View Poll Results: What's most to blame for yesterday's loss?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stephen Hill's dropped pass with less than 2 minutes to go

28 22.76%
  • Poor coaching (passing on 3rd and goal from inside 3, bad clock management)

46 37.40%
  • Defense not holding the lead with 1:30 remaining

19 15.45%
  • Sanchez's QB performance (328 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, 90.3 rating)

15 12.20%
  • Other

15 12.20%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you blame most for yesterday's loss to New England?

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Of course. Easy answer. That's why "All of the above" is not an option.

Maybe people can think of the question another way, "If you could change ONE thing in an effort to change yesterday's outcome, what would it be?" But you can't say, "I'd change them all"
    O.k I was being dumb.But they all apply to win this game.Its really good news we almost beat the Pats at home.

Hill drop is eaisest pic

So many mistakes but Jets looking much better than a few weeks ago.

Sanchez.

* Missed a wide open TD.

* Kicked 2 points on the board where the very worst thing they could've happened had he picked the ball up was the same 2 points on the board.

* Failed to capitalize in the red zone.

* Lost the game in OT.

He put up some good numbers, but the pats secondary played so badly, i don't believe they are particularly impressive.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by leonwashington2 View Post
    this is on the coaches.

1. 3rd and 1.5 at the 3 and an inexplicable pass to a sh*tty receiver
    2. should have passed on first down right before two minute warning
    3. wtf was the drive at the end of the first half?
    4. rex getting as conservative as possible at the end of regulation

were there execution errors? sure. look at the special teams td. look at slauson letting wilfork into the backfield. look at hill drop.

but if this game was properly coached none of it would have mattered. and its unrealistic to think there's going to be zero mistakes by players (on either side) throughout a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    Hills drop hurt but it was just one play of a long game.

Suckchez had a pretty good game...fumble at end was awful but no reason for the game to be in OT in the first place.

Defense played well above my expectations....and might have held the lead if not put in that silly three man pass rush!!!......which leads me to our PATHETIC COACHES!!!!

Clock management....not playing tebow in short yardage....calling a slant to chaz $HITlings...wtf!!!

I AM STARTING TO LOSE FAITH IN REX RYAN AS A HEAD COACH......AND ALREADY LOST FAITH IN SPARANO!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Jet Fan View Post
    With all that happened in that game and the Jets actually having a chance to win I blame the coaching 100%.

For them to play scared at the end of the game and not try to get a first down is hands down the worst of all the game foul ups.
    They played scared when we needed the coaching to step up the most.

1 first down there and we win the game. Instead of being aggresive at that point when we were lucky to get the ball back in first place, we run twice up the middle and then roll out on 3rd time.

We played for the tie and lost the game. How in the world did they not think that Brady was gonna drive down with 1.30 left and a time out and not get a field goal is a head shaker.

We frecking deserved to lose!!!!!!!!
    Strong cases against the coaching.

It's maddening. Rex will fake a punt to Tebow on the Jets own half of the field, yet turtle up in the red zone when it's time to impose our will on the opponent.

Veteran
    I am sorry to say but the D for not holding with 2min left.

I thought Sanchez played extremely well, the pass to Keller in the end zone in coverage was nothing short of beautiful, that is a veteran throw. 1 pick for Brady as well, if Cro holds on.
    Yes Sanchez eventually coughs up the ball in OT, but if the D holds we are not in that spot.

I will take the Sanchez we saw yesterday all season long making rookies look good. the D needs to step up.

Other options were going to be...

g) aliens
    h) George Bush
    i) Aunt Jemima
    In that case I got to go with i) Aunt Jemima...

In all seriousness, the fatal flaw IMO was the 3rd and 1 call on the goal line at the end of the half. You had been successful running it down our throats all day so to call a pass there, from the shotgun no less, was terrible coaching. Isn't that the exact reason we all heard all off-season why you traded for Tebow in the first place? Score a TD there and nothing else matters.

I Picked 'C'.

Had the so-called Rex Ryan Defense gotten it done with 1:30 remaining against Brady, this poll wouldn't have ever even been thought of. A Moot point it would've been.

Mark's mental blunders....Sparano's retarded playcalling....the drops....the sacks.....the Special Teams giving up a Momentum-breaking TD....

ALL OF IT is erased if the Defense actually...you know...DEFENDED in the end but they didn't. And that's the way it goes.

To borrow a Bart Scott-ism : "The Jets COULDN'T STOP A NOSEBLEED."

'Cause they couldn't...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    Sanchez.

* Missed a wide open TD.
    Agreed.

* Kicked 2 points on the board where the very worst thing they could've happened had he picked the ball up was the same 2 points on the board.
    The worst that could have happened was a Patriot TD. 2 is better than 7 and you don't coach a QB to try to pick up a loose football bouncing around in the endzone.

* Failed to capitalize in the red zone.
    You can blame Sanchez, Sparano's play calling and then Hill's drop for not capitalizing in the redzone.

* Lost the game in OT.
    By giving up the FG?

He put up some good numbers, but the pats secondary played so badly, i don't believe they are particularly impressive.
    Agreed.

