Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Is anyone else not at all impressed with the *Patriots?

  1. #1

    Is anyone else not at all impressed with the *Patriots?

    I don't think they're very good anymore. But then again no one in the AFC is really good, with the exception of the Texans. This is definitely the most parity the AFC has seen in a while.

    I think yesterday will go a long way in exposing the *Pats. All they do is dink and dunk. Brady hasn't been connecting on long balls. He actually relies on his receivers YAC for yardage. Sure, they'll make plays here and there but their offense really plays into the "bend but don't break" philosophy of defenses. Eventually, the *Pats drives will stall out, because they'll miss on a crucial 3rd down. They'll be settling for more and more FGs.

    For what it's worth, the Jets D held their own and that's saying a lot without Revis. As for the Pats D, well, we looked pretty good against them, although they do seem to have an upgraded pass rush. They still can't really cover.

    I think when we play them at home all we have to do is cut down on mental mistakes. Also, why does it seem like every game we have at least one wasted timeout? Am I the only one who thinks it's absolutely ridiculous to ever have the offense burn one? I think 5 yards is definitely worth keeping an extra timeout.

  2. #2
    I for one never have been. They cheated to win superbowls bottom line. I have never thought they were anything like the niners of the 80s or cowboys of the 90s. Never impressed for one minute.

  3. #3
    I thought that before the game, they are an ordinary team right now, things do change in a hurry in the NFL, tho

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,711
    Middle of the road team in the 2nd best conference. Pretty damned far from elite.

  5. #5
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    You are what your record says you are.

  6. #6
    The Texans are just the least mediocre of a mediocre AFC lot. They are a J.J. Watt torn groin or pectoral muscle away from a playoff one-and-done.

    The Pats' offense would look a whole lot better if Hernandez and Gronkowski were playing at anything close to 100%. They are shells of their 2011 selves. Add to that the absence of both Patriots starting guards and a solid Jets D with a good game plan, and it's no wonder the Patriots' offense looked so lame yesterday.

    Some random tomato can will emerge from the AFC and be double-digit underdogs in the Super Bowl. It may well be the Patriots, but nobody will be impressed.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    I don't think they're very good anymore. But then again no one in the AFC is really good, with the exception of the Texans. This is definitely the most parity the AFC has seen in a while.

    I think yesterday will go a long way in exposing the *Pats. All they do is dink and dunk. Brady hasn't been connecting on long balls. He actually relies on his receivers YAC for yardage. Sure, they'll make plays here and there but their offense really plays into the "bend but don't break" philosophy of defenses. Eventually, the *Pats drives will stall out, because they'll miss on a crucial 3rd down. They'll be settling for more and more FGs.

    For what it's worth, the Jets D held their own and that's saying a lot without Revis. As for the Pats D, well, we looked pretty good against them, although they do seem to have an upgraded pass rush. They still can't really cover.

    I think when we play them at home all we have to do is cut down on mental mistakes. Also, why does it seem like every game we have at least one wasted timeout? Am I the only one who thinks it's absolutely ridiculous to ever have the offense burn one? I think 5 yards is definitely worth keeping an extra timeout.
    I wasn't impressed. They probably would have been blown out by a team like the Texans, Giants, or Packers yesterday. Unfortunately they had the right opponent in front of them to come away with a win where they clearly weren't their best. They still have to play the Niners and Texans. That's two losses. I see a split with the Phins too. I think if we beat them next time, Pats could be staring at 9-7 unless they improve.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,905
    One would think they are on the downtick after a decade of dominance, it happens.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    12,340
    I think they're outstanding

    Obviously, they had to cheat to beat us

  10. #10

    Unnfortunately....

    [QUOTE=Johnny Rico;4658959]I don't think they're very good anymore. But then again no one in the AFC is really good, with the exception of the Texans. This is definitely the most parity the AFC has seen in a while.

    I think yesterday will go a long way in exposing the *Pats. All they do is dink and dunk. Brady hasn't been connecting on long balls. He actually relies on his receivers YAC for yardage. Sure, they'll make plays here and there but their offense really plays into the "bend but don't break" philosophy of defenses.

    they will be the best in the east.But they will be one and out against any "complete " meaning they have a less than average defense and no really true deep threat. Stop Gronk, control Welkin and Herniadez and that will control the Patsie yak.

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,761
    I think the Pats have some serious issues. Oy, that defense. And the TEs do not look healthy. And the OL is cause for concern. They held up OK against us but our pass rush is the equivalent of the Pats pass defense.

    But I worry about my own team. We need to handle our business. Screw the Pats.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    I don't think they're very good anymore. But then again no one in the AFC is really good, with the exception of the Texans. This is definitely the most parity the AFC has seen in a while.

    I think yesterday will go a long way in exposing the *Pats. All they do is dink and dunk. Brady hasn't been connecting on long balls. He actually relies on his receivers YAC for yardage. Sure, they'll make plays here and there but their offense really plays into the "bend but don't break" philosophy of defenses. Eventually, the *Pats drives will stall out, because they'll miss on a crucial 3rd down. They'll be settling for more and more FGs.

