Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanchez Real Problem

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanchez Real Problem

I have been a pretty big supporter of Sanchez but it is clear that he has been struggling to get the job done and Sunday I finally put my finger on exactly what is wrong with Sanchez:

He can only make 3 throws consistently

You hear talk all the time about a QB prospect being able to make all the throws. I am sure that in shorts or 7 on 7 that he can make all the throws but in a game situation he really only throws 3 passes well:

1. Quick slant
    2. Skinny post and seam passes
    3. Out patterns

That's it. He may be the worst QB in the NFL on swing routes, screens and outlet passes.

He does not have back shoulder accuracy and he struggles at curls, stop routes, crossing partterns, gos and deep posts.

It severely limits him and allows defenses to cheat to the patterns that they know Sanchez will throw which is a large reason for why no one gets any separation.

His complete lack of short game passing skills really holds back the offense and leads to lots of 3 and outs.

On the plus side, without Santonio he seems to be able to spread the ball around a little more and feature Kerlry more, but his severe limitations will always hold us back.

I do not think he is the future, and I was finally able to put together why this weekend. He is simply too limited in what he does well, and he is flat out bad at passes that require touch.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    People can go on and on about Sanchez's shortcomings as well as the positives he brings to the table. For me, it now boils down to one thing. Successful QB's are either wildly outwardly competitive or stoic rocks of cool confidence with ice in their veins. The former seethe in outright anger on the sidelines when things are not going well. The latter carry the same confident look whether winning or losing.

Sanchez is neither. He is a rah rah cheerleader when things go well. But he never seems "angry" or even determined when things go poorly. To the contrary, when things do not go his way, he appears like a sullen baby. Like it or not, the QB has to be a leader. Sanchez is not a leader. Despite the efforts of players to be good teammates and prop Sanchez up citing his unquestionable work ethic, the fact remains that he does not have the qualities of a leader. He is never going to crack a joke in the huddle to keep his team loose during a game winning drive, and it will be a cold day in hell if her ever finally appears to have the grim determination necessary to have men follow his lead. He is a front running, cheerleader dating, millionaire, southern Cali, "star" QB. He has NEVER had to battle for anything. He has been handed everything and been asked only to do the minimal on loaded high school, college, and initially pro teams. He has NEVER had to deal with real adversity..... Until now....and has shown no signs that he is capable of being anything more than what he is....which is many things, but certainly not a leader.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I have been a pretty big supporter of Sanchez but it is clear that he has been struggling to get the job done and Sunday I finally put my finger on exactly what is wrong with Sanchez:

He can only make 3 throws consistently

You hear talk all the time about a QB prospect being able to make all the throws. I am sure that in shorts or 7 on 7 that he can make all the throws but in a game situation he really only throws 3 passes well:

1. Quick slant
    2. Skinny post and seam passes
    3. Out patterns

That's it. He may be the worst QB in the NFL on swing routes, screens and outlet passes.

He does not have back shoulder accuracy and he struggles at curls, stop routes, crossing partterns, gos and deep posts.

It severely limits him and allows defenses to cheat to the patterns that they know Sanchez will throw which is a large reason for why no one gets any separation.

His complete lack of short game passing skills really holds back the offense and leads to lots of 3 and outs.

On the plus side, without Santonio he seems to be able to spread the ball around a little more and feature Kerlry more, but his severe limitations will always hold us back.

I do not think he is the future, and I was finally able to put together why this weekend. He is simply too limited in what he does well, and he is flat out bad at passes that require touch.
    Really good post.

He is definetly better with Santonio Gone.

Im not sure if you noticed but our staff was handpicked to try to take advantage of what your saying. Slants, Post, out patterns.

He has poor control the rest of the routes, has poor awareness, and is slow going throw his reads--he wont notice wide open recievers more then I have ever seen in the NFL.

Sparano has us running more(more pulling lineman), got rid of Hunter, Howard is excelling, calling deeper plays and mixing it up well, and calling alot of plays to Sanchez strengths. Notice how many slants, post, and outs where called. Even that 3rd and 1 in the end-zone that every hated was a play called perfectly to Sanchez strengths....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    People can go on and on about Sanchez's shortcomings as well as the positives he brings to the table. For me, it now boils down to one thing. Successful QB's are either wildly outwardly competitive or stoic rocks of cool confidence with ice in their veins. The former seethe in outright anger on the sidelines when things are not going well. The latter carry the same confident look whether winning or losing.

Sanchez is neither. He is a rah rah cheerleader when things go well. But he never seems "angry" or even determined when things go poorly. To the contrary, when things do not go his way, he appears like a sullen baby. Like it or not, the QB has to be a leader. Sanchez is not a leader. Despite the efforts of players to be good teammates and prop Sanchez up citing his unquestionable work ethic, the fact remains that he does not have the qualities of a leader. He is never going to crack a joke in the huddle to keep his team loose during a game winning drive, and it will be a cold day in hell if her ever finally appears to have the grim determination necessary to have men follow his lead. He is a front running, cheerleader dating, millionaire, southern Cali, "star" QB. He has NEVER had to battle for anything. He has been handed everything and been asked only to do the minimal on loaded high school, college, and initially pro teams. He has NEVER had to deal with real adversity..... Until now....and has shown no signs that he is capable of being anything more than what he is....which is many things, but certainly not a leader.
    I think sitting most of college had to do with this. So many of his skills, personality where just not developed.

