Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We Lost This Game Because Rex Ryan's Strategy Doesn't Work, Not Mark Sanchez

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    in a game in which there were plenty of errors, why does the game come down to only sanchez's mistakes?
    Special teams TD.

Bad pass interference call.

Only one measly sack.

Blown duck INT.

Stalled running game second half.

Horrible defense gives up game tying drive with 1:40 on clock

Horrible defense gives up game winning drive on first attempt in OT.

So, yeah, let's blame Mark Sanchez and his terrible group of WR's including RB's who can't catch.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    SAR's weekly "Sanchez Defense & Fire Ryan" Thread, eh?
    There are 20 "Sanchez sucks" threads on the Landing Strip.

Not a single one on "The Defense BLOWS Especially Late In Games Since 2010".

Amazing. Our crippled offense under a beleaguered QB with no receiving weapons and a porous OL gives us a 4th quarter lead AND a rested front seven and we....and we.....and we.....

Let them march down the field in a minute and a half. Twice. And we lose. Blame Mark Sanchez!

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Special teams TD.

Bad pass interference call.

Only one measly sack.

Blown duck INT.

Stalled running game second half.

Horrible defense gives up game tying drive with 1:40 on clock

Horrible defense gives up game winning drive on first attempt in OT.

So, yeah, let's blame Mark Sanchez and his terrible group of WR's including RB's who can't catch.

SAR I
    and why is greene not getting blamed for the safety? isn't he supposed to grab the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    I don't understand people's problem with the sack at the end of reg. though. Smart move IMO. It forces the pats to use a TO. The less Brady has of those at the end of a game, the better.
    That situation calls for Sanchez to make NE burn a TO. Smart situational football. Whoever thinks that was a Sanchez blunder, DOESN'T KNOW SITUATIONAL FOOTBALL

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    and why is greene not getting blamed for the safety? isn't he supposed to grab the ball?
    I put that one on Greene. That safety came back to haunt us.

Quote Originally Posted by endgameeugenics View Post
    That situation calls for Sanchez to make NE burn a TO. Smart situational football. Whoever thinks that was a Sanchez blunder, DOESN'T KNOW SITUATIONAL FOOTBALL
    So you think its smart "Situational Football" to add 10 yards to a go ahead kick?

Bewildered Beast
    It's we're now coming up on two years since we've beaten a team that ends the season with a winning record, just beating the scrubs and losing to the decent teams time and time again.

Since the day he got here Rex Ryan has preached that our success will be on a shut-down defense and a ground-and-pound rushing attack. Despite little regular season success in his first three years, he stuck to this strategy, unwilling to bend, unwilling to roll with the changes in the NFL. Still thinking we can emulate the 1985 Bears defense and the 1959 Packers offense and go all the way. Mike Tannenbaum buys-in, so he spends all the good draft picks on defense, thinking Rex can mold questionable rookies into league powerhouses.

Yesterday followed the Rex Ryan 2010 script to a tee with one glaring exception- the offense is left with no playmakers to bail the defense out of another 4th quarter collapse. With players like Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, and Ladanian Tomlinson we were able to survive the defensive failures against the likes of the Browns, Lions, Broncos, Texans, and Colts in 2010 and remain somewhat competitive early in 2011. But in late 2011 and 2012, those days are over. The defense continues to let us down when it matters most, the running game gets stuffed when it matters most, Mark Sanchez doesn't have a supporting aerial cast to win the game late.

Yesterday's disaster is on the defense. They sh-t the bed with 1:30 remaining, sh-t the bed the very next drive in OT. Mark Sanchez did a very good job with the crap tools he has and until he gets more receiving options we're going to continue to suffer against good teams who can make plays in crunch time where we can't.

SAR I
    I'VE said all along that having rookies and new folks at the skill positions would lead to frustrating drops and miscues.

If Hill holds that ball, game over.

/story

There are 20 "Sanchez sucks" threads on the Landing Strip.

Not a single one on "The Defense BLOWS Especially Late In Games Since 2010".

