Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: we need a true #1 wr.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    "proves"?
    Hardly.
    He's a rook.
    Rookies make mistakes.
    He'll get much better.

You really need to stop with the absurdly over-extreme posts. Makes you look really dumb. Now that may be something you're accustomed to, but just some friendly advice here.
    Nevermind that, we had a #1 WR, he is now on IR, people are quick to forget that.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is why teams cant count on rookie WRs usually - check out how Blackmon and Floys are doing and they were both 1st rders...WRs usually take 3 years to develop. Injuries forced the Jets to rely on Hill so its baptism by fire. He'll make some plays and miss some - that miss was brutal but part of the learning process. If hes a keeper he'll learn from it and move on....

you can't teach his height and speed....hopefully he'll learn how to catch better. Cant realistically grade this guy though until year 3.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    All #1 's are capable, and do drop balls too.....the kid will get better.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    Welker as great as he is would not be the same guy with Sanchez throwing to him...Brady is that good
    I agree to a point however no QB can effectively throw to a covered WR....Welker typically is open, it's a two way street. Sanchez can hit those slant and cut routes.

Welker and Keller underneath with Holmes and Green (assuming he gets better). That ain't too shabby.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post

Welker and Keller underneath with Holmes and Green (assuming he gets better). That ain't too shabby.
    Welker can definitely get open. Hell, I'd take a flyer on him - but his strength really is when you hit him in stride - not something that Mark is good at. Too, I think Mark would get Welker killed over the middle . . .

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Need a QB and some help on the O-line.

I don't think we need more WR help, honestly.

We need a big time back who is a dual threat. If they can get McKnight healthy I have no idea why the guy doesn't get more playing time aside from shoddy blocking.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    1 drop and hill career is over.. This board is hilarious..
    Sanchez has sucked for years and people still defend him. Hill plays a great game(blocking, getting open consistently, only 1 drop) and he sucks.

Totally weird fan base. This guy has great potential, but is raw and we know this. He also makes very little money. He needs a year or two of seasoning...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's funny is how everyone forgets Sanchez under throws a wide open hill in the end zone that's even worse than the drop.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Need a QB and some help on the O-line.

I don't think we need more WR help, honestly.

We need a big time back who is a dual threat. If they can get McKnight healthy I have no idea why the guy doesn't get more playing time aside from shoddy blocking.
    carries the ball too high. McKnight is a serious fumble risk. Otherwise, I think he has the greatest playmaking ability of any back on the Jets roster.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    BRING BACK BRAYLON! WAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!

Seriously, man....This is ridiculous. HILL *NEEDS* MORE SEASONING/TIME/REPS/EXPERIENCE. The Kid is still pretty raw but he's slowly getting better especially since he was thrown straight into the fire.

This is what's known as Growing Pains, you know.....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    carries the ball too high. McKnight is a serious fumble risk. Otherwise, I think he has the greatest playmaking ability of any back on the Jets roster.
    I lump Flacco, Sanchez, and Alex Smith together into this ball of QB's who I call "they really suck but can appear decent if they have a great RB."

I don't buy any of them as guys who can win games and elevate players.

Hence, the biggest thing this roster has missed has been a strong RB or committee of RB's similar to what the Saints have with Sproles in passing downs and Ingram/Thomas in running downs.

I honestly like Hill, Kerley, and Holmes.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    hills crucial drop yesterday proves this. hes not a go to guy and hes not a clutch wr in any way. hes a #3 at best.

kerley is doing all he can and more give him props.
    Before I get into Hill, I completely agree about Kerley. He is a baller and had Tones exact skillet IMO, which makes his contract that more egregious in my mind.

Are u f*ing kidding me!?? Hill has one drop and he's a 3? That's idiotic. It was a classic case of taking his eye off the ball and making a move before he caught it. It sucks but this happens, JUST ASK GIZELLE WHAT SHE THINKS OF WELKER. Maybe the pats should have gotten rid of welker after that mishap

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i dont understand the argument about catching a football.

hill played college football at georgia tech. im assuming he had to catch the ball there to make the team. im also assuming he had to catch the ball in high school football as well.

catch the dam ball the throw was perfect you were wide open.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Drafted a "project" in the 2nd round...

they knew he couldn't catch, but spent a 2nd round pick on him...

That's just bad drafting truthfully.... Doesn't matter how tall and fast a guy is, if he has bad hands, he's going to burn you.

Stupid pick, but hey Tanny loves 2nd round "projects." See Vlad Ducasse...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by afesposit View Post
    they knew he couldn't catch, but spent a 2nd round pick on him...

That's just bad drafting truthfully.... Doesn't matter how tall and fast a guy is, if he has bad hands, he's going to burn you.

Stupid pick, but hey Tanny loves 2nd round "projects." See Vlad Ducasse...
    agree with you on this. we expected him to come in and be an instant upgrade. as mentioned floyd and blackmon arent doing squat and they had brilliant college careers.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hill's got a great attitude and has his head on straight. I think he will get better. Week 1 showed what he is capable of. His size, speed, strength, and leaping ability will make this kid a stud.

He's arguably the best of the rookie WR's this year, too.

Nobody's pointing that out.

Kendall Wright, Josh Gordon, and Alshon Jeffrey are the only other 3 who have made an impact at all, to be honest. Floyd can't get on the field, Blackmon's been terrible just getting open.

There's not a lot to complain about. He has the most upside out of every single guy on this list. And let's not forget Braylon was just as oops prone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    We have a #1.....'Tone'
    Oddly yes. Before his injury he was looking great. This team is fine at WR IMO. Do we need to replace our #4 guy in Chaz who was supposed to be a vet BU yes. Other then that we do have Holmes back next year. If we plan on bringing in anther WR I'd prefer it being anther draft pick because this upcoming draft looks great at WR. That and we could use an eventual replacement for Holmes. Woods will be there late in the 1st maybe 2nd, Quinton Patton, Marcus Davis, and Aaron Dobson are all guys I wouldn't mind in 2nd-3rd round. Honestly I've been drooling over Davis a while now and he may be a late 3rd or even 4th rounder. This team could be stacked at WR for years if they keep the path they have. Kerley and Hill both look pretty good. The more they play the better they will be. I fully expect the Jets to be looking at add a few more picks this draft. It is the only way they get under the cap next year. Pauha and Tebow should both be trade bate IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    hills crucial drop yesterday proves this. hes not a go to guy and hes not a clutch wr in any way. hes a #3 at best.

kerley is doing all he can and more give him props.
    YES, Hill still a rook!!!!! We needed a true Number 1 for two years now!!!

Indeed TO is better right now than every WR on this squad not named Kerley and that is telling!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 10-22-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hill is doing what rookie WRs do, they learn. The true failing was on Tanny for not addressing the vet WR position better. The position was thin in July, got worse in training camp with injuries, and has continued to be thin during the season. It took losing two starting WRs (Hill and Holmes) for Tanny to address the problem.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Hill is doing what rookie WRs do, they learn. The true failing was on Tanny for not addressing the vet WR position better. The position was thin in July, got worse in training camp with injuries, and has continued to be thin during the season. It took losing two starting WRs (Hill and Holmes) for Tanny to address the problem.
    when did tanny address the problem?

holmes is a poor excuse for a #1 wr.