Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: We Lost This Game Because Rex Ryan's Strategy Doesn't Work, Not Mark Sanchez

Jets Insider VIP
    The excuses you make for Sanchez put the former Penningtologists to shame.

And at least Chad was an effective QB when healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post

Pipe down SAR....you'll live longer.
    Defense did not lose that game.
    Its not even arguable.
    When Mark Sanchez left the field at 58:20 of a 60 minute game, the New York Jets had a 3 point lead.

Mark Sanchez was not on the field for the remaining 1:40 in which a scatback RB, a slot WR, and a TE ate our well-rested front seven and backfield alive.

"Defense did not lose that game."

Really.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    1. The Jets quarterback overcame a 10 point deficit and had a 3 point lead with 1:40 seconds left in the game.

___True ___False

2. The Jets have invested very heavily on the defense as that is the primary way we are supposed to win football games.

___True ___False

3. In the fabled 11-5 2010 season, Mark Sanchez bailed out the weaksauce defense and overcame 4th quarter deficits 5 times including Detroit, Cleveland, Denver, Houston, and Indianapolis in the playoffs.

___True ___False

4. Mark Sanchez has the worst assortment of receiving targets now than he ever has in his 3.5 seasons in New York, especially lacking a dump-off RB threat out of the backfield.

___True ___False

5. If Mark Sanchez were supported with as many high draft picks and free agents as the defense has been since 2009 we have a better likelihood of winning yesterday's game.

___True ___False

SAR I
    i agree with you, for the most part. when you look at how much of recent drafts have been devoted to defense, that unit should be superior.

when was the last time the jets defense won the game by making a key stop? they're never clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by Salz View Post
    SAR's arguments regarding this Rex/Sanchez dynamic rarely makes sense. We managed to get to two AFC title games with terrible QB production. He doesn't understand how difficult that is. Can anyone imagine what this teams record would be if Peyton Manning was QB? Or they'd at least be 1 or 2 wins better with some reasonable talent on offense.

SAR blames Rex for Sanchez's struggles and the lack of talent around him. Rex doesn't put the players on the field. He offers insight into personnel moves, that is all.

I believe SAR actually believes Rex convinced Tanny that they should ignore the offense. "Hey Mike, I only care about defense. Offensively, we just need to run the ball. So ignore the WR position." In actuality, it was Tanny who blew it by signing Plaxico and not unearthing any gems at the WR position. He also gave Rex Greene to be the ground and pound back, and he's not that good. Rex didn't enthusiastically endorse Wayne Hunter or Slauson. These are PERSONNEL decisions that Tanny makes the final call on.

Blaming Rex's philosophy for the lack of talent on the field is ridiculous. Rex has his flaws, quite a few of them, but SAR is completely off when he posts nonsense like this.
    Thanks for the history lesson.

Had Rex and Mike's drafting strategy panned out, perhaps we'd have the #1 defense in the NFL right now. It didn't. We don't. So instead of looking in the mirror, realizing that the 2009 and 2010 squads are a thing of the past and that they have to adapt after the debacle of 2011, they do nothing, same ol' Rex, keep drafting on D, keep taking questionable rookies, keep ignoring the offense as it falls apart from age.

What Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez did in '09 and '10 was fantastic. That was a lifetime ago. Going into the '12 season off of the awful '11 season with worse talent on offense is criminal. That's the issue. That's the epitaph on this season.

Rex and Mike blew it. Mark is being ignored. You are blaming the wrong people.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Salz View Post
    And there has been nothing wrong with drafting defensive players in the first round. The Giants have done it often and hit on quite a few. Why they're so much better on offense is because they have an accurate clutch QB and a bunch of WR's. One guy goes out, another solid guy steps in. Our depth at WR is poor and that's not Rex's fault.
    If the Jets and Giants merged into one team, not a single Jets offensive non-lineman starter would be starting for that team.

The Giants have fantastic WR's, are three-deep at RB, and have a TE that can stay healthy. Mark Sanchez used to be Mr. New York Clutch back in '09 and '10 when he had a decent set of tools to work with. The reason for Eli Manning's ascendance in that area is that he's got WR's and RB's that Mark can only dream of.

SAR I

Thanks for the history lesson.

Had Rex and Mike's drafting strategy panned out, perhaps we'd have the #1 defense in the NFL right now. It didn't. We don't. So instead of looking in the mirror, realizing that the 2009 and 2010 squads are a thing of the past and that they have to adapt after the debacle of 2011, they do nothing, same ol' Rex, keep drafting on D, keep taking questionable rookies, keep ignoring the offense as it falls apart from age.

What Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez did in '09 and '10 was fantastic. That was a lifetime ago. Going into the '12 season off of the awful '11 season with worse talent on offense is criminal. That's the issue. That's the epitaph on this season.

Rex and Mike blew it. Mark is being ignored. You are blaming the wrong people.

