Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Play calling on first down.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Play calling on first down.

I think the play calling during the whole game was bad, but especially on first down.

The Jets ran the ball 20 times on first down for 3.2 YPC. That includes two 13 yard runs as well.

The Jets threw the ball 15 times on first down and were 9-14 for 120 yards and one sack. They had 4 plays for over 20 yards on first down.

The numbers are a little skewed because the Jets passed the ball 4 consecutive times on first down on their final drive of the first half which started with about 3 minutes remaining. If you take that drive out of the equation the run/pass ratio is almost 2:1.

It was obvious the Pats were playing the run on first down, when the Jets did throw they were very successful.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, I dunno - I hear you - but I feel like my memory goes so far back where the Jets pass on 1st down, get an incompletion and BOOM it's three-and-out.

The Jet's don't have a good run game, so any running on 2nd-and-10 or 3rd-and-long is worrisome. Better to take our chances - mostly - with a run on 1st.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Hmm, I dunno - I hear you - but I feel like my memory goes so far back where the Jets pass on 1st down, get an incompletion and BOOM it's three-and-out.

The Jet's don't have a good run game, so any running on 2nd-and-10 or 3rd-and-long is worrisome. Better to take our chances - mostly - with a run on 1st.
    Except yesterday the Pats were begging for the Jets to throw on first down. Normally I would agree, and I think you should be as balanced as possible in this league, but given the Pats suspect secondary and the Jets having such success throwing on first down, I thought Sparano called an awful game.