Amazing. Our crippled offense under a beleaguered QB with no receiving weapons and a porous OL gives us a 4th quarter lead AND a rested front seven and we....and we.....and we.....

Let them march down the field in a minute and a half. Twice. And we lose. Blame Mark Sanchez!

SAR I
    The D played OK actually... NOT Great.

We lost on 2 bad strategies. Both under 2 min left. We throw on 3rd down and 3...we dont burn clock when we pick up fumble.

Hall Of Fame
    Rex showed yesterday that he is full of s**t. He gets up in his press conferences and says all this stuff about how he has confidence in his team, and how he trusts his defense and thinks it is an elite defense, and then coaches the last two minutes of the game like he is a scared little b**ch. He made no attempt to WIN the game. He showed zero faith in his offense OR defense. For a guy who like to talk tough, he certainly acted like a scared coach yesterday.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    I'm not talking about your precious expectations. Couldn't care less, really. I'm telling you that the defense did their job. Special teams, offensive playcalling, and offensive execution we're to blame for yesterday's loss.

If you need to be explained why percentages go up for offenses in two-minute drills at this point, I really can't help you. Read a book or something.
    1. The Jets quarterback overcame a 10 point deficit and had a 3 point lead with 1:40 seconds left in the game.

___True ___False

2. The Jets have invested very heavily on the defense as that is the primary way we are supposed to win football games.

___True ___False

3. In the fabled 11-5 2010 season, Mark Sanchez bailed out the weaksauce defense and overcame 4th quarter deficits 5 times including Detroit, Cleveland, Denver, Houston, and Indianapolis in the playoffs.

___True ___False

4. Mark Sanchez has the worst assortment of receiving targets now than he ever has in his 3.5 seasons in New York, especially lacking a dump-off RB threat out of the backfield.

___True ___False

5. If Mark Sanchez were supported with as many high draft picks and free agents as the defense has been since 2009 we have a better likelihood of winning yesterday's game.

___True ___False

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    As well as our defense played all game, you had to know that they were just going let Brady march downfield, just like he's always done against us.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Just about everything looked good yesterday except the coaching. A bad INT by Sanchez, a drop by Hill and the Special Teams TD were the big uh-oh's but in general, the Jets WERE grounding and pounding and they WERE playing solid defense.

This loss falls on the coaching IMO. Poor play selection gave us 3 points instead of a possible 7 by not rushing from inside the 3 yard line when we'd driven all the way down the field. Poor clock management left too much time at the end of the game. And finally, a quasi-prevent defense at the end of the game let the Pats come down the field about 60 yards in just over a minute.

However, I will say that this is a vastly better looking Jets team than the one that seemed to be going off the rails just a few weeks ago against the 49ers. These guys are playing hard for Rex, the D is improving and the running game is better. I have hope.

They goofed the game yesterday...but we could VERY easily be sitting here talking about a 4-3 AFC East leading NY Jets team....and three weeks ago that would have been unfathomable. This team has been very competitive the last three weeks - a close loss the conference-leading Texans, a big Win over Indianapolis, and a very close loss on the road yesterday to a good Patriots team.

The Jets seem to be a good football team and I think they'll compete for a Wildcard this year.
    The Jets have played with some heart these past three weeks, kudos to Ryan and the coaching staff for getting them ready.

That said, in the recent Ryan Era we know that we can no longer beat teams that will end the season with a winning record and we know that we go a little better than .600 against the scrubs. In looking at the remainder of the season, should play out like this:

W 8 Sun, Oct 28 Dolphins
    L 10 Sun, Nov 11 @ Seahawks
    L 11 Sun, Nov 18 @ Rams
    L 12 Thu, Nov 22 Patriots
    L 13 Sun, Dec 2 Cardinals
    W 14 Sun, Dec 9 @ Jaguars
    W 15 Mon, Dec 17 @ Titans
    L 16 Sun, Dec 23 Chargers
    L 17 Sun, Dec 30 @ Bills

That's 6-10 at best, 7-9 if you think the Chargers will freeze in NJ. I had 'em at 5-11.