SAR I
    they kept drafting defense and preached running the ball, and then when other teams keyed on the jets running game, and they asked sanchez to win games all by himself, he didn't have braylon, LT or woody, trich or tj either. it was him, keller, greene and hunter and holmes. then sanchez gets flogged for every mistake he makes, even as the defense had its share of blunders. now, if the plan was to stack the offense with major weapons and win with offense, then yeah, sanchez is brutally at fault.

as bad as tanny's been, the thrust of the offense was from all his picks, hill, kerley, greene, keller and mcknight. sanchez too. these are more or less all the skill position guys the team has drafted in the past 4 years, and powell would have been in the mix if he'd been healthy.

When Mark Sanchez left the field at 58:20 of a 60 minute game, the New York Jets had a 3 point lead.

Mark Sanchez was not on the field for the remaining 1:40 in which a scatback RB, a slot WR, and a TE ate our well-rested front seven and backfield alive.

"Defense did not lose that game."

Really.

SAR I
    Two of the players you listed above - slot WR, and TE are pro-bowlers. The TE is the best in the league.

Oh, and the guy throwing the ball to those players - just a 3 time Sb champ, hall of famer, and leader of the #1 offense in the NFL going into that game.

If we let brandon weeden or ryan fitzpatrick drive on us then fine, your argument would make sense. But you give absolutely ZERO mention of who they were facing which ruins your whole arguement.

The loss isnt on the defense, and it isnt completely on sanchez. Sparano made a mistake calling a throw on the 1 yard line. Sanchez made a mistake on the INT throw to hill. Hill made a mistake on the drop. Special teams made a mistake on the Return. Brandon moore made a mistake getting beat on the fumble to end the game.

Its a team game - and there are a lot of fingers to point before you look at the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    The vaunted Ryan defense has a very bad habit of failing at the end of the game. You can delude yourself as much as you want, but the fact remains, that a good defense is there in crunch time.
    If you did a rough count of the games in the Ryan regime where his defense blew it late, it's about half our losses since 2009.

In fact, if you look at the 10,000 foot view of the Jets, the only difference between the 2009 and 2010 teams and the 2011 and 2012 teams is that when Rex's defense blows it late, Mark's offense doesn't have the horses to overcome the deficit.

What most don't remember about last year's 8-8 campaign is that there were 2 decisive games where the offense gave us a lead late that the defense blew:

Oakland (Jets had a 17-7 lead, give up 234 rushing yards)
    Denver (Jets lead 13-10, give up 99 yard TD drive at the gun)

If the defense wins those two games as they're supposed to, Jets are 10-6, Jets make the playoffs instead of the 9-7 Bengals, who knows how hot we might have been again.

Similarly, it was Mark Sanchez' heroics in 2010 that got us into the playoffs, these games having a defense that failed us, needing a miracle answer-back score each time:

Denver
    Detroit
    Cleveland
    Houston
    Indianapolis

If Mark Sanchez' doesn't deliver in the clutch, our 11-5 season is 7-9.

The chronic problem on the Rex Ryan New York Jets since the 2009 team is the DEFENSE. The only difference is that Mark had the playmakers and bailed them out in 2010, Mark couldn't bail them out in 2011 or 2012.

It's the defense, stupid.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by RevisCroWilson View Post
    Did rex sleep with your wife??
    Worse.

He's ruining my football team and scapegoating the best quarterback we've had since Joe Namath.

SAR I

Worse.

He's ruining my football team and scapegoating the best quarterback we've had since Joe Namath.

SAR I
    he is scapegoating him. it's the only way to take the blame off of himself. he's already fired one OC and put his buddy as the new OC. he also won't use tebow. the game is set up for sanchez to fail.

Worse.

SAR I
    I thought Vinny was the best QB we've had since Joe?

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I'VE said all along that having rookies and new folks at the skill positions would lead to frustrating drops and miscues.

If Hill holds that ball, game over.

/story
    Mark Sanchez played above his abilities with little talent around him yesterday.

The defense played below their abilities with lots of talent invested yesterday.

Special teams atoned for their KR TD by getting a fumble when it counted and letting us take the lead.

Mark Sanchez atoned for his first half duck by leading us on a 94 yard drive where he was 9 for 10 and should have been 10 for 10 to tie the score.

What the f-ck did the defense do? Let a scat back, a slot WR, and a TE march 60 yards in 90 seconds. Twice.

"Blame Mark Sanchez! A 3 point lead with 90 seconds left on the road against the best team in the AFC isn't good enough for this Rex Ryan defense!" Laughable.

SAR I

If the Jets and Giants merged into one team, not a single Jets offensive non-lineman starter would be starting for that team.

The Giants have fantastic WR's, are three-deep at RB, and have a TE that can stay healthy. Mark Sanchez used to be Mr. New York Clutch back in '09 and '10 when he had a decent set of tools to work with. The reason for Eli Manning's ascendance in that area is that he's got WR's and RB's that Mark can only dream of.