In the end it will be his downfall. Hopefully our next QB is a guy that started for 3-4 years in college.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's way too much analysis of why Sanchez plays the way he plays. At some point, a guy just is who he is. It's like wondering how John Starks could single-handedly send the Knicks to a Game 7 against the Rockets in '94 shooting the lights out, just to turn around and go 1-13 in the Game 7 that he got them to.

In the same way some RBs need 20+ carries to be successful, Sanchez needs less than 25 passes to be a successful QB. If he can make it through a whole game with 25 attempts or less, it means he isn't being counted on to be a difference maker and he can be solid in that role.

Once he gets over that 25 pass threshhold, you will see the erratic throws and mind numbing decision-making on occasion. It's just who he is.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez's REAL Problem is that he has Matt Cavanaugh as his QB Coach.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest problem with this kid is that after 4 yrs,the game still hasn't slowed down enough for him. Yesterday's game was further evidence of the problem that is mark Sanchez.

When the Patriots had the ball down by 3 with less than 2 minutes to go,the Jets were afraid to come after Brady because of the chance he might find a receiver behind our defense. When the Jets had the ball in overtime down by 3, the Pats came after Sanchez because they were sure he would make a mistake that would allow them to win the game.

Both teams were right.

Nobody is afraid of Sanchez beating them. Can he beat you, certainly, because he has the ability, but more than likely he will make the mistake because that is his M. O. .

Yesterday Sanchez had 2 shots to be the hero in regulation. Hill drop the ball on his 1st and the coaches didn't trust him to execute after the fumble. With a little over 2 minutes left in the game, we called 2 runs up the gut and a roll out to a single option or take the sack. This is the trust this coaching staff have in the player they believe gives them the best option to win.

This Jet team needs a QB and Sanchez needs a high ankle sprain so the Jets can find out if McElroy is an NFL backup or anything else.
    Last edited by Tinstar; 10-22-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having no outlet game because the QB can't throw a swing or screen and the backs can't catch is a huge disadvantage in this league.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Sanchez's REAL Problem is that he has Matt Cavanaugh as his QB Coach.
    and mediocre wrs and rbs as his weapons.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Having no outlet game because the QB can't throw a swing or screen and the backs can't catch is a huge disadvantage in this league.
    i can't stand this. i can only wonder if powell and mcknight would have been used more yesterday if healthy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    The biggest problem with this kid is that after 4 yrs
    Stopped right there. It's after 3 years. He is in year 3.5.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

This same body language garbage was said repeatedly about Eli Manning before he won. You can't judge a player's leadership from two-second close-ups on TV.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    I think sitting most of college had to do with this. So many of his skills, personality where just not developed.

In the end it will be his downfall. Hopefully our next QB is a guy that started for 3-4 years in college.
    agreed!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post

Good point. I wonder if his 487 college pass attempts is the record for the fewest by a QB who has started an NFL playoff game? And for those that might think Tebow would have this record, the "golden" arm of Tebow attempted 995 passes in college...more than twice as many as Sanchez.

Sadly, I think Pete Carroll was right, Sanchez needed another year as a starter in college.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    its tebow time! he wont take sacks and make bad decisions like sanchez has been doing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    its tebow time! he wont take sacks and make bad decisions like sanchez has been doing.
    ... he's also incapable of making the throws required of an NFL QB and has no idea whatsoever as to how to read a defense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    There's way too much analysis of why Sanchez plays the way he plays. At some point, a guy just is who he is. It's like wondering how John Starks could single-handedly send the Knicks to a Game 7 against the Rockets in '94 shooting the lights out, just to turn around and go 1-13 in the Game 7 that he got them to.

In the same way some RBs need 20+ carries to be successful, Sanchez needs less than 25 passes to be a successful QB. If he can make it through a whole game with 25 attempts or less, it means he isn't being counted on to be a difference maker and he can be solid in that role.

Once he gets over that 25 pass threshhold, you will see the erratic throws and mind numbing decision-making on occasion. It's just who he is.
    Exactly. Those of us who wanted Sanchez to eventually have a role in our offense like Eli, or Rodgers, or Brady, or Brees, I think eventually you might have to just realize he isn't that type of player and lacks the skill level and fundamentals to ever be a guy like that. Maybe it's lack of confidence, maybe it's mechanics, maybe some of it is revolving supporting cast, but at this point the guy is what he is. He's not suddenly going to have 5 straight turnover free games and toss 13 TDs over that span. That's just not what he is. The question is whether he can minimize the mistakes enough to allow the D and the running game to win us games.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good point. I wonder if his 487 college pass attempts is the record for the fewest by a QB who has started an NFL playoff game? And for those that might think Tebow would have this record, the "golden" arm of Tebow attempted 995 passes in college...more than twice as many as Sanchez.

Sadly, I think Pete Carroll was right, Sanchez needed another year as a starter in college.
    Matt Cassel says hi. Coincidentally, probably the only other veteran starting who has had major calls to be replaced by the backup.

Actually, I would imagine Fitzpatrick's seat has to be absolute fire at this point too.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    ... he's also incapable of making the throws required of an NFL QB and has no idea whatsoever as to how to read a defense.
    what throws has sanchez been making that are winning us games?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post

This Jet team needs a QB and Sanchez needs a high ankle sprain so the Jets can find out if McElroy is an NFL backup or anything else.
    That's a horrible thing to say, man. I know you want a New QB but even so, you should have more class than to wish injury on someone...especially when that someone is the QB of our team.