Of course. Easy answer. That's why "All of the above" is not an option.

Maybe people can think of the question another way, "If you could change ONE thing in an effort to change yesterday's outcome, what would it be?" But you can't say, "I'd change them all"
    One thing? Sanchez' throw to Hill on the INT. Make that throw on time and we win the game.

Hell, don't fumble deep in your own territory and we win the game.

Wheres the Refs option? I am not normally one to play that card but the clock issue on the KO KILLED us and there were several really really NE biased calls.

A, B, C Sanchez in the 2nd half played the best he played all season. so what if he makes a mistake in overtime. shouldve never come down to that if the defense was able to hold up in regulation or how magically only 5 seconds ran off the clock when mccourty fumbled or how stephen hill dropped a pass at the end or how shonn greene is 8/8 i believe now on 3rd and 1 he just converted one on that drive and we decide to not go back to him on 3rd and 1 on the goal line. Should i go on?

I go Hill number 1
    Jets were on a roll in that drive & I believe they are scoring a TD there.
    Whos to say that he doesn't break a tackle there & get it near the goalline or a TD?

Number 2- The pansy azz coaching at the end! Are you kidding me? Coming from Mr. Ground & Pound himself, the coach that proclaimed, "I brought Tony in here because we both like the tough GROUND & POUND approach"

That 3rd & 1 called for Rex to unearth his quick speech in San Diego on the sidelines when he said, "run in up their effing azzes!"

GOD, that was SO disappointing!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ratliff5 View Post
    A, B, C Sanchez in the 2nd half played the best he played all season. so what if he makes a mistake in overtime. shouldve never come down to that if the defense was able to hold up in regulation or how magically only 5 seconds ran off the clock when mccourty fumbled or how stephen hill dropped a pass at the end or how shonn greene is 8/8 i believe now on 3rd and 1 he just converted one on that drive and we decide to not go back to him on 3rd and 1 on the goal line. Should i go on?
    True. 16 of 20 for 190 yards, 1 TD, no INTs, and got the Jets the lead with less than 2 minutes left despite Hill dropping a sure first down.

All Pro
    I picked Hill... but it was a toss up between him and the D not being able to hold the lead.

If at noon on Sunday I said we'd have a 3 point lead with 1:45 to play, I think most people on this board would've called me crazy... and the D had the chance to step up and shut it down.

That being said, there isn't really a chance for the Pats to test our D if Hill holds on to that pass.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Each one contributed in its own way, not insignificantly, to the Jets not being able to win the game.

But, I'm with Guido to a large extent. Beyond losing the 4 extra points by settling for a FG, I think the Jets not putting their foot on the Pats throat there gave the Pats life.

If the Jets run the ball up the middle TWICE, there is a very good chance, 80 - 90% chance they score a TD. They do that, they take control of the game.

My personal preference is that you run the ball twice. But, I try not to quibble over specific play calls - its too easy for us here in the cheap seats to always have the correct play call. And, when a play a Coach calls works, we don't say anything, but when it doesn't, we are quick to say we know better.

But, IMO, you have to go for it on 4th down. That's no a play call, that's a fundamental strategy. And being that if you know its 4 down territory, why not run the ball on 3rd down, so you can advance it even a little bit (if not get the 1st down/TD) so you can set up an easier 4th down if need be.

Although I didn't like the slant to Schilens, it easily could have worked, so I can't kill that play selection. I can, however, criticize the FG attempt. I felt that way on 3rd down and I feel that way now - Winners score a TD there, come hell or high water.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    B, C and D.

BTW, D is very misleading.
    Exactly, he should have put "Sanchez's passing performance" if he was not going to list the 2 fumbles.

I voted Other.

Here is why:

ANY of these things change the outcome of the game:

ST not giving up TD
    Safety not happening
    Cro makes INT
    Hill Makes Catch
    TD instead of FG
    Sanchez doesn't throw pick
    D holds in last 1:30 or first possession in OT
    No mystery PI from a mile away
    No sack fumble

The Jets beat the Jets yesterday.

Jets Insider VIP
    Hill is all alone. He makes the catch, doesn't have to run, can just stand there and wait to be tackled. Burns clock, maybe get a TD at least a FG.

Major ****up.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Hill is all alone. He makes the catch, doesn't have to run, can just stand there and wait to be tackled. Burns clock, maybe get a TD at least a FG.

Major ****up.
    But we burn the clock and if we get a FG there it is still only a tied game. We got the FG to tie the game anyway so the Hill drop was really only pivotal if you think that we are a lock to get a TD from the 12. Otherwise we run down the clock and tie it up with a FG (maybe).... Same difference, overtime.

One way or another the inability to get more than 3 points after the KO return fumble or the inability to run off enough clock before we went up by three is much bigger than the Hill drop IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Exactly, he should have put "Sanchez's passing performance" if he was not going to list the 2 fumbles.
    Or the two other "doink" tipped balls that should have been caught for picks in the first half. Sanchez was a millimeter away from a five turnover day on Sunday.

All League
    The D is supposed to be the strength of this team and they showed once again that they can't get stops when they need to.