SAR I
    Brandon Jacobs was the leading RB, with 1009 yards and a TOTAL of 23 Playmaking catches out of the backfield.

Eli's top 3 Wide Receivers during the 2007 Season:
    Plax - 70 Catches
    Amani Toomer - 67 catches
    Sinorice Moss - 21 catches

He also lost his starting TE for the last couple games of the season and entire playoffs.

Real murderers row of talent on offense. Did you ever think maybe a good QB makes players better?

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I thought Vinny was the best QB we've had since Joe?
    At throwing picks? Absolutely no argument from me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by endgameeugenics View Post
    That situation calls for Sanchez to make NE burn a TO. Smart situational football. Whoever thinks that was a Sanchez blunder, DOESN'T KNOW SITUATIONAL FOOTBALL
    Uhm, NE did burn a TO. Two actually. That's why Sanchez intentionally took the sack (he said it in postgame). The Pats had only 1 TO left, but didn't need it because they marked 60 yds in 5 pass plays of 10+ yds each. They couldve spiked the ball if they wanted to before the FG.

Mark Sanchez played above his abilities with little talent around him yesterday.

The defense played below their abilities with lots of talent invested yesterday.

Special teams atoned for their KR TD by getting a fumble when it counted and letting us take the lead.

Mark Sanchez atoned for his first half duck by leading us on a 94 yard drive where he was 9 for 10 and should have been 10 for 10 to tie the score.

What the f-ck did the defense do? Let a scat back, a slot WR, and a TE march 60 yards in 90 seconds. Twice.

"Blame Mark Sanchez! A 3 point lead with 90 seconds left on the road against the best team in the AFC isn't good enough for this Rex Ryan defense!" Laughable.

SAR I

he's the arod of the jets. it's easier to blame 1 guy than it is to blame coaches, gms and anyone else rex protects.

SAR I is full of crap.

Before the Jets selected Mark Sanchez, they tried furiously to trade for Jay Cutler. They weren't trying to draft Trent Dilfer with the 5th overall pick, that is a fallacy. They were looking for a franchise quarterback. Obviously the first two years the strategy was to lean on the defense and the running game, that would be the strategy for any team breaking in a rookie.

Mark has been surrounded with great offensive talent sans this year. But in his 4th year he hasnt made the jump hes needed to. SAR you can't blame the weapons Mark has, they were running wide open all game long. Sanchez played well, but left easy plays on the field that contributed majorly to the loss.

You want to blame the D for giving up the tying field goal, fine, thats valid. But to blame them for the overtime events is ludicrous. Regardless of the defense giving up the field goal in OT, the OFFENSE HAS TO SCORE IN OT TO WIN THE GAME. The defense gave them the opportunity to do that after losing the coin toss to the BEST OFFENSE IN THE LEAGUE. YET MARK TURNS IT OVER IN THE SAME WAY WE'VE SEEN MULTIPLE TIMES. NO IMPROVED SKILL POSITION PLAYERS CAN CHANGE MARK NOT KNOWING HOW TO PROTECT THE FOOTBALL.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    At throwing picks? Absolutely no argument from me.
    Well....not to poo-poo the subject but Joe wasn't exactly immune to the INT either.

But I'd better stop there before southpark comes after me with a broken beer bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    Our Defense held the Patriots Offense to 17 points. Thats the lowest total the Patriots offense has had the entire year.

/End thread. dump.
    Our defense was handed a 3 point lead with 90 seconds left on the clock and they blew it. Twice.

I can rattle off 4 or 5 games against elite competition that played out the exact same way up to the 2:00 point, Sanchez playing efficiently, overcoming a deficit, giving us a lead late where the defense stepped up and shut down the likes of the Patriots, Steelers, or Chargers. Problem is, that was in 2009.

Since then, the defense can't stop a team late to seal a victory. Can't do it. You can't find me a single example in the 2010, 2011, or 2012 seasons. I dare you to do so. Go ahead, find one. Just one. Lead late, D needs a big stop to seal it, they do.

You can't. Get it through your head: This team is built to win it on defense and a ground game and they don't. Mark's heroics saved their asses in 2010, just doesn't have the horses anymore. It's the defense that's f-cking up. Last minute drives, Tebow going 99, dumb penalties, no third down stops. Defense. Defense, defense, defense. Our problem is the defense.

/End Poster. Dump.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 10-22-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    It is amazing some people say that Sanchez was widly erratic even with an almost 70% completion rate.....
    The Ryan apologists can never accept the fact that the self-proclaimed Best Defensive Mind In Football actually has built a terrible defense, one worse than he inherited from Mangini, one with a penchant for losing to elite competition and tiring late in games.

They'll be forced to listen. I promise.

SAR I