    For what it's worth, the Jets D held their own and that's saying a lot without Revis. As for the Pats D, well, we looked pretty good against them, although they do seem to have an upgraded pass rush. They still can't really cover.

    I think when we play them at home all we have to do is cut down on mental mistakes. Also, why does it seem like every game we have at least one wasted timeout? Am I the only one who thinks it's absolutely ridiculous to ever have the offense burn one? I think 5 yards is definitely worth keeping an extra timeout.

    Pretty much agree with everything you said. We're not. And frankly I like it. For once maybe people will realize we are not the 2007 Patriots and haven't been for some time and stop expecting us to blow you out or any other team by 20 points every time we face. The mere fact we made the Superbowl last year with the defense we had and lack of receiving threats is simply a testament of Brady's ability to complete so many damn short passes without any mistakes.

    But it's not the easiest or most efficient way to move the chains and score points.

    Having said that, I think this is a better team than last year's version, and it's simply a matter of McDaniel's tinkering with the offense a bit too much. I like the fact that he is putting more on the defense and the run game earlier in the season, and ironing out all the kinks now.

    I just hope he will have it all straightened out by the time it really counts.

    But yes, the best team in football right now is unquestionably the NY Giants.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,702
    On Saturday they were the best team ever to play this game, and were going to be angry and beat us to a pulp. They were runnning this no huddle that could not be stopped, and were running a record setting number of plays per game. They had a new found running game, and defensive ROY. Now all of the sudden they're no good. I agree with this assesment btw but none of you were saying this on Sunday morning. I also think the Jets have about as much room for improvment of anyone by the end of the year. The season is far from over.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Whichfan View Post
    Pretty much agree with everything you said. We're not. And frankly I like it. For once maybe people will realize we are not the 2007 Patriots and haven't been for some time and stop expecting us to blow you out or any other team by 20 points every time we face. The mere fact we made the Superbowl last year with the defense we had and lack of receiving threats is simply a testament of Brady's ability to complete so many damn short passes without any mistakes.

    But it's not the easiest or most efficient way to move the chains and score points.

    Having said that, I think this is a better team than last year's version, and it's simply a matter of McDaniel's tinkering with the offense a bit too much. I like the fact that he is putting more on the defense and the run game earlier in the season, and ironing out all the kinks now.

    I just hope he will have it all straightened out by the time it really counts.

    But yes, the best team in football right now is unquestionably the NY Giants.
    The Giants are only good because of Eli, and the fearless play calling he gets. Eli is only good because in his 4th year they continued to throw him into the fire no matter how badly he screwed up. Eli could not do what he does if they didn't give him multiple chances. Eli still screws up plenty, but they keep going back to him, especially on running downs.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The Giants are only good because of Eli, and the fearless play calling he gets. Eli is only good because in his 4th year they continued to throw him into the fire no matter how badly he screwed up. Eli could not do what he does if they didn't give him multiple chances. Eli still screws up plenty, but they keep going back to him, especially on running downs.
    Bull. The Giants have top talent at just about every freaking position on the team. Defense, receiver, rushers, special teams.

    The Giants are a complete team, and yes Eli is a big part of that team.

    Although I sense that your post is just stealthy implying that "Mark Sanchez needs more time to become Eli" .

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The Giants are only good because of Eli, and the fearless play calling he gets. Eli is only good because in his 4th year they continued to throw him into the fire no matter how badly he screwed up. Eli could not do what he does if they didn't give him multiple chances. Eli still screws up plenty, but they keep going back to him, especially on running downs.
    Are you really still trying to compare Sanchez to Eli?

    The reason the Giants kept going back to Eli is because Eli had all the tools.
    Sanchez does not, and the comparison is laughable.
    Sorry.

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    4,474
    The Jets consistently have a solid D and did a great job keeping the #1 ranked offense in check without Revis. I will say again that Rex's defensive scheme in the Pats playoff defeat a couple years back was nothing short of masterful.

    The Pats O while statistically #1 are not firing on all cylinders and can be even better so I wouldn't write them off so quickly. Brady does struggle with the deep ball but they are pass/run balanced and he has a ton of targets to game plan for. The offense will take a huge hit if they are dumb enough let Welker walk at the end of the season.

    The Pat's Achilles’ heel is obviously their secondary and that will not be improving anytime soon. The much beleaguered Sanchez hung 300+ yards on them as did the bottom ranked Seattle passing attack. Can you imagine would Rodgers would do?

    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Are you really still trying to compare Sanchez to Eli?

    The reason the Giants kept going back to Eli is because Eli had all the tools.
    Sanchez does not, and the comparison is laughable.
    Sorry.
    That raises an intersting question. How would Sanchez perform it he were on the Giants' QB and Eli was on the Jets?
    Last edited by PatriotReign; 10-23-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us