Give the boys an A+ for effort. Give Mike Tannenbaum an F for so little young talent. Give Rex Ryan an F for his stupid strategy that can't work in today's NFL.

SAR I

It's we're now coming up on two years since we've beaten a team that ends the season with a winning record, just beating the scrubs and losing to the decent teams time and time again.

Since the day he got here Rex Ryan has preached that our success will be on a shut-down defense and a ground-and-pound rushing attack. Despite little regular season success in his first three years, he stuck to this strategy, unwilling to bend, unwilling to roll with the changes in the NFL. Still thinking we can emulate the 1985 Bears defense and the 1959 Packers offense and go all the way. Mike Tannenbaum buys-in, so he spends all the good draft picks on defense, thinking Rex can mold questionable rookies into league powerhouses.

Yesterday followed the Rex Ryan 2010 script to a tee with one glaring exception- the offense is left with no playmakers to bail the defense out of another 4th quarter collapse. With players like Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, and Ladanian Tomlinson we were able to survive the defensive failures against the likes of the Browns, Lions, Broncos, Texans, and Colts in 2010 and remain somewhat competitive early in 2011. But in late 2011 and 2012, those days are over. The defense continues to let us down when it matters most, the running game gets stuffed when it matters most, Mark Sanchez doesn't have a supporting aerial cast to win the game late.

Yesterday's disaster is on the defense. They sh-t the bed with 1:30 remaining, sh-t the bed the very next drive in OT. Mark Sanchez did a very good job with the crap tools he has and until he gets more receiving options we're going to continue to suffer against good teams who can make plays in crunch time where we can't.

SAR I
    Our Defense held the Patriots Offense to 17 points. Thats the lowest total the Patriots offense has had the entire year.

/End thread. dump.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Rex is doing a good job with what he has to work with. Revis goes down, D hasn't missed a beat. We've gotten great contributions from our young WRs. What Rex cannot overcome is a turnover prone QB that ranges from great to horrible, often within a quarter.

We traded up to #5 in the draft to get a franchise QB that could torch bad pass Ds. Instead, we got a QB that can put up numbers on a bad pass D, but still makes enough mistakes to the point where the decent numbers don't even matter. You're OK with mediocre QB play, you've made that well known. Some of us, however, are not.
    No fan of the other 31 NFL teams is happy with mediocre quarterback play because their head coach decided that an offense that can generate points is a priority.

Our throwback head coach thinks he's leading the 1985 Chicago Bears, gonna win it on defense. Not going to let the offense screw it up, just kill some clock, run that ball, let the defense win games 2-0.

As a result, we haven't supported our quarterback with the necessary set of tools to be successful.

In fact, I'd argue that yesterday might have been Mark Sanchez' best regular season game, ever, because he did everything he was asked to do with a terrible set of weapons, had a 4th quarter lead on the road against an elite team, handed the gimmie victory over to the DEFENSE who blew it.

Twice.

SAR I

W 8 Sun, Oct 28 Dolphins
    L 10 Sun, Nov 11 @ Seahawks
    L 11 Sun, Nov 18 @ Rams
    L 12 Thu, Nov 22 Patriots
    L 13 Sun, Dec 2 Cardinals
    W 14 Sun, Dec 9 @ Jaguars
    W 15 Mon, Dec 17 @ Titans
    L 16 Sun, Dec 23 Chargers
    L 17 Sun, Dec 30 @ Bills
    I disagree with the Jets losing to the Rams, Cards, and Chargers. I think they take those games 'cause :

1.) It's the Rams and Schittyheimer. Plus, Bradford is Not Tom Brady so the Defense *will* get some stops

2.) The Cards lost Kolb. They have Skelton at QB. Put Cro on Fitzgerald. 'nuff said.

3.) Chargers are such an OVERRATED team, it's absurd. This will be a Jets victory, probably via a semi-shootout since their 'D' couldn't stop a nosebleed either.

The Seahawk game is Iffy considering the building the Jets would play in which would play havoc in their playcalls. It could go either way for the Jets in that game.

