Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Rex Ryan vs. 1999 Bill Parcells

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

2012 Rex Ryan vs. 1999 Bill Parcells

In both seasons, the Jets had devastating injuries earlier in the season. So far through the first 7 games Ryan's team has reacted better than Parcells' team.

Ryan: 3-4
    Parcells: 1-6

Now the 1999 Jets finished 8-8, which is what I expect these Jets to do as well.

So this talk about firing Rex Ryan. Stop it. Please. If they had quit on him the last few weeks, then I would be with you.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I think of '99, I think of Bill Parcells CONTINUOUSLY trying to shove Rick Mirer down our collective throats when he had a legit shot at the Postseason had he inserted Ray Lucas in earlier than he did.

Would've loved to see what Ray could've done in the Postseason.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    In both seasons, the Jets had devastating injuries earlier in the season. So far through the first 7 games Ryan's team has reacted better than Parcells' team.

Now the 1999 Jets finished 8-8, which is what I expect these Jets to do as well.

So this talk about firing Rex Ryan. Stop it. Please. If they had quit on him the last few weeks, then I would be with you.
    There are 9 games left on the schedule. Lets see how this team plays towards the end. Keep in mind the 99 team finished the season 7-2. If Ryan's team does the same he deserves serious Coach of the Year consideration.

That being said these are 2 very different teams. The 2012 team is much younger, has greater upside potential.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    There are 9 games left on the schedule. Lets see how this team plays towards the end. Keep in mind the 99 team finished the season 7-2. If Ryan's team does the same he deserves serious Coach of the Year consideration.

That being said these are 2 very different teams. The 2012 team is much younger, has greater upside potential.
    Along that line, I think the biggest take from this season so far is the performance of the rookies. Every one of them has made an impact and has looked okay. Even Coples, who was compared to Gholston, has already done more than he ever did.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

I am NOT on the fire REX bandwagon. he is learning the hard way , at OUR expense. That loss however is on HIM and Sparano yesterday. The 2 minutes in regulation cost us. A GOOD coach finishes that game, burns clock etc. mark walked off the field with the lead.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I am NOT on the fire REX bandwagon. he is learning the hard way , at OUR expense. That loss is on HIM yesterday. The 2 minutes in regulation cost us. A GOOD coach finishes that game, burns clock etc. mark walked off the field with the lead.
    What do you think Rex could have done differently?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't see many people call for Rex to get fired. Most of the venom is being directed at Sanchez, some towards Tannenbaum.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I haven't see many people call for Rex to get fired. Most of the venom is being directed at Sanchez, some towards Tannenbaum.
    Except for the unofficial "Fire Rex and Tanny thread" and SAR's usual bluster.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Parcells lost his QB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    Parcells lost his QB.
    Yes. I thought someone would say this. My defense? It was VINNY TESTAVERDE. Not Tom Brady. Not Brett Farve. Vinny Testaverde, who had only one good year in his career up to that point. He also had a hall of fame running back. Surely Bill could have found a proper replacement.

Who's replacing Darrelle Revis?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Yeah I think Rex's job is safe at this point. He is getting what he can out of this roster right now. Has he been perfect? No, far from it, but I don't think the team is under .500 because of the head coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    What do you think Rex could have done differently?
    Run Greene or Tebow on 3rd down at the 3 and grow balls and run on 4th if we dont get in.

How about make certain we burn more clock after we pick up the fumble?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I thought someone would say this. My defense? It was VINNY TESTAVERDE. Not Tom Brady. Not Brett Farve. Vinny Testaverde, who had only one good year in his career up to that point.
    Yeah, seriously only the AFC Championship game the year before.

This team is nothing like that team... and Rex is nothing like Parcells.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Along that line, I think the biggest take from this season so far is the performance of the rookies. Every one of them has made an impact and has looked okay. Even Coples, who was compared to Gholston, has already done more than he ever did.
    Yes. I am very interested in how our rookies and younger players progress over the year. Especially interested in Coples, Wilkerson, Davis, Stephen Hill, Kerley, Austin Howard, Reuland, Damon Harrison, Dowtin, and Antonio Allen do with more playing time. These guys are our future, and the playing time they see now will have direct impact on the teams future direction, even if it comes at growing pains this year.

If these guys continue to mature and show promise, and we eventually get a few good OLBs, this team has a bright future.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Run Greene or Tebow on 3rd down at the 3 and grow balls and run on 4th if we dont get in.

How about make certain we burn more clock after we pick up the fumble?
    He tried to run clock after the fumble. He called run twice. How else are you supposed to run clock? And then, he tried to convert via passing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    When I think of '99, I think of Bill Parcells CONTINUOUSLY trying to shove Rick Mirer down our collective throats when he had a legit shot at the Postseason had he inserted Ray Lucas in earlier than he did.

Would've loved to see what Ray could've done in the Postseason.
    one and done. Yep Ray would've gone reallllllll far.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I thought someone would say this. My defense? It was VINNY TESTAVERDE. Not Tom Brady. Not Brett Farve. Vinny Testaverde, who had only one good year in his career up to that point. He also had a hall of fame running back. Surely Bill could have found a proper replacement.

Who's replacing Darrelle Revis?
    yeah, but Vinny was coming off that great year. To minimize losing Testeverde is revisionist history. Parcell's biggest mistake that season was not acquiring a solid B/U QB and wasting half a season on Rick Mirer.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    Parcells lost his QB.
    Whom I believe was named to the pro bowl the previous season after putting together his best season ever with a passer rating of 101. Losing your pro-bowl QB with no experienced QB at back-up is NOT the equivalent of losing any other player at another position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Parcells lost a Pro Bowl QB.

Ryan lost a Pro Bowl CB.

Let me ask you when was the last time a Pro Bowl CB won a Super Bowl more so than a Pro Bowl QB.

I'll wait.

Also, both will finish 8-8, so this will all be moot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex doesn't need to be fired he need some better offensive minds around him.. He needs a better gm in a sense of putting better talent on the field for Rex to use.

The fact that Thomas and pace are still starting tell u everything u need to know about our gm.