams playing their 4th string RB in a crucial situation

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Your reading comprehension is poor. OP isn't saying we're a good team; he's saying we're taking steps towards BECOMING a good team.
    Has nothing to do with comprehension pinky.

It's the same excuse making we get every year. Lose a game we should have won, and out come the "moral victory" folks and "it's a process" folks and "excuse, excuse, excuse" folks.

It's celebration of perpetual medicority.

Yesterdays loss was inexcusable. Pretty it up however much you need to get through the day, but when it comes down to it, the Same Old Jets did the Same Old Thing and **** the bed when they had a game in hand and won.

If thats a "moral victory" and a "step towards being a good team", well.....

How about if someone wakes you up with a bucket-full of urine?

Good lord.... Can we have more Cheese for this Whine? We seem to be running short....

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    or teams without their best player on offense and defense, and teams that not only play their opponent, but the refs as well

or teams playing their 4th string RB in a crucial situation
    Well ****, I guess you're just happy they fielded a team at all, eh Jon? With all that against them, they must have lost 43-0, right? They shouldn't even have showed up, right?

No, banged up is part of the NFL, and we still were the better team yesterday. And yet, we still lost, for the same old reasons.

Again, if choking is a "moral victory", then Jets Fans need to be a little less acceptant of abject failure IMO.

All League
    I have no morals.

So what exactly does yesterday's "victory" mean to me?