The 2nd Patriots game could turn out in two ways : Either the Pats are better and blow us out or the Jets are better and beat them at home.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post

Because his errors stand out larger than anyone else's, and because it's the MO with this guy. If you look at this game in a vaccuum, it's impossible to blame Sanchez. But a fan of this team is going to recall his recent play when evaluating his performance, and it's the same thing week-in and week-out.
    If Mark Sanchez went by the same "weekly MO" theory, he'd be afraid to throw a ball or even take a snap because his OL gets him killed, his WR's don't get open, he doesn't have a dump-off swing RB, his TE gets doubled, and his offensive coordinator is unqualified.

Mike Tannenbaum and Rex Ryan abandoned this kid. How about that? How about the fact that when other QB's are showing improvement in their 3rd and 4th years Mark Sanchez hasn't had the horses around him to allow him to do that. Last year was the year of Hunter and worn out LT/Plaxico. This year is the year of Schilens (who?) and Hill (who?) and McKnight (who?) compounded by the loss of Holmes.

Mark Sanchez was the star of the game yesterday. This hysteria should be directed at the DEFENSE who a) is supposed to win games for us and b) had a f-cking lead with 1:40 on the clock.

SAR I

I'm amazed no one has called out Hill for pretty much watching the Pat defender catch the ball. I know his momentum was taking him the other way, but it sure looked like he had PLENTY of time to knock that ball away, but instead waited for him to catch it, then tackle him.

Rookie mistake, I get it (just like not getting up on that one play no one touched him). I'm not saying cut the guy -- I'm just surprised it hasn't been mentioned . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Schvatz44 View Post
    C'mon man, couple of things about the points you just made.

1. Sanchez in the second half was about as good as we could have asked him to be. 16/20 for 190 yards and a touchdown. He single-handedly led the 92 yard touchdown drive to bring the game within three points. And yes, that 3rd and 1 call with the slant was an atrocious call.

2. I agree that the interception was simply gross, as he saw the play develop too late. That was a missed opportunity and inexcusable. But to say that he wasn't seeing the field all game is a hyperbole. Yes there were certainly some missed opportunities, but he doesn't throw for a 68% completion percentage and over 300 yards by not seeing the field.

3. The sack that he took at the end of the fourth quarter was absolutely the correct play. In that situation, if there is nothing open, you can not force the ball in somewhere and risk a turnover. Additionally, if Sanchez throws the ball out of bounds, which you claim any Pop Warner quarterback would do, that saves the Patriots a timeout. Yes he lost about 10 yards or so, but the sack certainly does not take you out of field goal range at that point, and it takes a timeout away from the Pats.

I hate to consistently come off as a Sanchez apologist, but this loss was simply not his fault. Missed opportunities and a lack of the defense getting off the field late in the game is.

I completely agree with SAR here. He is not saying the defense did not perform well throughout the entire game, he is simply saying at the END of the game, the defense did not come up clutch. You have to stop Brady in that last drive, and you can not allow the Patriots to move the ball down the field in OT.
    It is amazing some people say that Sanchez was widly erratic even with an almost 70% completion rate......

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    SAR....with you totally on the defense, NEVER can put game away. But, don't forget that twice in last 3 weeks Sanchez has had ball at end of game with chance to win, and we get INT(Texans) and incomprehensible fumble yesterday. The guy is not the answer, and unfortunately, the people who could change that don't agree.
    Mark only had a running game as support as of 7 days ago against the Colts when the OL and Green found a bit of a groove.

Mark lost Holmes and didn't get a WR whose name he knew until yesterday when Keller reappeared.

The team is giving up an average of 30 points a game against the better teams in the league. Ryan and Tannenbaum haven't built an offense that can score like that, can't keep up with the scrubs and nobodies that Mark has to go to war with.

SAR I

Absolutely agree with this. Sanchez is perfectly adequate and he has demonstrated this numerous times. We need more play makers on offense. Could you imagine how good we would be if we had Gronk and Hernandez?

SAR I